Show your support/disdain for the 2008 Proposals

Hahaha...argonaut...eh? Is this an attempt at satire? One can only hope...

I'd like to see the DCI directors and staff spend time doing something besides quibbling on the phone over the same complaints that have being made for the last three years. That might just be me, but it really does seem like they have plenty better to do.

They quibbled year after year, for 10 years, about passing amps. They should have spent their time on something else then. If they had, there would be no need to quibble about it now.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shouldn't it be the instructors in the Instructors' Caucus we should be lobbying? If it doesn't get past them, it won't get to the directors... right?

It would be silly to assume that the instructors are working in a vacuum. I would venture to guess that the instructors and director of a particular corps talks over these proposals beforehand to decide what proposals can best benefit their corps. Further, I would guess that they would continue talking with each other during the caucus... I doubt that they lock the instructors in a room and tell them not to emerge until they have the final proposals to be voted on. They're not choosing a pope, after all.

I think that lobbying the directors will be sufficient because the directors will rally their staff around the vision they feel is best for drum corps.

It would be silly to assume that the instructors are working in a vacuum. I would venture to guess that the instructors and director of a particular corps talks over these proposals beforehand to decide what proposals can best benefit their corps. Further, I would guess that they would continue talking with each other during the caucus... I doubt that they lock the instructors in a room and tell them not to emerge until they have the final proposals to be voted on. They're not choosing a pope, after all.

I think that lobbying the directors will be sufficient because the directors will rally their staff around the vision they feel is best for drum corps.

Not necessarily. As I understand it, the instructors had been lobbying for amps and electronics long before the directors thought they were a good idea. One of the reasons why it failed so many years in a row.

Not necessarily. As I understand it, the instructors had been lobbying for amps and electronics long before the directors thought they were a good idea. One of the reasons why it failed so many years in a row.

...which is why the current setup is a good one. You get the check and balance of what the creative side wants versus what the financial side says can be afforded.

...which is why the current setup is a good one. You get the check and balance of what the creative side wants versus what the financial side says can be afforded.

It's not a "balance" if it only works in one direction. If instructors squelch any attempt by the BOD to review a recent rule change, then rule changes become irreversible. There is no mechanism for the BOD to correct a rule change that turns out to be a bad idea.

It's not a "balance" if it only works in one direction. If instructors squelch any attempt by the BOD to review a recent rule change, then rule changes become irreversible. There is no mechanism for the BOD to correct a rule change that turns out to be a bad idea.

Yes, there is, as I have said and you continue to ignore. You still seem to think that the two groups operate in a vacuum. I don't think so. That makes absolutely no sense to me.

Yes, there is, as I have said and you continue to ignore. You still seem to think that the two groups operate in a vacuum. I don't think so. That makes absolutely no sense to me.

Well, they certainly don't operate in concert. They proved that 14 consecutive times. Leaves no doubt.

I have never said that they operate in concert 100% of the time. Quite the opposite.

Mike, you've "never said" anything that would explain how instructors, who have voted per their own conscience for the past 18 years, can be expected to do the opposite in your hypothetical scenario.

Broken Record time...

If we as fans and former marchers and even current and future members should lobby for is fairness in judging. I have shout from a soapbox many time to enlist a 3rd party to judge the judges. How unfair to some coprps chances, especially during championships, when the deck is stack in one corps favor overanother just because a certain judge or 2 or 3 traditionally len to one corps over any others. You all know it happens because we talk about it at shows and in chats. If it menas 2 of each judge than so beit...if it menas releasing the judge sheet after each major show as well as giving the people a blank set of judging sheets to follow along with, I'd be for that as well.