Experiment for DCA members

And, Who would this "Report" be for?

Oh and by the way. I kept very good records for 2004, 5, an 6. Without boring all with details. It cost me on average.

$4,000.00 each year.

(But then. I lived in Florida and marched with the New York Skyliners Alumni)

This report is for all of us. And, since I work at the Fox News Channel, perhaps I could generate enough interest with the facts that we come up with so that I could do a story on DCA...perhaps even a documentary. :tongue:

Conservatively slanted, of course. :thumbup:

Tom, lost wages do not count for this project. It's only money SPENT for drum corps purposes. And the gloves...if the money eventually comes back to you, then there's nothing lost or, spent, in effect.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I live in Hawthorne (I even walked to practice a few times) and I still probably spent over $1,500 for '07 Cabs. Granted, a big chunk of that was 2 nights of Wildwood hotel for my husband and I, but still!

$1,500.00 I spend that at the Post LOL

i think it's a great idea. i started in 1967 and retied in 1980. i have a good idea what we paid so i would like to see what it cost's today. as i don't march i can't participate but am interested in the results. let's see how conditions have changed the price. this will be cool!!!! :innocent:

I did this last year and it was over 10k. In fact, given the fact that there is a gas guzzling land yacht involved (still cheaper than hotels), and a beer guzzling participant, it averaged out to about 1K per month. As I am the one who meets with the financial advisor, I took a lot of heat for this and I don't even participate anymore. Factor in the hard feelings generated because there was no money left for me to pursue something equally fun to do on weekends, and it's not hard to imagine our negotiations this year. We're moving on to Part B of the experiment. On January 1, 2008, our marching member will have his ATM and credit cards taken away. I'll deposit $5,200 in a separate account - that is $100 per week for the year. This is fair considering there are a number of weeks throughout the year where there isn't any travel (or excess beer). And this year the marching member will have to figure it out. No arguing, no lecturing, no BS. It's a win-win arrangment if you put it into perspective. It goes without saying that he won't quit. A divorce would cost both of us a second income (our salaries are the same). A tempting compromise, but in reality, then neither of us could afford a pricey hobby (or retirement). Win-lose would be to keep going the way we have in the past. Any married person can tell you the joys of living that way. But get this...no matter how tough this first year of Plan B will be for Mr. Money Grows on Trees, with the help of our financial advisor, I can turn every 5K saved into 10K in about 5 years. As we are considerably closer to retirement age than most drum corps folks, this is huge. Win-win.

Now where are my travel brochures...

I did this last year and it was over 10k. In fact, given the fact that there is a gas guzzling land yacht involved (still cheaper than hotels), and a beer guzzling participant, it averaged out to about 1K per month. As I am the one who meets with the financial advisor, I took a lot of heat for this and I don't even participate anymore. Factor in the hard feelings generated because there was no money left for me to pursue something equally fun to do on weekends, and it's not hard to imagine our negotiations this year. We're moving on to Part B of the experiment. On January 1, 2008, our marching member will have his ATM and credit cards taken away. I'll deposit $5,200 in a separate account - that is $100 per week for the year. This is fair considering there are a number of weeks throughout the year where there isn't any travel (or excess beer). And this year the marching member will have to figure it out. No arguing, no lecturing, no BS. It's a win-win arrangment if you put it into perspective. It goes without saying that he won't quit. A divorce would cost both of us a second income (our salaries are the same). A tempting compromise, but in reality, then neither of us could afford a pricey hobby (or retirement). Win-lose would be to keep going the way we have in the past. Any married person can tell you the joys of living that way. But get this...no matter how tough this first year of Plan B will be for Mr. Money Grows on Trees, with the help of our financial advisor, I can turn every 5K saved into 10K in about 5 years. As we are considerably closer to retirement age than most drum corps folks, this is huge. Win-win.

Now where are my travel brochures...

Hey Linda too true... Don't talk to Terry OK LOL

Happy Holidays...

In 2006, I spent probably about $300 for everything.

2007, that number is probably around $800-$1,000

Considering the mileage I put on my 1988 bronco II killed it in 2005 that season cost me about 10 grand with having to buy my next vehicle.

This year I'm coming from even farther away, so it will be interesting, and of course the family is not supportive of my spending money on something like this so that's always tough. (The whole, if you run out of money don't come to us for help because you're choosing to do this even though I have my own job and live on my own now! but that's another story).

We shall see how this all goes! :)