Super Mario Galaxy

There is one glaring omission from the DCI repertoire: video game music. Seriously. Some of this stuff is amazing. I know Blue Stars did a Final Fantasy show a few years back, but there are literally tens of thousands of pieces of spectacular work that could be used. As a start, I suggest a show based entirely on the music of Super Mario Galaxy, which would actually make for a pretty awesome theme.

Opener Part 1

Interlude

Opener Part 2

Jazzy Piece

Ballad

Percussion Feature

Closer

I encourage everyone to give these a listen. Tell me what you think.

Edited by Hrothgar15

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is one glaring omission from the DCI repertoire: video game music. Seriously. Some of this stuff is amazing. I know Blue Stars did a Final Fantasy show a few years back, but there are literally tens of thousands of pieces of spectacular work that could be used. As a start, I suggest a show based entirely on the music of Super Mario Galaxy, which would actually make for a pretty awesome theme.

Opener Part 1

Interlude

Opener Part 2

Jazzy Piece

Ballad

Percussion Feature

Closer

Not bad. Another good VG music idea would be Jeremy Soule's magnificent soundtrack to The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion. A magnificent full orchestral score that would rival a movie soundtrack. Another great source could be the Music from the Halo trilogy or the electronic music :bluedevil: from the just released Mass Effect.

Edited by tubamann

Opener Part 1

Interlude

Opener Part 2

Jazzy Piece

Ballad

Percussion Feature

Closer

Cool music...a little on the slow side, but im all for more video game music. Ive always wanted to write a 'gasp' marching band show that utilizes it well.

Video game music is very overlooked in the marching genre, although I've seen a bit more now than I have been it seems. I've partially written a marching band show based off of the music from Metroid, and a ballad from the ghost house on Mario World.

I'm listening now, and from what I hear so far, a lot o fit would translate very well.

From the Nintendo Website:

While we are grateful for all the requests for permission to use Nintendo properties, we are not able to grant such requests. We receive thousands of requests and we do not have adequate staffing to review them all. Therefore, our general policy is to decline requests for permission for the use of Nintendo properties.

Although we are not able to grant permission, use of Nintendo's properties without formal permission by Nintendo may still be allowed under the relevant laws of the particular jurisdiction involved. Thus, we encourage you to seek your own legal counsel if you have any questions about whether your particular proposed use is permitted without Nintendo's authorization. Nintendo cannot provide legal advice.

Maybe the 2nd paragraph is how they're getting around it. Not sure...

Not bad. Another good VG music idea would be Jeremy Soule's magnificent soundtrack to The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion. A magnificent full orchestral score that would rival a movie soundtrack. Another great source could be the Music from the Halo trilogy or the electronic music :cool: from the just released Mass Effect.

Memory could prove me wrong but I'm pretty sure it was Center Grove HS who had the music of Halo in their 2006 WGI Scholastic World program. I don't remember what the show was about or called... but I'm sure there was Halo in there.

I agree though. Halo is an exceptional example of a huge pool of video game tracks that would make great shows.

Zelda, Final Fantasy, Sid Mier's Civilization, Half-Life, Call of Duty, are just a few that come to mind off the top of my head. Great idea though.