So why didn't Crown win?

I guess for me SCV's show was more enjoyable than Crown's. It was more sophisticated in design and relied on fewer "gimmicks." Just my call on it.

I'd agree with this. SCV did have better drill design and a far better drumline. I'm not in favor of props on the field, and I thought Crown WAY over did the horsey thing - I think everyone in the corps did the padding the dirt thing too many times. I do think Crown's hornline sounded fantastic though.

I guess for me SCV's show was more enjoyable than Crown's. It was more sophisticated in design and relied on fewer "gimmicks." Just my call on it.

Visually you have a point, but from a total fan accessibility standpoint Crown kicks SCV's arse, especially from a music standpoint.

Also, I always laugh a little when I see someone from the SCV camp trash gimmicks in a show when SCV programs in a crowd yell into their show almost every summer.

In short, I still can't get over the people who hate on Crown here on DCP. It is though yet another example of how DCP does not represent the general show-attending public. Crown was clearly a crowd favorite this summer. . .but on DCP they get hated on left and right.

Agreed.

Not to sound rude or anything, but it seems to me that Crown members always think that DCI is out to screw them over. And year after year they think they should have won or placed 3-4 spots higher. The few Crown members I know never have anything pleasant to say about another corps. Maybe it's just the few members I do know that give me the wrong impression.

I'm going to say that's the few members from the corps...yes i love crown....but yes i've met a few members who think as you stated above, but i believe it in no way reflects the 'corps' ideas or beliefs...

Here's an interesting question... what does everyone think of Crown's "music ensemble" compared to the other "top 7" corps. When I listen to the recording, I can't find even one ensemble problem, balance, timing, or otherwise. With others, I can find plenty. Yet, Crown finished 7th in music ensemble. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

I'm not saying Crown should have been higher... they were .025 out of 5th and .7 or .8 out of 4th. I really thought they could have ended up in 7th or 4th and it wouldn't have been a travesty because those corps were all just about even. Do I think they should have won this year? No. I think Michael Boo had a great point a couple of months ago about the Top 7 being as competive as the old Top 3 and that's great. I am even more blown away by Bluecoats in 7th and not winning either drums or brass than I am Crown in 6th or Cavaliers in 3rd.

There is a ton of Crown love/hate on DCP, but it has been the same way with Phantom on here. People always think they get screwed when they don't win. These corps just have shows that are very accessible to certain crowds and people have strong feelings about them. There's no corps in the top 7 that I don't love and I probably wouldn't think a whole lot more of Crown or SCV if they were 4th/5th rather than 6th/7th because the judge score doesn't justify my rankings.

I recently received my dvd's in the mail and have one lingering question. Why didn't Crown win. I know most will say because BD, Cavies, Cadets, etc etc were all better but what was wrong with Crown's show? Did they not perform as well as all the others? To my untrained eye it all seemed pretty clean. I saw alot of moving and playing which some are accused of not doing. Was the show too accessible? Was the brass, percussion parts too easy? Was it dirty? Maybe some of you folks in the know could help me out. I saw something that was extremely entertaining and performed at an extremely high level. What gives?

Their check to the DCI Judges Retirement Fund didn't clear in time. :laughing:

Visually you have a point, but from a total fan accessibility standpoint Crown kicks SCV's arse, especially from a music standpoint.

Also, I always laugh a little when I see someone from the SCV camp trash gimmicks in a show when SCV programs in a crowd yell into their show almost every summer.

In short, I still can't get over the people who hate on Crown here on DCP. It is though yet another example of how DCP does not represent the general show-attending public. Crown was clearly a crowd favorite this summer. . .but on DCP they get hated on left and right.

I hate when we agree on ####. :P

I don't know what part of DCP you're referring to but to say that DCP hates Crown this season is definately false. If there was any hate for Crown, it was not even close to the same level as Cadets'. From the bit I've seen on ESPN2 and listening to the shows on the cd I happened to have liked their show, unlike the previous couple years...and many here know how I feel about today's show.

Edited by sburstall

I don't know what part of DCP you're referring to but to say that DCP hates Crown this season is definately false. If these is any hate for Crown, it's definately not on the same level as Cadets'. From the bit I've seen on ESPN2 and listening to the shows on the cd I happened to have liked this show, unlike the previous couple years...and many here know how I feel about today's show.

Who said anything about The Cadets? I've been on the same parts of DCP you have I assume. There are plenty of Crown haters on DCP, and IMO a disproportionate amount compared to the love they received at shows.

Who said anything about The Cadets? I've been on the same parts of DCP you have I assume. There are plenty of Crown haters on DCP, and IMO a disproportionate amount compared to the love they received at shows.

I always use Cadets as the bottom line standard for corps hatred. :laughing:

I don't read all the posts but of the ones I have read don't have Crown in the negativity. But then I don't read a lot of off-season corps stuff since it's mostly fluff.