George Hopkins vs. Scott Stewart

Poll  

213 members have voted

1. 1. Whose views do you agree with more, and whose plans would you like to see enacted?

• George Hopkins'
    • Scott Stewart's

As another one of those old pharts who's been in the activity since Lassie was a pup...I add

...or the instruments.

Will drum corps survive if the only people buying tickets and merchandise are the members' parents? If so, then the attitude that drum corps is only about what happens off the performance field will float. If not, then some consideration of the audience will have to be factored in.

I know that when I marched we cared more about the audience reaction than our score. Getting a reaction from them was definitely part of the experience. It isn't the only thing that you get out of it, but I didn't know anybody involved in drum corps that had the kind of contempt for the fans that some of you in this thread do.

Edited by Tekneek

• Replies 414
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My question is, why should I have to accomodate woodwinds in drum corps if I already get it in marching band?

It makes sense because of this that you said...

the level of excellence in the corps

There is no equivalent opportunity for 1/2 of the winds to experience that level.

I believe the original question was about "plans" and "views", not about Stewart and Hopkins personally.

It's just a difference in priorities. Stewart's priorities were pretty basic:

1. The experience of the members

2. Financial responsibility

3. Entertaining shows

4. Remaining true to the origins of the activity

Same as Hopkins.

School shootings are still not very common. Are they more common than they used to be? Yeah, probably.

However, students in the United States had about a 0.000074% chance of being killed in a school shooting in 2007, and those statistics are skewed because of the unusually large amount of deaths at Virginia Tech. Excluding those 33 people being killed in a school shooting is approximately equal with being struck by lightning in terms of number of people who died from it in 2007.

I would call that isolated incidents.

A VERY small percentage of students will ever have to deal with a school shooting.

Excuse me? You can't dismiss a viable statistic because it doesn't fit the result you want! Irregardless of the subject matter. In anycase what were the chances of a school shooting 40 years ago? Is it more now?

The event happened and the deaths at VT are as valid and tragic as any other and those people count. There were a lot of kids killed in Lancaster County, PA, too. Let's exclude them because they mess up your argument.

However, if you wish to believe we don't live in a more violent society now, than what was around 40 years ago...go right ahead. Just make sure your windows and doors are locked - you never know when lightning may strike.

Sorry again folks.

Honest, he gets the last word. I won't reply here again, for this.

Will drum corps survive if the only people buying tickets and merchandise are the members' parents? If so, then the attitude that drum corps is only about what happens off the performance field will float. If not, then some consideration of the audience will have to be factored in.

Drum corps survived and thrived to the tune of many hundreds, maybe thousands of drum corps, with only members' parents buying tickets and supporting their kids' activity.

Trying to attain some sort of mass appeal is what is taxing the activity.

Sure, bands may have taken the place of the old local corps and more people watch the bands shows. Why? Because the usually bigger bands have more parents and family members involved. No mainstream people ever did or will watch DC.

No matter how many bpm you march, most people find it boring. The heck with them.

Keep drum corps for drum corps.

I know that when I marched we cared more about the audience reaction than our score. Getting a reaction from them was definitely part of the experience. It isn't the only thing that you get out of it, but I didn't know anybody involved in drum corps that had the kind of contempt for the fans that some of you in this thread do.

Even if what you say is true, and I don't believe it for a minute, actually, nothing in what you posted had anything to do with the instruments.

You said it is ridiculous for WW to march, period.

From my point of view that is true, but as long as they stick to the venues already open to them there is little room for conflict. I know they are in marching band and that I generally don't care for it. That gives me the option to avoid it. The only thing I've seen that is more ridiculous than some marching clarinet player hyping after his solo was the emo kid's script with The Cadets this past summer.

Marching band is an already existing venue for marching woodwinds. Drum corps is drums, brass, and guard. I cannot imagine ever understanding why woodwinds have to be involved. At best, a new classification of drum corps could be created without instrument limitations. The idea that the entire activity should be subject to woodwind inclusion all of a sudden is very unappealing to me.

Drum corps survived and thrived to the tune of many hundreds, maybe thousands of drum corps, with only members' parents buying tickets and supporting their kids' activity.

You're telling me that drum corps was once only supported by the parents of the members? That doesn't mesh well with my understanding of drum corps. Which period was this?

From my point of view that is true, but as long as they stick to the venues already open to them there is little room for conflict. I know they are in marching band and that I generally don't care for it. That gives me the option to avoid it. The only thing I've seen that is more ridiculous than some marching clarinet player hyping after his solo was the emo kid's script with The Cadets this past summer.

Marching band is an already existing venue for marching woodwinds. Drum corps is drums, brass, and guard. I cannot imagine ever understanding why woodwinds have to be involved. At best, a new classification of drum corps could be created without instrument limitations. The idea that the entire activity should be subject to woodwind inclusion all of a sudden is very unappealing to me.

My preference has always been for a new 'anything goes' division.