Rule Proposal 2008-05

Rules 2008  

386 members have voted

1. 1. Amplification of Brass

• No; maintain that amplification of brass is not allowed
    • Yes; allow brass instruments to be amplified

There is no way to determine what the majority wants.

Of course there are. Random sampling of audiences is one way. But DCI isn't interested in their opinion, or they would do it.

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course there are. Random sampling of audiences is one way. But DCI isn't interested in their opinion, or they would do it.

I meant to add more to that statement, but work got in the way. Yes, they could do some sort of random sample. Why should they take the time and $$ to create such a thing, and why bother audience members with filling out a survey like that at a show? Attendance numbers give them all they need about how successful the general direction is.

In general the DCP crowd has marched, volunteered, instructed or served on a corps BOD. I've done all 4. There is a lot more knowledge per user in DCP than there is in the stands. You dismiss every petition, and every poll in DCP as insignificant. Significantly they all go against your POV, most by landslide margins. Like it or not Mike, that is a strong statement.

Insignificant because they are but a drop in the bucket against the total audience for DCI shows.

I meant to add more to that statement, but work got in the way. Yes, they could do some sort of random sample. Why should they take the time and $$ to create such a thing, and why bother audience members with filling out a survey like that at a show? Attendance numbers give them all they need about how successful the general direction is.

No it does not. It does not tell them how much of the audience it has lost. That would be the flaw in polling at a show, only the attendees would be sampled. It is also what makes the opinions on DCP more significant than you wish to acknowledge.

Insignificant because they are but a drop in the bucket against the total audience for DCI shows.

So are the total number of Neilson families when compared with the TV viewing public, but their input seems to be significant. See also my post above. The only problem here is that you don't agree with what every poll and pettition shows.

No it does not. It does not tell them how much of the audience it has lost. That would be the flaw in polling at a show, only the attendees would be sampled. It is also what makes the opinions on DCP more significant than you wish to acknowledge.

Because it doesn't matter if some leave if the total audience is strong. And...if they took polls at shows how would they know who is not there?

Because it doesn't matter if some leave if the total audience is strong. And...if they took polls at shows how would they know who is not there?

This is a sad statement Mike, because It SHOULD matter to DCI if they lose even ONE Fan.

The customers take care of the activity to a point and I think the "non profit elitist" forget that at times cause they're so wrapped up in companies that sponsor them.

Customers are former marchers, sponsors, volunteers, BOD members etc...anybody who put any amount of time supporting the activity should matter.

This upsets me to read that they YOU think they are too big for even one fan.

They can take polls at shows and on line and mailing lists. If they REALLY wanted too.

Edited by Lancerlady

Because it doesn't matter if some leave if the total audience is strong.

But Mike - the total audience could be stronger!

And...if they took polls at shows how would they know who is not there?

Which is why DCP opinion polls ARE significant. You are repeating my point.

But Mike - the total audience could be stronger!

No, not really, IMO. There are plenty of legacy fans at shows I attend. And, also IMO of course, the marketing efforts aimed at the scholastic band arena is the best way to go for the long term. DCI certainly should not listen to a few legacy fans in making the competitive rules. Heck, some of them want to eliminate the pit completely and have DCI all-of-a-sudden make multi-key illegal.

Which is why DCP opinion polls ARE significant. You are repeating my point.

No, it doesn't show that at all. It just shows the DCP viewpoint.

This is a sad statement Mike, because It SHOULD matter to DCI if they lose even ONE Fan.

The customers take care of the activity to a point and I think the "non profit elitist" forget that at times cause they're so wrapped up in companies that sponsor them.

Customers are former marchers, sponsors, volunteers, BOD members etc...anybody who put any amount of time supporting the activity should matter.

This upsets me to read that they YOU think they are too big for even one fan.

They can take polls at shows and on line and mailing lists. If they REALLY wanted too.

DCI, in looking at audience and competitive rules can not, IMO, take into account this or that small faction. Their main focus has to be on doing what they think best to ensure the survival of DCI as an entity. There are fans with all sorts of opinions; who should be ignored? Some want to eliminate the pit. Some want guards to wear uniforms. Others want to bring back the color rpe for all corps...some want to force DCI corps to return to G horns, never mind that it would cost 100K per corps to do so. Others, like me, want to see even more instruments legalized...actually ALL instruments. I don't expect them to listen to me on that.