2008 Finals

Its not the price that bugs me – its committing to buying seats before you know where the seats are that bugs me – sorry, but that nearly end zone to end zone spread of sup pre is a bit too vague – and if you don’t buy sight unseen, chances are your seats will be even worse

All hail the black market

When I think of what I had to pay for extra world series tickets that were not on my season tix plan…it seems like a bargain but then again, this is not the world series

I hope DCI understands who is actually buying these ticket packs (old timers) and generally what their views are (no electronics) when they sit down for rules voting

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Surprise Surprise, cowtown doesn't like something.

Well let's see what $299 buys you?

Open Semifinals - 18 corps at an average of 10 minutes/corps = 180 minutes = 3 hours

Open Finals - 12 corps at an average of 10 minutes/corps = 120 minutes = 2 hours

World Quarterfinals - 24 corps at an average of 10 minutes/corps = 240 minutes = 4 hours

World Semi finals - 17 corps at an average of 10 minutes/corps = 170 minutes = 2 hours 50 minutes

World Finals - 12 corps etc... = 120 minutes = 2 hours

so that is about 14 hours of entertainment (not counting anything other than the competing corps)

this equates to about $21 an hour or $3.50/corps performance

Sounds pretty reasonable to me

It doesn't cost anything to put fuel in nor new tires on safe buses.

It doesn't cost anything to buy new musical instruments.

(You can just go down to your local instrument pile and take whatever you want.)

It doesn't cost anything to hire incredible music educators to teach corps members.

No one has to pay for musical arrangements or for licensing to the publishers. It's free for the asking!

All the food you could ever want is free! Take it! There's plenty more where that came from!

Bus and truck drivers are willing to work for free!

Uniforms are endless and don't cost anything either.

Stadiums don't charge anything for rentals to marching music groups.

No one needs any sort of insurance in this day and age.

Judges work for free, and they pay their own way to shows and sleep in their own cars.

You're right! This is highway robbery!

Can you say "get over yourself," and "grow up?"

Discuss.

Thank You sir may I have another.

I think these prices are very fair.

and have you heard the concept of inflation?

Well let's see what $299 buys you?

Open Semifinals - 18 corps at an average of 10 minutes/corps = 180 minutes = 3 hours

Open Finals - 12 corps at an average of 10 minutes/corps = 120 minutes = 2 hours

World Quarterfinals - 24 corps at an average of 10 minutes/corps = 240 minutes = 4 hours

World Semi finals - 17 corps at an average of 10 minutes/corps = 170 minutes = 2 hours 50 minutes

World Finals - 12 corps etc... = 120 minutes = 2 hours

so that is about 14 hours of entertainment (not counting anything other than the competing corps)

this equates to about $21 an hour or $3.50/corps performance

Sounds pretty reasonable to me

well when you put it that way....lol... :laughing:

Its not the price that bugs me – its committing to buying seats before you know where the seats are that bugs me – sorry, but that nearly end zone to end zone spread of sup pre is a bit too vague – and if you don’t buy sight unseen, chances are your seats will be even worse

All hail the black market

When I think of what I had to pay for extra world series tickets that were not on my season tix plan…it seems like a bargain but then again, this is not the world series

I hope DCI understands who is actually buying these ticket packs (old timers) and generally what their views are (no electronics) when they sit down for rules voting

Then may I suggest you go when the STADIUM IS NOT BRAND SPANKING NEW...............JESUS CHRISTMAS!

Anyone else want to complain, because I am kind of worried about the financial stabilty of the activity, heck in five years we might be talking why they are cancelling an entire season!

if there isnt a deal to just buy one show tickets yet, there will be. Just because its 299 for 5 shows doesnt mean you'll pay that much for one show. DCI isn't THAT stupid, they will get the individual ticket prices out, and hopefully not much higher than last year (probly will be a bit higher because of using the next stadium? i would presume)

Then may I suggest you go when the STADIUM IS NOT BRAND SPANKING NEW...............JESUS CHRISTMAS

No, I get that but when you ordered early in the past online, it was still the case

last year in the Rose Bowl IN A REALLY OLD STADIUM I bought them on line sight unseen and I wish I would not have - I could have scalped better seats - In Madison, I dumped my through DCI tickets at a huge loss to upgrade to scalped seats

I’d pay more for a guarantee of certain seats; they need a more narrow range of seat selections in their tiers

again, the price does not bother me but I would like to know the seats before I hit the buy button

Then may I suggest you go when the STADIUM IS NOT BRAND SPANKING NEW...............JESUS CHRISTMAS!

If DCI was a well-run organization, it would anticipate that people would have some skepticism about buying tickets blindly. They seem to have gone to the total opposite extreme of when they allowed you to purchase exact seats (was that back in Orlando?) to where the section you select is so wide that you have better odds of winning the lottery than you have of guessing where your seat might be.

My biggest complaint is that DCI (the organization, not the individual corps) keeps increasing the price but has done nothing to improve the product. Each year they offer less for your money and give worse service. There was no excuse for the waiting lines to get into the Rose Bowl at finals this past year. This is just one of many problems DCI seems to have when running these major events. One would think the increased prices would offer a balance of more for your money, as well as more of your money going to support the corps.

And, in that regard, I’d be interested to know how much of the increased cost of finals tickets over the years has gone to the corps versus increased overhead, DCI salaries, etc.

Anyone else want to complain, because I am kind of worried about the financial stabilty of the activity, heck in five years we might be talking why they are cancelling an entire season!

There’s certainly a point at which less people attending a higher priced show is going to result in fewer dollars to support member corps than more people attending a cheaper show. So, rather than blind flag waving in favor of DCI, is it possible that the average fan (not the fanatics) have a point to consider here? If DCI really wanted Finals to be a product that exposes more people to the activity while increasing revenues for the member corps, wouldn’t it be better to find a way to bring down the costs? Would using lower cost stadiums (like Madison or University of Maryland) result in lower ticket costs, greater attendance, and more profit to share? Will attendance numbers drop over time because of the stupid idea of staying in the same place for ten years in a row? DCI seems to think the answer is to simply continue to increase the cost but hasn't figured (or even asked) what the fans want or are willing to accept.

Just throwing it out there, but does anyone think that once the stadium is built, DCI could maybe take a picture from one seat in each section and post it online, so you could get a feel for what you'll be able to see? Not each seat, just one seat from each section.