Rule Proposal 2008-09

Rules 2008  

304 members have voted

1. 1. Amplification limited to Front Ensemble percussion instruments

• No; amplification remains as is, not necessarily limited to percussion
    • Yes; sounds created by members themselves (i.e., voice, narration, whistling, breathing, sound effects, etc.) are made illegal

http://www.dci.org/rules/pdf/2008/09_narration.pdf

If a corps uses amplification equipment, this equipment may only be used to amplify percussion instruments used in the front ensemble. Sounds created by members themselves (i.e., voice, narration, whistling, breathing, sound effects, etc.) are expressly prohibited. Intentional amplification of the human voice will result in a 15 point penalty at the discretion of the contest coordinator. If none is available, the chief judge may grant the penalty.
Edited by drumcat

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting. So the Blue Star's staff put in TWO proposals regarding amplification. One with the complete complete elimination http://www.dci.org/rules/pdf/2008/010_ampl...lementation.pdf and then this one with limited usage. My guess is that if either were to pass, it would be this one since it's more of a compromise than a complete turning of a corner. It will be interesting to see how both proposals pan out. My heart wants the other one (the elimiation) to pass - simply because I think Drum Corps carries more uniqueness to it without it all. My hope is that if the complete alimination option doesn't pass, this one will. My gut tells me neither will pass.

Edited by cd89

I guess Mr. Furlano had a change of heart? If I recall correctly their 2006 show was laden with cheesy, emetic narration.

Edited by Hrothgar15

I guess Mr. Furlano had a change of heart? If I recall correctly their 2006 show was laden with cheesy, emetic narration.

You are reading too much into this. This was my proposal, pure and simple. The proposals require approval of a corps director or a judge. Brad agreed to submit them for me. He was not afraid to have an open debate on the issue.

I can live with this. But I hope, can only hope it's eliminated!

Yeah Blue Stars for stepping up! :devil: Thank you! A very well educated written proposal!

Edited by Lancerlady

You are reading too much into this. This was my proposal, pure and simple. The proposals require approval of a corps director or a judge. Brad agreed to submit them for me. He was not afraid to have an open debate on the issue.

Thank You for clarifying.

:devil:

Although, Blue Stars did not any in last year's show. We'll see how it goes. I'm actually not an avid hater of amplification. In fact I could even tolerate a LIMITED use of electronics if it would pass. However, I only said "tolerate" - as if I had my choice I would rather see drum corps remain accoustic because it adds to the uniqueness of drum corps. Let BOA use amplification, electronics and woodwinds (I DO enjoy it in that arena) but let DCI remain accoustic with only brass and percussion so that it remains a "unique art form".

And regardless of the "who" of where this proposal came from, it still takes BIG HAIRY BALLS for a corps director to be willing to sign off on it. I'm proud of the Blue Stars staff for showing what a REAL "open mind" is by at LEAST allowing the flip side of the argument to be a voice.

Edited by cd89

I don't believe Furlano was the director of the Blue Stars in 2006.

Just think of Bluecoats, Carolina Crown, or any other really good affects from this year or others on narration. It can be really cool.