2008 Finals

Tickets could be more affordable if it were more affordable to rent the facility, put on the show, etc.

But I think the ticket options/bundles could be organized better. I don't mind the ticket prices per se, but not eveybody wants to go for 4-5 nights in a row...if fact, I'd be willing to pay a ton more for tickets, actually, but the fact that there aren't any really good seats available to me because I only want to go 2 days makes me not want to bother going at all.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If DCI was a well-run organization, it would anticipate that people would have some skepticism about buying tickets blindly. They seem to have gone to the total opposite extreme of when they allowed you to purchase exact seats (was that back in Orlando?) to where the section you select is so wide that you have better odds of winning the lottery than you have of guessing where your seat might be.

My biggest complaint is that DCI (the organization, not the individual corps) keeps increasing the price but has done nothing to improve the product. Each year they offer less for your money and give worse service. There was no excuse for the waiting lines to get into the Rose Bowl at finals this past year. This is just one of many problems DCI seems to have when running these major events. One would think the increased prices would offer a balance of more for your money, as well as more of your money going to support the corps.

And, in that regard, I’d be interested to know how much of the increased cost of finals tickets over the years has gone to the corps versus increased overhead, DCI salaries, etc.

There’s certainly a point at which less people attending a higher priced show is going to result in fewer dollars to support member corps than more people attending a cheaper show. So, rather than blind flag waving in favor of DCI, is it possible that the average fan (not the fanatics) have a point to consider here? If DCI really wanted Finals to be a product that exposes more people to the activity while increasing revenues for the member corps, wouldn’t it be better to find a way to bring down the costs? Would using lower cost stadiums (like Madison or University of Maryland) result in lower ticket costs, greater attendance, and more profit to share? Will attendance numbers drop over time because of the stupid idea of staying in the same place for ten years in a row? DCI seems to think the answer is to simply continue to increase the cost but hasn't figured (or even asked) what the fans want or are willing to accept.

Whole point of my post.

"It doesn't cost anything to put fuel in nor new tires on safe buses."

Yes it does. But the corps is responsible for that not DCI.

Discussion over... I win.

Sheesh. With a name like Ron Burgendy, I thought you might find it easier to Stay Classy.

But, I digress.

I'm assuming, since you speak with such an air of authority, that you DO realize that "the corps" ARE DCI.

The people who work in the office don't just decide to do whatever the heck they want to do... they are accountable to the head guy, who is accountable to the board of directors.

Thus, to go back to your original WHINING and INFLAMMATORY post, I say you should, in fact, go to the opera and free up another valuable seat for those of us who wish to enjoy the kids who enjoy drum corps. Trying to backpedal to say that DCI is an agency which is unilaterally "raping and pillaging" ticket purchasers is not an accurate characterization. The corps have to generate a considerable amount to pay the bills... and they split up what's left. It ain't much... but the fat lady ain't singin' yet, either.

If DCI was a well-run organization, it would anticipate that people would have some skepticism about buying tickets blindly. They seem to have gone to the total opposite extreme of when they allowed you to purchase exact seats (was that back in Orlando?) to where the section you select is so wide that you have better odds of winning the lottery than you have of guessing where your seat might be.

My biggest complaint is that DCI (the organization, not the individual corps) keeps increasing the price but has done nothing to improve the product. Each year they offer less for your money and give worse service. There was no excuse for the waiting lines to get into the Rose Bowl at finals this past year. This is just one of many problems DCI seems to have when running these major events. One would think the increased prices would offer a balance of more for your money, as well as more of your money going to support the corps.

And, in that regard, I'd be interested to know how much of the increased cost of finals tickets over the years has gone to the corps versus increased overhead, DCI salaries, etc.

There's certainly a point at which less people attending a higher priced show is going to result in fewer dollars to support member corps than more people attending a cheaper show. So, rather than blind flag waving in favor of DCI, is it possible that the average fan (not the fanatics) have a point to consider here? If DCI really wanted Finals to be a product that exposes more people to the activity while increasing revenues for the member corps, wouldn't it be better to find a way to bring down the costs? Would using lower cost stadiums (like Madison or University of Maryland) result in lower ticket costs, greater attendance, and more profit to share? Will attendance numbers drop over time because of the stupid idea of staying in the same place for ten years in a row? DCI seems to think the answer is to simply continue to increase the cost but hasn't figured (or even asked) what the fans want or are willing to accept.

What's that? You lost me at violence...

Fifteen yard penalty, loss of credibilty on the play.

It's a well-known fact that everyone at DCI, including even the part-time cleaning people, are incredibly wealthy, and the directors of the member-corps actually insist that they take larger and larger salary increases every year during their annual reviews. At least 90% of the money collected at the ticket windows and through the sales of DCI merchandise helps to add more pork to their barrels. The corps directors don't want any money for their organizations, so they formed DCI (the organization) so that everyone THERE could get rich from the efforts of their performances. It's a great system!

It's been stated here many times that the only thing rivaling the ivory towers of the DCI office are the fabulous heated pools and gated driveways attached to the incredible show homes of the office staff. One senior staffer apparently just installed a lighted lawn dart course in his massive back yard. I thought lawn darts were outlawed years ago? He must know someone.

Recently, to ease the parking difficulties in Addison, the board approved individual limousines for each of the employees to and from work. It keeps them from scratching their Jaguars and BMWs in the glittering office park where the sprawling glass and steel high-rise HQ is located.

They only keep one of the Town Cars around during the day, however, to run out for pop and to pick up sandwiches at lunchtime. The driver is an interesting older widower named Raphael. He's only been a citizen of this country for a short time, but is an extremely proud and punctual gentleman.

When you're done believing those fantasies, go to Guidestar.com and have a look around. You'll see that DCI is truly a non-profit, and the CEO seems to be UNDERcompensated for the job he does, especially when compared to other non-profits of similar size and budget.

Amazing how rumors get started, eh? :dry:

Sheesh. With a name like Ron Burgendy, I thought you might find it easier to Stay Classy.

But, I digress.

I'm assuming, since you speak with such an air of authority, that you DO realize that "the corps" ARE DCI.

The people who work in the office don't just decide to do whatever the heck they want to do... they are accountable to the head guy, who is accountable to the board of directors.

Thus, to go back to your original WHINING and INFLAMMATORY post, I say you should, in fact, go to the opera and free up another valuable seat for those of us who wish to enjoy the kids who enjoy drum corps. Trying to backpedal to say that DCI is an agency which is unilaterally "raping and pillaging" ticket purchasers is not an accurate characterization. The corps have to generate a considerable amount to pay the bills... and they split up what's left. It ain't much... but the fat lady ain't singin' yet, either.

Based on these two posts, I think it is YOU who need to consider the concept of "stay classy"!

And, if you want to look at "whining and inflammatory posts", just read your quotes that I supplied above. YOU jumped to a conclusion about my questioning the amount of increased ticket prices that has gone directly back to the corps versus to other things (salaries being only ONE of the things I listed). So, in your CLASSY style, you tried to do a major smear campaign against my even questioning where these additional funds went and blindly defended DCI based solely on a comparison of the salary of its CEO.

My point, if you had been CLASSY enough to ask rather than ASSume, is that I don't see DCI (the folks in the office) doing the smartest things in many cases. I find their customer service to be very poor and have often experienced a lack of concern even when their poor customer service has been brought to their attention (even in emails to and personal conversations with said CEO). I don't think they listen to the fans and, when they make an attempt to do so, they tend to ask questions to support their desired direction rather than giving open-ended opportunities to voice opinions.

As I stated (had you bothered to read more than the one part of the one sentence in my post that seems to have instigated your childish tirate) a well-run origanization would not have allowed people who paid $75 per seat to have to wait in those extremely long lines (in the hot sun) in Pasedena. A well-run organization would not have put a corps in a difficult situation and would have repainted the marks on the field between corps as DCI committed to do in planning meetings before the show. A well-run organization would test the warm up locations beforehand to be certain the sound doesn't overly affect the paying audience (especially those paying the most) and, therefore, avoid the problems we had at semis and quarters in Denver. A well-run organization would have immediately attended to the issue in Foxboro where the ringing bell from the service elevator distrubed many a corps finals performance for much of the audience. A well-run organization would better communicate information to its fans and the stadium personnel so that, year in year out, the members of Friends of DCI (I having been one for some 15 years) know about the finals get-together before they leave home for the Thursday show and can get direction from stadium personnel upon arriving rather than having to wander around for 45 minutes until you "happen upon it" like we did in Pasedena (with nobody wearing an official DCI shirt/lanyard having any clue where to direct me). And virtually every year there are significant issues like this that a well-run organization would have addressed or, at the very least, acknowledged and done better at in the future.

So, yes, I think there are MANY ways in which DCI could better spend the money they receive and I have EVERY right to question why the cost of finals tickets is going up and the service provided continues to be what I would rate a "D+"!

Edited by marshamello

ARE YOU KIDDING ME!?!?! $299 to see drum corps with cheapest seats being $179!?any other seats put you in the endzone! God I pay less to go see an opera. Is this becoming an "upper class" form of entertainment? Before you know it members will have to pay to get in to see the shows after they perform. Can you say Rape and Pillage? Discuss.

You're jumping the gun here.

Single event tickets go on sale in Spring 2008. The prices you're talking about is the package for Open Class Semifinals/Finals and World Class Prelims/Semifinals/Finals. If you just want to go to Finals, you'll be able to buy the individual tickets in a few months.

Edited by mbui

Geez - wake up and pay attention! This is a NEW stadium that does not have seats - the stadium is still under construction. You blast DCI for not being able to sell you something that doesn't exist. I am sure that next year (for 2009) you will be back to being able to buy specific seats just like all those other years when DCI provided that service - and all will be right with the world.

DCI "keeps increasing the price"? From 1996 until 2003 the price of a ticket to Finals was $25/$35/$55/$75 depending on where you sit. In 2004, they added a top price of $125 but kept all of the other prices. This pricing has remained constant from 2004 until the present. That is ONE price increase for DCI's premier event in 13 years. Please get your facts straight.

Can you still buy a ticket to the Super Bowl for the same price you paid in 1996?

And, in that regard, I’d be interested to know how much of the increased cost of finals tickets over the years has gone to the corps versus increased overhead, DCI salaries, etc.

The amount going back to the corps has varied (depending on the year) between 25% and 30% of the money DCI raises - usually closer to the 30%. In other words, when DCI raises more money, more money goes to the corps.

There’s certainly a point at which less people attending a higher priced show is going to result in fewer dollars to support member corps than more people attending a cheaper show. So, rather than blind flag waving in favor of DCI, is it possible that the average fan (not the fanatics) have a point to consider here? If DCI really wanted Finals to be a product that exposes more people to the activity while increasing revenues for the member corps, wouldn’t it be better to find a way to bring down the costs? Would using lower cost stadiums (like Madison or University of Maryland) result in lower ticket costs, greater attendance, and more profit to share? Will attendance numbers drop over time because of the stupid idea of staying in the same place for ten years in a row?

It would be interesting to know where you get your information from. For example, the University of Maryland was one of the MOST expensive venues that DCI has ever been to. And that is just the stadium costs - then add in the ridiculous hotel costs around Washington DC plus the cost of corps housing and other expenses.

DCI seems to think the answer is to simply continue to increase the cost but hasn't figured (or even asked) what the fans want or are willing to accept.

Actually, it seems the fans are willing to accept $125 for a top seat. DCI sells out those best seats every year. If the fans were not willing to accept that price, that would not happen. Most likely, DCI is underpricing these seats. Limited supply versus high demand usually means a higher equilibrium pricing point.

But - like I said before you can still get in to that same Finals show for $25. What's that you say, you don't like those seats? - well that's your choice then and you have now made a values judgement outside of DCI pricing policies. You do not have to buy them - you can watch Quartefinals in the theatre or stream Semifinals on your computer. Or, you can just get on line and bid $2,500 for some Hannah Montana tickets. Your choice - isn't this a great country? :dry:

Based on these two posts, I think it is YOU who need to consider the concept of "stay classy"!

Obviously, you never saw the movie "Anchorman." Never mind. Sorry to have wasted a joke on ya.

I certainly have no desire to turn this forum into a private conversation between the two of us, madam, so I will say this about your earlier response to my post.

I am not on this board to be an apologist for DCI. I don't know most of the people who work there, but I'm sure they're fine people at that. I can tell you that in my admittedly limited interaction with their customer service department, I have been met with nothing but friendly, attentive and professional responses.

From what I read, from what I discuss with others and from what I've learned through observation over the years, DCI is not unlike many non-profits in that it does the best with what it has. In your opinion, that's not enough. You're certainly entitled to your opinion.

So, to your point, maybe DCI "the organization" and DCI "the association of members" are their own worst enemy. Maybe the quality of what they're doing has grown to the point where its bordering on professional enough that you and others like you expect it to be TOTALLY professional.

A stadium half-full vs. a stadium half-empty, perhaps.

I say kudos to DCI for getting this far. I hope they'll continue to grow as an "organization" and as "an association," because both of those things translate into more opportunities for kids to experience drum corps in various ways and through various means. I know the money I'm spending each year with them amounts to little more than a drop in the bucket... but I guess it's all about economies of scale and power in numbers of people like me who continue to show up and support the effort.

Others may say, "DOWN with DCI" for not doing enough. I have made the decision to be a part of the solution, and I encourage you and everyone else to do the same. Is waiting in line a perfect situation? No... but I consider it a small price to pay for getting to see a piece of history. Like one of the directors told his kids in the ESPN show, "when is the next time you'll get to play on the field of the Rose Bowl?" To you it might have been an inconvenience. For them, it was an experience of a lifetime.

Edited by corpsvalues

As I stated (had you bothered to read more than the one part of the one sentence in my post that seems to have instigated your childish tirate) a well-run origanization would not have allowed people who paid $75 per seat to have to wait in those extremely long lines (in the hot sun) in Pasedena.

First off, it is Un-American to not wait in lines. You pay $60 to go to Six Flags, and all you do is wait in line.

You pay a fortune at the post office, and they are notorious for making you wait.

You go to the DMV and that's all you do, and if your lucky you get seen.

Stop your whining about lines. My god, waaaaaaa I had to wait in a line to get to my seat. I guarentee you that sports fans at stadiums like Giants Stadium where every game for the next 20 years is sold out have to wait in line to enter the stadium.

Someone needs to stop expecting the world to come to him and realize they have to take the bad with the good and suck it up like everyone else does, because we realize that sweating the small stuff isn't important in life.

Oh yea, and people like you make the "Customer is always right" motto incorrect.

DCI provides the service, they never said "Come to the stadium and you will walk right to your seat without waiting."

Cost of tickets? Oh yea, SHAME ON YOU DCI for not getting a brand new stadium for the next 10 years or so for free! How can you cheat your customers by making us pay more because you can't make a good deal.