Super Mario Galaxy

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Memory could prove me wrong but I'm pretty sure it was Center Grove HS who had the music of Halo in their 2006 WGI Scholastic World program. I don't remember what the show was about or called... but I'm sure there was Halo in there.

I agree though. Halo is an exceptional example of a huge pool of video game tracks that would make great shows.

Zelda, Final Fantasy, Sid Mier's Civilization, Half-Life, Call of Duty, are just a few that come to mind off the top of my head. Great idea though.

Sandra Day O'Connor HS did it in 2005 and blew everyone out of the water. I had the privilege to talk to the director there and her philosophy is to do music that is current and fun for the kids that every "band nerd" can relate to. That's why they did X-men 2 years ago and Cowboy Bebop this past year. I think they were the first to pull off a Halo show and it got put up on the net on some fanboy website...it was nice to see a marching band get some love from another group of nerds.

But yeah, video game music is largely unexplored. A lot of those japanese composers could write a bunch of cool stuff for DCI but they probably have never heard of it.

I'm pretty sure you're dealing with two different kinds of copyright when it comes to DCI vs. Cal's video game show. With Cal, they were only arranging it for a home football game, with no intention of profiting off of the performance (people came to see the game, not the half-time show). DCI's problem is that they are selling tickets to the performances of these copyrighted works and selling DVDs with these arrangements on them. That's a whole different ballgame.

I love the soundtrack of Super Mario Galaxy, as well as several other games, but for some reason I've never really had the desire to see them arranged as marching shows. I dunno why, I guess I just like to keep my video games and drum corps separate.

Getting the copyright permission for any music from over in Japan, especially from anime or video games, is tough. When I was teaching Blue Stars in 04 for the anime music show, it took us forever to secure the final copyrights to a couple of the tunes we did, just because of some of the legal rigamaroles involved. I would imagine, though, that it would be better to contact the composers or the representatives directly, rather than Nintendo, since like the earlier post said, Nintendo gets a million letters a year about it and isn't really set up for that, while the composers and/or their agents are there for that purpose.

I always thought "PONG" would be cool on the field. A break in the music... and a marimba goes "plunk"..........."plunk"..........."plunk-it"............"plunk".............then the horns come in............."WEARRRRRRPP!!!". The drill would look like the game. Yea, that'd be cool.

U of California Golden Bear marching band. Great video! Pong (DM's bouncing back and forth as they came down the screen/field), Tetris, Super Mario and a few others. Very fun!

This would make a great show and would present several great opportunities for visual stuff. Costumes, props, implements, etc. Video is on youtube last time I checked.

Reminded me of the MIT Tuba section incident from a cartoon many years ago...something went horribly wrong in the tuba section during the splitting of the atom move...nuclear mushroom cloud appears on the field! Creative. That kind of stuff just doesn't happen at North Texas.

Not bad. Another good VG music idea would be Jeremy Soule's magnificent soundtrack to The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion. A magnificent full orchestral score that would rival a movie soundtrack. Another great source could be the Music from the Halo trilogy or the electronic music :cool: from the just released Mass Effect.

Halo and Oblivion...definitely