Movement

Musical_Spinner

the immensely gifted micheal james is from st. petersburg fl. and has a B.A. in modern dance,early on he was a scholarship student performing at the jacob's pillow dance festivals,toured with the american stage company as well as with the suncoast sound drum corps and he has choreographed for children's theater.his longtime collaborator adam sage and he have worked in tandem with such fabulous drum corps programs as the santa clara vanguard,the cavaliers and most recently the phantom regiment.his style and excellence are evident in every program he touches.

someone to watch:jenifer house.she helped avon h.s.win the movement caption last year at wgi.

Edited by dugg

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jacob's Pillow eh? Impressive, most impressive.

($1 to Darth Vader)

Jacob's Pillow eh? Impressive, most impressive.

fyi,myself and the "no hope modern dancers" performed ["rather poorly,dispossessd and without enthusiasm" wrote the star centinnial times dance critic leonard pynth-garnell]at the *"jacob's mattress and box springs" festival held in a dimly lit parking lot 2 blocks behind the theater,a somewhat lesser known and sparsely attended dance event.

*in agreement with the cease and desist order their lawyers wish for me to make it clear that it is not in any way shape or form associated with the "jacob's pillow" festival[all rights reserved]. :withstupid:

Edited by dugg

Which guards movement do you like? NEI -- this year they stepped outside any traditional movement base and it was extremely effective. And from what I hear no one got hurt because of it. :withstupid:

Do you like to dance? Yes

Have you taught movement and would like to share your thoughts on teaching methods? I enjoy teaching using visualization. I was originally just shown how to do something and never explained the "how." I find this method is much more time consuming. I also love mirrors when available.

How much movement is needed in a show? What is too much? Even in a show with no "off-equipment" time there will still be movement, how the body works underneath the equipment. So you never really don't have enough movement, it's just a matter of how hard it is.

What do you think are must have skills to develop a good group of movers? Posture posture posture! I think this is the biggest thing to teach beginner guards. After that, extending their limbs long. Once you have those, it's all a matter of stylistic choice.

What is your favorite dance skill? ....triple salchow double toe loop?

What about the evolution of dance since the first years of WGI? I like it...

Edited by zackiedude

• 2 weeks later...
fyi,myself and the "no hope modern dancers" performed ["rather poorly,dispossessd and without enthusiasm" wrote the star centinnial times dance critic leonard pynth-garnell]at the *"jacob's mattress and box springs" festival held in a dimly lit parking lot 2 blocks behind the theater,a somewhat lesser known and sparsely attended dance event.

*in agreement with the cease and desist order their lawyers wish for me to make it clear that it is not in any way shape or form associated with the "jacob's pillow" festival[all rights reserved]. :shutup:

That's funny.

• 1 month later...

will we ever begin to see other styles of dance incorporated into the activity?

why don't we see greater variety of choreography?

does the judging community understand how to evaluate and credit different types of movement?

are todays leaders in the art of choreography experimenting with untried methods?

what styles of dance would be interesting and unique in todays programming?

Edited by dugg

I tend to find that within the activity the only form of dance that gets full recognition and credit is lyrical / pseudo ballet.

Case in point would be The Victoriaville Pheonix (92-93-94). They had some of the most cutting edge contemporary dance skills and movement program ever and never fully got the movement scores they deserved. Progressive stuff doesn't seem to get the respect it should.

They were definately one of my favorite (they even did a whole show in dresses and army boots!)

Later,

Mike

does the judging community understand how to evaluate and credit different types of movement?

are todays leaders in the art of choreography experimenting with untried methods?

I think designers (at least the non-world-famous ones!) are wary of branching out with movement, as it is usually just considered "wrong" when being evaluated. I think some of the movement judges, particularly those with more experience, are open to more variety and innovation, but they are outnumbered by those who not as willing to accept different as valid. As an instructor, do you really put your kids in the position of being evaluated poorly by most judges they'll see all season in the hopes that someone who can see the value of your innovation will be judging you at regionals and/or WGI finals? I just think it's not an area most of us are willing to jump into yet until there is more widespread acceptance of newer thoughts and techniques.

That said, how will newer thoughts and techniques become more accepted without being put on the floor? Gotta love the chicken and the egg....

Just my $.02.... :thumbup:

~ginger

Edited by justgin

With my varsity group, we've had great success so far with the quirky movements that has been written. I think branching out and exploring the diffrent lines that can be created can really help set your show apart. It totally gives you your own identity.

I tried an experiment with the overall writing of the equipment and movement this year. I started with character and wrote around what the characters were doing....it's really given us a nice and unusual product.

Will we? probably not. . . I think on the whole WGI needs to address this, but chances are we are a long way off from any type of branching out in the movement caption.

I think this is really where seasoned World Class guards need to step up. At World Class level, they have proven that they have the skill and talent to be successful, so those groups need to keep evolving and re-defining for the betterment of the activity. That's why I am so critical of the world class guards, and in doing so I get a lot of hateful responses, but it truly is something I won't back down from because I see the better good that can come out of it.

What truly floors me is that I see A guards being more innovative than world guards. . .one would think it should be the other way around