Plagerization of Drum Corps

Everyone wants everyone to play Malaguena. Cabs always have to play spanish; BD alwyas jazz; Hurcs always Mag7; PR always classical...yes? I don't think so; IMO. Might as well be '78 or '79 DCI when 3 or 4 of top 12 play Childrn of Sanchez. Least you now have the 'net and DCW to get your rep's word out to avoid all that duplication.

Funny I was thinking about this when I first started to read this thread.

Even though they played Children of Sanchez I still liked it because each corps did something to it a little different most of the time. Then again those where the days when every corps had some sort of really good soloist the would feature. That was fun. Guess that is why everyone still Loves BD we know we are going to have some really good solo work included. Don't get me wrong I like the corps today also just saying that is a nice plus.

Hey they use to play some songs the next year again. Come on who does not like North star 79 and 80.

(sorry Youngens you can listen to the recordings)

But then everone condemns corps for playing original or rarely heard before music too. Judges seems to hate rock music for drum corps; pop/rock music is so huge but is rarely done or done well and rewarded in corps; strange- differnt topic tho.

Yeah, it's new it's different, hunt it down and kill it. Dare to be different. But ya better still be entertaining!

Yeah We know about Playing Original it can work for you and against you.. Like you said above just be entertaining..

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One thing I have noticed in this thread - I don't think that there was a response from and Management personnel (other than Lee) and none from music arrangers and drill creators.

The input that these people would be able to give are the most important and informative. Knowing their mindset and reasons are key. As either marching members or the viewing public, we perform what we are given. It may be a note-for-note rendition, modified, or even an original composition. Same for a drill.

I'd truly love to hear from the "powers that be" in this regard.

Frank

One thing I have noticed in this thread - I don't think that there was a response from and Management personnel (other than Lee) and none from music arrangers and drill creators.

The input that these people would be able to give are the most important and informative. Knowing their mindset and reasons are key. As either marching members or the viewing public, we perform what we are given. It may be a note-for-note rendition, modified, or even an original composition. Same for a drill.

I'd truly love to hear from the "powers that be" in this regard.

Frank

Thank you. :tongue:

Where is Rodney King when you need him? "Can't we all just get along?"

Like you said, this is a freakin' senior corps forum and are having discussions/arguements/debates over a senior corps topic. Like I said in one of my previous posts. What is it with people not being able to handle a little disagreement and listening to other peoples opinions. If you don't like the conversation, don't get involved with it. But, stop calling on us to end the conversation as if it were a world war and peoples lives were at stake.

Debating is one thing. WHINING is something completely different. :tongue:

LOL...... Imagine a given corps' show title: "An Outright Ripoff Show"

Fran

I would argue in the case of the Brigs that since Wayne Downey was intimately involved in BOTH BD and the Brigs that there is no plagiarism involved whatsoever. The same writer, two different corps.

Now, originality of the program itself is an entirely different debate, but it's not what was asked.

Sometimes it seems like certain corps "plagiarize" themselves. For how many years, and how many different ways, can you play "Pegasus," and it still sounds good?

Not that there's anything wrong with that, I'm just sayin'. :tongue:

Edited by davidp

LOL...... Imagine a given corps' show title: "An Outright Ripoff Show"

Fran

isn't it all a rip off in one way or another? it's not like drum corps is a hot bed of true artistic creativity anyway. george zingali used other art as an inspiration for visual design (or so he claimed , Erte circa mid 80's comes to mind) and he's the most creative person I think I've been fortunate enough to march under in the activity.

I've played arrangements that were pretty much ripped straight from the source - not a lot of creativity involved in that.

Parts of Sunrisers 1987 music was from Star of Indiana 1986 - and those Jim Prime "space show" arrangements were originally written for another corps that didn't use them.

I would say this thread has gone on just to go on. Seems like everyone is repeating themselves. Ironic! :tongue:

One last(?) comment on this thread.

Why do shows have to have a title? "Back-in-the-day" no titles were used. Then, as today, all shows could be called - " songs that seem to work together". Unless you were doing a complete Broadway show, Opera, Movie,etc., that is really what it is.

Wish someone would have the nerve to admit it.

Frank