Uniforms

I predict new uniforms for Madison.......again. :inlove:

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you really sure? I personally think it'd be kind of nice to see "AJ WRIGHT" spelled out across a corps as they hit a company front or big arc...

Something more like "Microsoft", "ARCO", "Panasonic", etc... is more likely....AJ WRIGHT does not have the deep pockets that could justify incorporating sponsorship brand into the uniform.

I think I mentioned something like this on another thread recently that DCI REALLY needs to go after some deep pockets to keep this activity going without pricing it out of reach for 90% of the kids out there. If you are wondering how sponsorships would look take a look at the uniforms/clothing of F1, MotoGP/Superbike, Tour De France cycling teams, and NASCAR. Logos can be stylistically incorporated into the uniform in such a way as to not be visible to 80% of the audience, they would see colors/patterns at that distance. While I am not enthusiastic about this possibility I would welcome it if it meant more financially stable corps and more kids able to participate in the activity. I mean, when you get down to it, there is not much out there that is more wholesome than Drum & Bugle Corps. That is a great selling point to prospective sponsors.

kinda unrelated, but has a corps (or how many have) done what SCV did the last couple of years where the trumpets carried mutes in a little pouch on their unis???

1983 Freelancers...the Mellophones carried flugels on a hook on the hip the entire show, we swapped them for one tune (don't remember which)

1984 Freelancers...the Mellophones carried flugels and sops, one on each hip ( the rest of the middle horns carried a sop on the hip) the entire middle horn line played sop at the beginning of the opener along with the rifle line...I think that was 48 sops. Don't remember which tune we played flugel in.

the hooks were made out of coat hangers and wrapped with electrical tape, they were attached to a leather belt we wore under our uniforms, luckily the pants we wore already had a little slot at the hip.

In terms of advertising, I really honestly wouldn't mind wearing a nice "Vic Firth" logo or a "Pearl" or "Dynasty" logo on my uniform. I advertise certain percussion products anyway, so its cool. I dont advertise anything else.

I've talked with some Fred J. Miller people about this....

and i think honestly you're going to see a trend more like Carolina Crown's from 2007...A basic uniform with some ability to change each year (plume, sash, chest emblem) Those are the so called 'cheaper' part of the uniforms, and allows them to slightly cater to the show each year (ie. what crown did...member got to keep their sash and emblem from this year-creates a neat keepsake if you don't always get a ring =P)

I personally see nothing wrong with it...as long as it doesn't get carried away.

This is a trend that I'm not sure I like... speaking as an individual, a corps uniform is its identity, and I don't like to see the unmistakable image of it sacrificed just for the sake of a single show, like Phantom 07 or Cadets 06.

I know that there are a lot of issues people could take with this viewpoint, but it's just my personal opinion.

my opinons:

BD: go back to their last uniform before the track suit

Cadets and Cavies: they'll never change, and that's cool. just no more pastel flowers and butterflies on the backs

PR: black on black. or at least white on black. no more light blue EVER

Bluecoats: go back to the old uni, i really, really hate the new one. especially the guantlet on the chest

SCV: stick with what you have, i like it

Crown: go back to last year's

Madison: go back to 03-05 uni. or at least wear white pants again

Bluestars: find something new. didn't like the old unis, don't like the new ones

S-Dub: when you return, stick with the yellow. someone needs to.

any other corps: stick with what you have. it's either fine, or i don't care.

sorry dude, but I seriously doubt any of that will happen. We're being asked how uniforms are going to change in the next 5-10 years, and I don't really see any corps going backwards.

~>conner

I would like to see less of the winged shoulders.

They are cool for some corps, but it seems like everybody

had them this past season.

Cavie's tops will get even shorter, Cadets will march on stilts to emphasize their legs even more, Crown will change to purple/maroon, phantom will go back to black, Blue devils will have blue candy-cane swirls, Scouts will change four more times, Bluecoats will go back to white pants, and Glassmen will go to helmets.

:worthy: Good stuff!