Crossmen 1990 soprano soloist

From what my old mind remembers, Laura Cunnningham was/is from Louisiana.

I remember being in horn arc during everydays at Smoothieville (Embrieville Mental Facility?) and hearing this AWESOME tone playing in the distance. It was Laura "auditioning" for Jack Meehan.

We all looked at each other - "WHO IS THAT????"

Needless to say, she had the solo about a third of the way through tour - rightfully so. I'm pretty sure Rick Wygant wrote the solo as you hear it on the recording but I could be wrong.

Her Name was Laura....(I do not remember her last name.....must be getting old.)

She was from Alabama if I remember correctly.

Gary Cuzzocrea might know more information.

The 1990 show was not really a comeback show. It was more of a momentum builder that started in 1986 as the corps kept placing higher and getting better each year from that point forward.

That summer the corps broke a 90 for the first time in their history, and they ended up tied for their highest finals placement ever up until that point in their history. It was a great year to Ageout...(hence my dcp screen name.)

Slightly off topic, we had a couple guys from early/mid 90's Bones instruct...Greg Komarow (sop 91) in the horn line in 93/94 and Mark Smith (2nd shortest snare 90(?)-93) in 94. I am great friends with Greg to this day. Mark brought this intensity that was surreal.

I love the early/mid 90's Bones shows!

Back to topic...

By the way, 1991 Drumline was amazing, and should have been higher in IMO.

By the way, 1991 Drumline was amazing, and should have been higher in IMO.

'91 was a very highly contested year for drums if I remember correctly.

• 13 years later...
On 12/9/2007 at 8:28 PM, Hrothgar15 said:

I recently discovered a recording of the 1990 Crossmen show. I can't stop listening to it...wonder why it doesn't get a lot of buzz around here. Great comeback show for the corps. Does anyone know who the soprano soloist in Baroque Samba is? The solos are wonderful and I just love the way he/she projects. Thanks in advance.

I'll give it some buzz!  I freaking LOVE that show!  Being from Pennsylvania, that was a great time to be following the Crossmen.  And a great time for drum corps in general.  90, 91, and 92 are my favorite years for the Crossmen.

4 hours ago, Tommeee said:

I'll give it some buzz!  I freaking LOVE that show!  Being from Pennsylvania, that was a great time to be following the Crossmen.  And a great time for drum corps in general.  90, 91, and 92 are my favorite years for the Crossmen.

it is easily their best era

• Like 1

On 12/10/2007 at 5:47 PM, dukasstite said:

From what my old mind remembers, Laura Cunnningham was/is from Louisiana.

I remember being in horn arc during everydays at Smoothieville (Embrieville Mental Facility?) and hearing this AWESOME tone playing in the distance. It was Laura "auditioning" for Jack Meehan.

We all looked at each other - "WHO IS THAT????"

Needless to say, she had the solo about a third of the way through tour - rightfully so. I'm pretty sure Rick Wygant wrote the solo as you hear it on the recording but I could be wrong.

Yall were cooking that year. Well done