Logging in

Ray Priester

Is it just me or do any other members have the same problem?

I log in and go to a thread and it says 'welcome guest'. So, I log in again. I go to a different thread or forum and the same thing happens. Just how many times does one have to log in?

Is this a system problem? Am I on double secret probation or something?

This has been going on since the "New and improved" DCP took place a few months back. I sent an e-mail to John asking him about this but so far, no reply.

Does anyone else have this problem? It's getting a bit tiresome.

Anyone?

Ray

We have heard of problems with people maintaining their login intermittently since the upgrade. We know that the new version of the system has heightened measures to maintain the security of the 'session id' - which some hackers have used on sites to gain access do nasty things. I'm not sure that there's a fix for this intermittent problem.

In general, I would suggest that you clear your cookie for the site. You'll also want to ensure that your browser is set to accept cookies. If not, your login information will not be preserved.

To provide a better diagnosis or investigate further, I'll ask that you send me information (via PM message) about your computer:

Operating system / version

Browser application / version

Internet service provider

IP Address

Sorry that you're having a problem. We'll do what we can to get it resolved.

-john

P.S. I didn't receive an email regarding this, that I know-of. My SPAM filter is pretty aggressive, so it may have been filtered out there. Posting a note here is the best way to ensure that we're aware of problems ... and lets others that may be having a similar problem have the benefit of our discussion. Thanks!

also, something I've noticed is that if I use my laptop on campus, log in to DCP there and leave it, then come home an log in here, I have to re-enter my info.

I think it happens b/c of the new security measures John mentioned....and doesn't allow me to log on in two places at once.

Perhaps you're logging in at two places, leaving one up, and coming back to the other?

also, something I've noticed is that if I use my laptop on campus, log in to DCP there and leave it, then come home an log in here, I have to re-enter my info.

I think it happens b/c of the new security measures John mentioned....and doesn't allow me to log on in two places at once.

Perhaps you're logging in at two places, leaving one up, and coming back to the other?

OK, this is the third time I've had to log in to respond to this. I only have a desktop at home. That's it!

Sometimes "new and improved" ISN'T!

Ray

i too am having this problem. it admittedly gets VERY frustrating and find i don't go to DCp too much because of it anymore.

i've got the situation similar to krista's -- when i'm down at the front desk working, i bring my laptop and surf DCP using the campus wireless.... get back to my room, plug in to the ethernet, and both times when i click my bookmark for DCP it brings me to a log-in screen (since my bookmark is set for bored forum which is restricted access)

doesn't bug me too much since i have my user name and password on auto-save, but it's been new since the switch-over.

i've got the situation similar to krista's -- when i'm down at the front desk working, i bring my laptop and surf DCP using the campus wireless.... get back to my room, plug in to the ethernet, and both times when i click my bookmark for DCP it brings me to a log-in screen (since my bookmark is set for bored forum which is restricted access)

doesn't bug me too much since i have my user name and password on auto-save, but it's been new since the switch-over.

Krista was absolutely correct - that is one of the security enhancements of the new version ... requiring a user to log-in again when the IP address has changed.

Krista was absolutely correct - that is one of the security enhancements of the new version ... requiring a user to log-in again when the IP address has changed.

And this helps us with one IP address how?

BTW, 3 more log ins to reply to this.

Really getting tiresome.

Ray

Ray, your IP address seems to be revolving.