-Out of town trips

-Buses

-Uniform cleaning

-Page protectors

-Binders/Flip Folders

-Instrument check out

-Reeds

-Maintenance/repairs

The fees that the students paid, went directly to the things that they would be using directly--and most of the time, things they got to keep.

Boosters fund raised and helped fund the the following:

-Music Arranging

-Drill Designing

-Instructional Staff

-Food (competitions, etc...)

-Contest Entry Fees

-Out of town trips

-Buses

The fees that the boosters provided or helped provide, were things that the students needed, but were more of a director/staff need.

Fund raising opportunities were always available, but I do not think the band fees ever exceeded $250.00

Students who are involved in winter guard, winter percussion, and other activities of the like are also required to pay a fee. They can pay it by fund raising, out of pocket, or by both.

I have no qualms with programs that are charging $1,000 or whatever--as long as the kids are getting their monies worth out of the experience. LD Bell going to Grand Nationals, is a great example. They probably took flights, or expensive charted coaches to get there, and stayed in hotels--then add the cost of food, and equipment hauling. Seems to me like being in that program might be more than what the kids actually had to pay. The amount you charge the kids to be in the program, should be based on what the goals and needs of the program will be. If you are not charging anything, I hope you have a good booster or administrative support line--or perhaps you only do local events. If charging a fee, there should be a clear reason as to why, and what the students will get out of it.

Edited by Matthew

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Band was "free" up until junior year.

I say "free" because technically there was minor affordable fees.

$15 t-shirt

$? instrument rental for entire season if you needed it

$? shoe purchase if you needed it

$? Band uniform rental fee

$? Gloves...reeds...etc

But, Junior year we were coming off of a year where we fell in the red for the 1st time, so they put in a minor $25 fee to just be in band.

All and all, VERY good considering we were a successful 250-300 piece band.

My sister is a HS Freshman in a band that is consistently in top 5 in their class at state final. She has to pay $80 - 100 for marching band and $125 for indoor drumline.

The band program is funded solely on parent/fundraising contributions. Unfortunately the school budget does not include the music program. :thumbup:

I can't believe this topic is still being discussed.

Take it over to marchingbandplanet.com if you want to talk about bando stuff.

Not saying this topic offends me. I'm a high school band director that deals with this stuff every day. This is just the wrong area to discuss it.

This is a website for the discussion of DRUM AND BUGLE CORPS. Not HIGH SCHOOL MARCHING BAND.

Get over yourself - this is one of the better topics on DCP lately.

Not saying this topic offends me. I'm a high school band director that deals with this stuff every day. This is just the wrong area to discuss it.

This is a website for the discussion of DRUM AND BUGLE CORPS. Not HIGH SCHOOL MARCHING BAND.

Did you report this great infraction?

Hey moderators...here's an idea. Let's close a thread by a Madison alum who is telling people to get in their alumni dues and support their respective corps, but let's keep open a thread that is about high school marching band fees, you know, rather than tell people to discuss this on the marching band planet.

Great job.

While I understand your point, Marching band planet ( IMHO ) is very weak for getting information. Most of what I read there are just kids chatting in the back of the bus.

As a band director in a private school who receives no budget at all, I charge the senior band ( 7-12th grades) $100 and provide everything but food and charter trips. We do several charter trips a year for football and TRY to pay for 1/2 of their seat price till I run out of money.

My elementary program I charge $25 a semester to rent an instrument. ( no charge is they own their own )

From these funds I have purchased over 80 instruments on ebay and do 90% of the repair work myself.