Rule Proposal 2008-05

Rules 2008  

386 members have voted

1. 1. Amplification of Brass

• No; maintain that amplification of brass is not allowed
    • Yes; allow brass instruments to be amplified

Therefore, what you're effectively saying is, "if you don't agree with what they do, then you're not a fan of junior drum corps." Can you even see the canvas past the wide tip of that brush?

The problem with your mindset is that, to you, drum corps = DCI. In fact, to you drum corps = DCI BoD.

It may surprise you to find that one can be sick of what the DCI BoD does, and still like jr. corps. One can complain about the decisions the BoD makes and still like, or even -ahem- respect what the corps themselves do on the field. (Or dislike it, yet still respect them, even.)

You know, for someone whose mind is wide open to all ideas about what drum corps is and can be, you have an awfully closed mind WRT what others are allowed to think and feel and believe about the same: "If you don't like it, don't complain. Just don't let the door hit you on your way out!"

Your level of sensitivity to other opinions is measured by the degree to which your ox is being gored. The vast majority of DCP believes opposite of you - so DCP opinion polls (and the individual opinions that go into them) don't count. OTOH, everything the DCI BoD approves you also approve, so they're "smart".

Here's a hypothetical: If, for some reason, a Tim Kviz proposal gets approved this weekend, will you "diss" the DCI BoD by complaining about it? Will you claim that that opinion doesn't count? Well, of course you won't, the DCI BoD is "smart", right?

As for anyone who "leaves", I am reminded of what Ronald Reagan said when he was asked why he changed his political party registration in the past: "I didn’t leave the Democratic Party, the Democratic Party left me.”

Awesome, AWESOME post. Thank you for saying this. :lol:

Edited by Lancerlady

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You didnt get my point though. What is the method of expressing disapproval (obviously not disapproval of the members, but of DCI)?

Good luck on getting him to get the point. I have had respect for Mike's opinions but these latest posts show that obviously he doesn't feel the same way about those who disagree with his point of view.

Edited by Lancerlady

Good luck on getting him to get the point. I have had respect for Mike's opinions but these latest posts show that obviously he doesn't feel the same way about those who disagree with his point of view.

Many have come to the same conclusion, yours truly as well. It took a long time, but I'm not willing to debate rules with Mike anymore. My advice to you all is to follow that approach. You might think he's willing to debate you, since his responses are generally eloquent and well spoken. After a while, it's like trying to train your pet plant. He sucks in your hot air about how drum corps is best served, absorbing its value, and returning air back, growing all the while. That doesn't mean your ficus will ever roll over. Prop up your debate opponent at your own risk.

Many have come to the same conclusion, yours truly as well. It took a long time, but I'm not willing to debate rules with Mike anymore. My advice to you all is to follow that approach. You might think he's willing to debate you, since his responses are generally eloquent and well spoken. After a while, it's like trying to train your pet plant. He sucks in your hot air about how drum corps is best served, absorbing its value, and returning air back, growing all the while. That doesn't mean your ficus will ever roll over. Prop up your debate opponent at your own risk.

:lol::w00t: I believe it. I guess it took me long enough uh?

Yeah - I think I'm onboard. I was having a little discussion with him elswhere that was straying into the surreal. Time wasted......

Would it not be helpful to DCI to understand why a significant portion of their fan base leaves? Wouldn't a better plan be to develop strategies that retain more old fans while enticing new ones instead of just enticing new ones?

That's what they do to an extent, but attracting new fans is far more important IMO. They do try and satisfy the legacy fans already in many ways, already posted. But that should just NOT be what drives DCI as an organization, IMO.

Mike - I need you to remember what I said in previous posts or this dicussion will get bogged down in repetition. No - DCP is not average fans - it is a much better educated group, and represents all levels of activity (see my marched, volunteered, BOD post above.)

Wow - I'm never hiring you as a marketing manager.... "Hey - those guys aren't buying our product anymore, so they don't count, we don't care what drove them away, and we won't do anything to win them back". Do you really think that's a sustainable attitude for any business or organization?

For the record, I'm a fan despite your eletist and dismissive tirade.

I don't attend or watch NASCAR...so I'm not a NASCAR fan. You do not attend DCI shows...so you are not a DCI drum corps fan.

I'm certainly not going to try and 'win' back people at the expense of the current members and newer audience.

Do you really mean that?

So, why did you advise the DCI BoD via email not to pay any attention to the petition that some folks on DCP sent to them last year?

Tsk, tsk. Janus would be proud.

I did what I suggested... I sent them a Email.