George Hopkins vs. Scott Stewart

Poll  

213 members have voted

1. 1. Whose views do you agree with more, and whose plans would you like to see enacted?

• George Hopkins'
    • Scott Stewart's

Even if what you say is true, and I don't believe it for a minute, actually, nothing in what you posted had anything to do with the instruments.

You don't believe for a second that I didn't know anybody with as much contempt for the audience as some in this thread appear to be? You also don't believe for a second that when I marched we cared more about the reaction to our show from the crowd than the judges? You sure make a lot of assumptions about something you weren't around to experience first hand. I wouldn't presume to make such judgments about you and your personal experiences. I'd like to say I am surprised by this from you, but that would be a lie.

• Replies 414
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You said it is ridiculous for WW to march, period.

Ah, Mike, it's true. Woodwind players can't march and they look silly doing it.

Most woodwinds, OK, the ones I have taught drill to, don't want to march. I know you have, but I have never met a woodwind player that liked to march.

However, I'm Ok with woodwinds on the field - in band.

Long live drum and bugle corps!

^OO^

Excuse me? You can't dismiss a viable statistic because it doesn't fit the result you want! Irregardless of the subject matter. In anycase what were the chances of a school shooting 40 years ago? Is it more now?

The event happened and the deaths at VT are as valid and tragic as any other and those people count. There were a lot of kids killed in Lancaster County, PA, too. Let's exclude them because they mess up your argument.

However, if you wish to believe we don't live in a more violent society now, than what was around 40 years ago...go right ahead. Just make sure your windows and doors are locked - you never know when lightning may strike.

Sorry again folks.

Honest, he gets the last word. I won't reply here again, for this.

I provided the numbers including the VT tragedy. And believe me, as an alumnus of Virginia Tech who had a friend die in that attack I am in no way trying to marginalize their deaths. However it is very much the exception when it comes to school shootings. The vast majority have 1 or 2 people die. If I had used the numbers from 2006 instead of 2007 I would have gotten similar results as you get when you exclude those 33.

I would advise you to take a quick look here

http://www.disastercenter.com/crime/uscrime.htm

The last time the violent crime rate in the USA was as low as it was the past few years was 1977.

For murder it was 1966.

1978 for aggravated assault.

There is actually LESS CRIME now than there was 20 years ago. By a WIDE margin across the board.

Things are getting better, not worse.

I provided the numbers including the VT tragedy. And believe me, as an alumnus of Virginia Tech who had a friend die in that attack I am in no way trying to marginalize their deaths. However it is very much the exception when it comes to school shootings. The vast majority have 1 or 2 people die. If I had used the numbers from 2006 instead of 2007 I would have gotten similar results as you get when you exclude those 33.

I would advise you to take a quick look here

http://www.disastercenter.com/crime/uscrime.htm

The last time the violent crime rate in the USA was as low as it was the past few years was 1977.

For murder it was 1966.

1978 for aggravated assault.

There is actually LESS CRIME now than there was 20 years ago. By a WIDE margin across the board.

Things are getting better, not worse.

AAAAAAAaaaaaaaaargh. keeping mouth shut. :sshh:

You don't believe for a second that I didn't know anybody with as much contempt for the audience as some in this thread appear to be? You also don't believe for a second that when I marched we cared more about the reaction to our show from the crowd than the judges? You sure make a lot of assumptions about something you weren't around to experience first hand. I wouldn't presume to make such judgments about you and your personal experiences. I'd like to say I am surprised by this from you, but that would be a lie.

Corps when I marched focussed on perfecting and honing their shows...tweaking this and that...watering this part, beefing up that part...etc...to lose as many tics as possible. We worked for us, primarily, as did the other corps I knew.

There was no contempt for the audience, but they were never the primary reason for us to participate and rehearse our butts off.