An armed forces and/or government sponsored corps

How come there arent more corps being sponsored by law enforcement, armed forces, or just federal/state governments? You dont necessarily have to be a part of the organization sponsoring the corps to actually be in the corps, but I mean, it would be cool to see DBCs sponsored by the the army, navy, marines, air force, etc.

Ladies and gentleman, now on the field, Spirit of the Air Force!

Thats just a short expression of my opinion. Not really a big deal. What do you think about corps being sponsored by armed forces/government?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't know the military was allowed to do that. Technically, it comes out of all of our pockets if they do. Not that I mind, really. I just remember that when I was in the military, we had to be careful not to sponsor entities in the name of the Marines...my branch.

It is hard to get the military to sponser anything mainly because of the two stated reasons above, the money (which comes from taxes), and that they don't like to put their name directly into too many things, mainly cause of the possible backlash of the tax payers saying that "we are putting our money into your program and this is what you are investing it in." Who knows for sure though.

The only exceptions right now are the Marine Corp Drum and Bugle Corps and the sponsership of the All American Marching Band by the Army (as previrously stated above).

How come there arent more corps being sponsored by law enforcement, armed forces, or just federal/state governments? You dont necessarily have to be a part of the organization sponsoring the corps to actually be in the corps, but I mean, it would be cool to see DBCs sponsored by the the army, navy, marines, air force, etc.

Ladies and gentleman, now on the field, Spirit of the Air Force!

Thats just a short expression of my opinion. Not really a big deal. What do you think about corps being sponsored by armed forces/government?

Because the government would rather spend billions on jet fuel, and fill up swiss bank accounts for Iraqi officials, than a minimal amount for a high-stepping Sousa show.

Regionally, local governments don't have any flair for that, plus we're fighting a "war on terrorism"

The Marine Drum and Bugle Corps, made up of active duty Marines and not "sponsored" by the Marine Corps, is a dinosaur in the military world. I don't mean that in a negative way, but at one time all of the services had numerous drum and bugle corps. Colonel Crawford, well known for leading the Marine D&B for many years, started his career with the Air Force Drum and Bugle Corps at the age of 17. He left the Air Force when that unit was disbanded. The last of the "other" Marine drum and bugle corps were disbanded in the 80s. Money was a big factor.

The only three drum and bugle corps remaining in the armed forces today are the Naval Academy Drum and Bugle Corps, the Air Force Academy Drum and Bugle Corps, and the Marine Drum and Bugle Corps.

Fully sponsoring a civilian corps would cost money. There was enough uproar over the sponsoring of stock cars, but I would dare to say that Nascar has a bigger fan base than drum corps, so there is more return for the dollar.

Edited by usmcontra

The only three drum and bugle corps remaining in the armed forces today are the Naval Academy Drum and Bugle Corps, the Air Force Academy Drum and Bugle Corps, and the Marine Drum and Bugle Corps.

You forgot the Windjammers at the Coast Guard Academy (that's OK tho....everyone bags on the Coast Guard....unless they need help at sea, of course)