Rule Proposals

On a more serious note, I'm a little confused on the age out proposal. So say a person's birthday is say...... May 24, 1987, making him currently 20. Under the current rules, he turns 21 before June 1, so he's aging out in 2008.

Here's the new rule:

In order to be eligible to perform as a member of a corps participating in Drum Corps International, a

participant must be 22 years of age or younger, during the calendar year of the competitions. As an

example, in 2008, as long as a participant does not turn 23 until January 1, 2009 or later, the individual

would be allowed participation rights in the drum corps of their choice

So would this mean that, if this were to pass, this person would not actually be a 2008 ageout, since he'd be eligible in 2009 when he's 22? (would this, in effect, mean there are actually ZERO ageouts this year since they could all come back?) This would actually upset people (coughme) who expected to ageout this year and have planned a year in advance under the presumption that they cannot march junior corps again, but now with this rule they would no longer be regarded as an ageout and not be honored as such.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On a more serious note, I'm a little confused on the age out proposal. So say a person's birthday is say...... May 24, 1987, making him currently 20. Under the current rules, he turns 21 before June 1, so he's aging out in 2008.

Here's the new rule:

In order to be eligible to perform as a member of a corps participating in Drum Corps International, a

participant must be 22 years of age or younger, during the calendar year of the competitions. As an

example, in 2008, as long as a participant does not turn 23 until January 1, 2009 or later, the individual

would be allowed participation rights in the drum corps of their choice

So would this mean that, if this were to pass, this person would not actually be a 2008 ageout, since he'd be eligible in 2009 when he's 22? (would this, in effect, mean there are actually ZERO ageouts this year since they could all come back?) This would actually upset people (coughme) who expected to ageout this year and have planned a year in advance under the presumption that they cannot march junior corps again, but now with this rule they would no longer be regarded as an ageout and not be honored as such.

If you turn 22 after January 1st of the marching year then you can march.

Fancy time machine you've got there. Can I borrow it? I've got some lotteries to win.

Amps passed the instructor's vote for many many years before it was passed by the directors.

If you would like to bet some money on this one I will gladly be game.

just a few clarifications..

4. The time requirement has been there for a long time. Learn to program your show instead of having the same problem every year.

two problems with your thought here:

first, just because it has been around for a long time does not mean it is the best way to do things.

second, his justification is not just that it is easier to program shows, when you read the entire document you see that he is making the argument that 11 minutes is simply not enough time to develop any sort of significant musical idea...imagine if Beethoven or Mozart were limited to 11 minutes for their symphonies. Now it cant be an hour long show, but giving a more reasonable time constraint (I would even like to see it go up to 15 minutes) would allow more depth an complexity to the show. You also have to realize that that would just be the maximum...corps can still go on fielding 1130 minute shows if they want.

It would be a trade off thing potentially, would the benefits of adding an extra minute outweigh the loss of rehearsal time on some parts of the show? My friend from Cadets '03 said how the 17 sets of the moving warm up they did held them back for a while simply because it was more to clean..

5. Would a wireless mic even work well from the back corner of a field. No need to amplify the loudest thing on the field.

The answer is yes...again you miss the point of the proposal, I suggest you go and actually read through some of the justifications..

6. While I like the idea of more creative freedom I don't like the idea of hearing techno and then a babbling brook on the field.

I do, does that make me wrong?.......

.....dont answer that :devil:

8. Would you want to pay thousands of dollars and spend your entire summer standing in front of a sound board?

Nor would I want to spend a summer listening to a corps sound board mixed by some high schooler...Should we also have the kids drive the busses, or how about write the music? I agree with you, quite a ridiculous proposal if you ask me

Timothy Kviz is my new hero! :devil:

There were thousands of fans that signed the petition to repeal amps. Someone has listened. Now we need to speak louder so that all can hear us. Each and everyone who wants accoustic drum corps should contact every World Class drum corps and tell them how you want them to vote. Let them know that we are more than a vocal minority, but a significant factor of the fan base. Contact information is on DCI.org. I would especially urge the recent age-outs and current/future members that want accoustic drum corps to speak up loudly and now. If there are few to none of you in existence, then nothing will change and it shouldn't as it is your activity. If you are out there, and I think you are, you need to let them know. Why? Because this is your activity, more than anyone else's.

Water??? How in the heck could water be effectively used in a show?

Go to IKEA or those science stores, They've got some pretty cool stuff there. I think it'd be awesome, but it might get nasty if there's a windy day!

Hate to rain on your parade but none of Tim Kviz's proposals will ever make it past the instructor's vote.

I agree. There's no requirement for amps or narration. It's an option. If anything, DCI and art has shown that it does not take options away.

Nor would I want to spend a summer listening to a corps sound board mixed by some high schooler...Should we also have the kids drive the busses, or how about write the music? I agree with you, quite a ridiculous proposal if you ask me

It's pretty sad when the ridiculous idea is to require a member of legal marching age to DIRECTLY AFFECT THE PERFORMANCE QUALITY, not the presence of the soundboard itself....no, that's not ridiculous.

just a few clarifications..

two problems with your thought here:

first, just because it has been around for a long time does not mean it is the best way to do things.

second, his justification is not just that it is easier to program shows, when you read the entire document you see that he is making the argument that 11 minutes is simply not enough time to develop any sort of significant musical idea...imagine if Beethoven or Mozart were limited to 11 minutes for their symphonies. Now it cant be an hour long show, but giving a more reasonable time constraint (I would even like to see it go up to 15 minutes) would allow more depth an complexity to the show. You also have to realize that that would just be the maximum...corps can still go on fielding 1130 minute shows if they want.

It would be a trade off thing potentially, would the benefits of adding an extra minute outweigh the loss of rehearsal time on some parts of the show? My friend from Cadets '03 said how the 17 sets of the moving warm up they did held them back for a while simply because it was more to clean..

The answer is yes...again you miss the point of the proposal, I suggest you go and actually read through some of the justifications..

11 minutes is plenty of time to develop a musical idea. Maybe not for an entire symphony, but most wind ensemble pieces fall far below the 11 minute mark. An example of a well thought out musical idea under the 11 minute mark would be Blue Devils 1997 (personally). If it went on for another minute it would drag on. It was perfect. It can be done and isn't overly difficult. And yes, it might not be the best way to do thing, but this seems like an excuse for Hopkins to be able to do something with the extra minute or two of music he has EVERY year. And as someone stated earlier. Longer performances mean longer shows. Having to pay to hold the venue longer and to pay the event staff

I fully understand the point of the proposal and I actually read through it the first time. A lot of things he stated as being possible with this new rule are already possible without it. Screaming soloists? Listen to the end of Madison 95 with the trumpet quartet(I think it was a quartet) being perfectly heard over the entire corps. Soloists in the corner of the field? Cavaliers 01 Four Corners. They had a soloist on each corner of the field some not even facing the audience and you could hear them fine. It's an unnecessary addition that "adds" something that is already possible.