So why didn't Crown win?

they didn't have the best show. they had the 6th best show. and...wait for it...they finished 6th! Funny how that works.

Thanks for the flame bait. I needed some today.

Im with you, the got 6th because they were the 6th best Drum Corps in 2007!

you don't spend much time on DCP do you? =P

this was answered in another thread...it's because crown hasn't been in top 3 yet....haha

i forgot who it was but someone here made the rational that you have to get top 3 before you can win, lol.

'lol' all you want, but at least give the courtesy of pointing the OPer to the source of your sarcasm: Competitive Inertia

Im with you, the got 6th because they were the 6th best Drum Corps in 2007!

Clearly, the OP is of a different opinion and is asking why other people think they should have been 6th, if it's even possible to be objective about it with the top 7 all at such a high level.

I can't really say, I'm no judge either, plus I'm a homer :laughing:

Depsite their placement, Crown's show was amazing and a definite crowd pleaser. Personally, I was hoping that their guard would take top guard award and I was kinda mad when they didn't. Their guard was awesome. :laughing:

I thought Crown was absolutely awesome this year as well. I didn't think their show was quite to the demand of the top 3, and thye did have a few technical issues.

If you look at the 4-7 spots though, you will notice less than a point separating them. So obviously, Crown could easily be considered a top 4 level corps. A few improvements next year, and who knows.

The last 2 years have shown me a new side of Crown that I absolutely love. If you look at another thing about this year, they beat Bluecoats in finals. Earlier in the season, Bluecoats had knocked off Blue Devils, Cadets, and Cavies, the top 3 corps at finals. Then Crown knocked off Bluecoats during finals week. Who knows, during the right week, the right show, and the right performance level, who knows if Crown could possibly defeat some of the top 3 next year themselves.

What a great performance from Crown, and regardless of placement or score, the corps members, staff and volunteers should be very proud of themselves.

b/c they weren`t clean enough......... good show but individual performance issues visually especially... and there`s no telling what they heard on the field... anyone can look at their favorite corps and be like.. why didn`t THEY win.. I can only wonder how so many people fail to see the lack of logic in that... I`m guessing the op marched crown honestly.

Edited by baristeve

As far as I am concerned the placements are arbitrary!

I recently received my dvd's in the mail and have one lingering question. Why didn't Crown win. I know most will say because BD, Cavies, Cadets, etc etc were all better but what was wrong with Crown's show? Did they not perform as well as all the others? To my untrained eye it all seemed pretty clean. I saw alot of moving and playing which some are accused of not doing. Was the show too accessible? Was the brass, percussion parts too easy? Was it dirty? Maybe some of you folks in the know could help me out. I saw something that was extremely entertaining and performed at an extremely high level. What gives?

Because the scoring system is biased towards the magnification of very minor differences becoming major factors. This is ok, really. The system is also based around a major category of "General Effect", but it's not what most people would assume is GE. There is very little importance put on the audience connectivity or overall creative connection that kids make with the audience. This is by design.

I think it's time that a system better rewards shows that are audience-centric, and reformulate GE to the intangibles it should be, and then lower those scores to only be 1/4 of the score.

People assume GE is subjective, but it leans much closer to objective, and is more related to staff and expectation than what many people believe is healthy.

Crown, to me, was "excellent enough" to be the 2007 champion in my view. And until we revamp our system to be more reactive to the emotion and passion of our performances, that passion will erode, and we will lose customers in the process.

• Like 1

Carolina Crown did win in my opinion, and I'm sure in the opinions of many others. They won fan's hearts all over the nation. They drastically improved in areas where they needed to. So, no they didn't win the World Championships but they won the "World".

'lol' all you want, but at least give the courtesy of pointing the OPer to the source of your sarcasm: Competitive Inertia

it wasn't exactly sarcasm...i'm very partial to think that the top 3 theory has an enormous amount of truth...i didn't mean to come off sarcastic...but more of joking...

and yes i couldn't think of the thread that was in, and didn't want to search at the time, thanks though.

Edited by ToferVis