Recruiting Through DCP

00Sop

Here is a thread posted for some random feedback.

In your corps' experience, how many recruits actually find out about your corps through DCP, show up and stick for a full season? It's a question we have kicked around within MCL and, perhaps, the answer varies depending on what region you are in. It seems most of our recruits come to us because of word-of-mouth, seeing us at a performance or by landing on our website after a Google search.

If the answer to the question is few or none, then recruiting time and energy might be better spent elsewhere. Thanks for your input.

Edited by 00Sop

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've always said any exposure is good exposure... unless it's indecent exposure! :)

Maybe not me going to the corps....but after looking through DCI.org and then the corps website, i stop by here just to see what people think about said corps or group....(although that might be a bad idea on DCP after all, lol )

I wouldn't have joined the Bridgemen if it wasn't for this forum. I saw a post for these guys and went down to check it out. It was home. So, Bridgemen got at least one guy from DCP.

On line can work...I originally fond Dream on RAMD (back when it was only SIGHTLY screwed up!).

En Garde's results from postings on the DCP, BD, Sound Machine, and World of Pageantry boards has gotten us a few staff. Most of the real recruiting was done by Mick Koons via ads on Craigs List and My Space....but MICK came through my original DCP post, as did Cliff DeArment.

I think you still have to some legwork and pass out flyers/make announcements at shows.

One BRILLIANT tactic (and I forgot who did it) was to tape recruiting flyers above the urinals in the mens room at band shows...you could also tape them to the inside of the stall doors and/or above the TP rolls, as well as on the paper towel dispensers....any place they're gonna be looking....just make sure you clean up afterwards!

Granted, I only know of one person who's joining who came to openhouse because he DID see the flyer above the urinal....but that's still a success!!

Beats the hell out of papering peoples windshields in the parking lot (a lot less effort, less trash, and you get to see the show!)

I have found DCP to be relatively ineffective as a recruitment tool for the drum corps I've been involved in...at least directly. Indirectly I'm sure that people have read stuff about us on here and then have told others about it...and those people have decided to join.

It's the only real online media outlet at our disposal, aside from our own websites, and therefore it's a great tool. Nothing, nothing, nothing beats the recruitment power of a motivated membership base. That's where we always got most of our members.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I've tried, through DCP, to recruit people to pay our monthly mortgage bill and haven't had any luck. :thumbup:

Fran

I think that DCP has it's place. Even if you gain one member that you didn't have before, it is a success.

But, I honestly think that DCP is more like a family of "nuts". Any discussion about drum corps is good for the activity! This is a place that we can all discuss, have fun, and talk about our favorite hobby. DCP is like one big Drum Corps!

P.S. Hey Scott, you gained me!!! :tongue: