Most Butchered you've ever seen a Drum Corps Name

dingdingdingding!! This thread should be a top-10 of Curt Gowdy-isms.

Curt Gowdy...the Drum and Bugle Corps activity's very own George W. Bush!

From the 1989 PBS telecast, I still get a kick outta watching Steve Rondinero trying not to bust up when (right before the scores are announced) he's watching Gowdy talk about what a tight race it was between "The Phantoms and the Vanguards". (SCV having just had Phantom masks all over the field - makes it kinda funny. :thumbup: )

I think Rondinero jumped in and said something like "Yeah. It makes it kinda confusing when you had Phantom versus Phantom, in essence."

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's better then being from Jacksonville, Florida. Most people don't even know there ia a Jacksonville, AL....I wouldn't complain too much...at least it gets the correct name and location out there.

Hey man , Teal has gotten just about every jacksonville there is over this past season haha

Yeah, maybe I just hear that wrong too but I swear he says "Zim Zulick" It's on the CD for that year... I laugh everytime.

Brandt Crocker called Jim Zulich "Zim Julich." It's on the CD, but they corrected it on the DVD.

^ A copy of the video was put on every USSBA All-States championships DVD from 2005, and on it you can clearly hear "Zim Julich." Maybe they only fixed it for the DVD actually sold by DCI.

Edited by JGuy1288

We were once announced as The Big Blue Band from Hall of Fame Land once at a preseason performance were we performed for the locals in the PA town we were rehearsing in.

Epic.

I was under the impression that Paul Kane(sp) was also the Director of Crossmen for a year or two. i also think he was announcing at the Lawrence MA show this past sumer. I am almost positive.

I dont' know if this was already mentioned (don't feel like reading all 13 pages atm... sorry :ph34r: ) but at the Phoenix regional, they announced the Madison Scouts as the Blue Stars. How does that even happen? Lol.

Also on a forum somewhere, someone referred to the activity as "Drum and Buggle Corp". What's a buggle corp? :tongue:

At the Phoenix regional this past summer, the announcer said "coming on the field, from LaCrosse, WI, the Blue Stars!". The only problem was it was the Madison Scouts coming on the field. Right state, wrong corps.

There was another show this past summer (Ankeny, IA I think) where the Blue Stars did a standstill due to a rain out. The announcer told the drum major, Chad Armbruster, that his corps could take the field in exhibition. Unfortunately, Chad was the Corps Director, the drum major was Tyler Shipe.

OK, whoops, I guess it already was mentioned. :)

Hahaha, yep, that second one was Ankeny, IA. The funny thing was that Tyler actually went into the crowd to conduct, and the announcer even went as far as to say "Oh, there's Chad right there!" And someone on staff said "Actually... that's Tyler..." Hahaha. I had forgotten about that.

Edited by Supersonic

When I was in the USAF, I was assistant conductor of the Griffiss AFB Community Band (made up of active duty and civilian base personnel). One Xmas we had a concert slot at a festival in Rome, and our primary conductor, Capt. Michael Wier, was unable to attend, so I got my chance.

Now remember...Mike was an officer...I was enlisted (Airman 1st class....2 stripes)

So the announcer's introducing us and names off me as Capt. Wier.

I shake my head, and grab a sleeve of my shirt and look at my stripes.

The announcer: "You're not Capt. Wier?"

Me: "No...but thanks for the promotion!"

After the laughter died down I gave my own rank and name...funny!

Edited by 84BDsop

One of my favorite things about marching in New England is the announcement. I happened to have an easy to pronounce name, but some of the other guys and gals I marched with didn't have it as lucky, which lead to pronunciation next to names in the paper announcing us.