George Hopkins vs. Scott Stewart

Poll  

213 members have voted

1. 1. Whose views do you agree with more, and whose plans would you like to see enacted?

• George Hopkins'
    • Scott Stewart's

• Replies 414
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ahhh, yes. Kids are much more civilized today. The level of violence with youngsters is much more extreme now. I don't remember a single school shooting while I was growing up. School yard brawl, sure, I was involved in my share, too, but now kids die over someone being teased a little or over what shoes they're wearing. Yeah, kids are much more civilized today.

In anycase, I was making a humorous comparison and using hyperbole.

Yes times change - not always for the better.

Read Fist, Stick, Knife, Gun to verify what you say as the truth.

Would you like it better if I said his vision didn't succeed?

HH

The only place it didn't succeed was within the DCI BoD. Everywhere else it has and still does.

OK. Since DC does indeed = MB, there's no longer any reason to pay attention to DC.

But, as you know, DC does not = MB. It never has. They are similar in some respects and they are unique in other respects. That's why some people pay more attention to DC and some more to MB.

You were, and those of you who chose to do that deserve commendation for your willingness to meet DCI halfway...I just don't think you should have to. And I'm sorry, but I don't come back from drum corps even as good as the other college music majors on horn at my university, let alone the country...when aspiring to reach a professional level of performance on your primary instrument, as I am, drum corps can be a considerable yearly obstacle when your primary instrument is not part of the instrumentation. If your experience has been different, that's fantastic...but I still have to beg to differ.

And that's just plain selfish (bold emphasis mine). When Bo Jackson decided to play baseball, he didn't demand that they hand him the ball and run down the field with it. He learned and practiced what was necessary to play that sport at that level. When Michael Jordan tried it and failed, did he cry foul? Did he say that baseball must allow him to slam dunk so he could continue to play? No. The world doesn't change for you. If you have a dream, step up and go for it. Then when you succeed, you will feel that more accomplished. If you compel an activity to change for your own desire, what have you accomplished?

I want drum corps to be an idiom that is musically respected, God forbid that happen. College professors and band teachers shouldn't lament their students going off to march, they should know that those students will get a first-rate education, intensive training, and come back better prepared for the concert season.

And that they will indeed get.

Moreover, adding woodwinds and proper instrumentation isn't about "universal acceptance," it's about improving and sustaining our activity. It's not like Harvard is having a shortage of applicants and having to close down programs because they can't get enough warm bodies...

So drum corps will die if woodwinds are not allowed in?

I love how everyone has just ignored my points about woodwinds being impractical to rehearsals in a drum corps environment.

All brass&drums: rehearsal goes on no matter what (except lightning). Woodwinds: stop the practice, get all the instruments out of the weather. And even potentially doing many, many pad jobs on tour.

It's just not feasible or sustainable on tour..

And that's just plain selfish (bold emphasis mine). When Bo Jackson decided to play baseball, he didn't demand that they hand him the ball and run down the field with it. He learned and practiced what was necessary to play that sport at that level. When Michael Jordan tried it and failed, did he cry foul? Did he say that baseball must allow him to slam dunk so he could continue to play? No. The world doesn't change for you. If you have a dream, step up and go for it. Then when you succeed, you will feel that more accomplished. If you compel an activity to change for your own desire, what have you accomplished?

I have dedicated myself and I have succeeded and others have as well. But unlike many of you, I personally knew many woodwind musicians coming out of high school who wanted to march corps but didn't because they couldn't march on their primary instrument.

And that they will indeed get.

So drum corps will die if woodwinds are not allowed in?

I swear to God, I think I'll die when DCP finally STOPS being about putting words in others' mouths.

I have dedicated myself and I have succeeded and others have as well. But unlike many of you, I personally knew many woodwind musicians coming out of high school who wanted to march corps but didn't because they couldn't march on their primary instrument.

Are there really people out there playing woodwinds that are not capable of learning a brass instrument? Maybe they could learn how to play some pit instruments? Or guard work? I find it hard to believe that there are woodwind players out there that cannot find a way into drum corps if they really wanted to.