Question about the 150

Are there really 7 people in the average pit? Seems more like 10 to me.

10 even 12 at times. I think with 15 more slots, you will see an addition of about 8 to 10 brass, and yes, I think cymbal lines will make a comeback. They were removed from several corps because they wanted more horns. Now there is no excuse. One listen to any recording where the cymbals are played in the pit and WOW, all you hear are cymbals. They are loud enough by themselves. Put them in the pit where he amps pick them up and ugh, way too much and TOO LOUD. Overbalanced.

Cymbal lines have another advantage. Any corps has tons of percussionists try out. This way they can keep 5 in a cymbal line so that the following years perhaps they can move to snare, tenor or bass instead of discouraging them so they never try again. And cymbals add a visual creativity without having to change rules. I have not read the rules thread. I can tell already the traditionalists and those supporting "creativity at any cost" will be at each other. Not my thing.

Bigger guards will be tough. Some corps have no idea how many they will have in the guard until WGI is over.

Too many snares - and they will be hard to keep together. Same with more tenors. An extra bass drum is possible -- some corps might go to six. But a few more horns, a guard or two maybe, and perhaps a cymbal line. Tubas/Euphs would be great, but the instruments are expensive and players harder to find.

Jim

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really wonder which corps are honestly going to implement that corps size this year more important who really can? I honestly do not see this at all as a good thing.

Edited by Zeke

I really wonder which corps are honestly going to implement that corps size this year more important who really can? I honestly do not see this at all as a good thing.

How is this not a good thing? More tour/camp fees helps defray the high gas costs and other costs corps incur nowadays. More members will mean more opportunities for young people to march, more vets in future years, better corps, etc. Cymbal lines will be more likely to return, which will be good.

How is this not a good thing? More tour/camp fees helps defray the high gas costs and other costs corps incur nowadays. More members will mean more opportunities for young people to march, more vets in future years, better corps, etc. Cymbal lines will be more likely to return, which will be good.

I"m speaking more along the lines For Corps whom struggle just getting member to fill those spots.

I"m speaking more along the lines For Corps whom struggle just getting member to fill those spots.

Yeah, well Div 2/3 and the lower tier Div 1 corps are in the process of dying a slow death. Sad but true.

In an ideal world...

5 more contras (I refuse to use the 'T' word)

5 marching cymbals

5 marching cowbell

I thought you were serious at first (until I saw the cowbells) - in general I believe that I would rather have the 5 cowbells than 5 additional tubas (I love the T word - if we could add altos we could fill the field with T&A. Be tough to tune though).

Yeah, well Div 2/3 and the lower tier Div 1 corps are in the process of dying a slow death. Sad but true.

So we should do nothing but help the strong survive? Just curious. I think once the weak die the strong will lose, with less corps mean less shows mean less exposure means less people to try out............

So we should do nothing but help the strong survive? Just curious. I think once the weak die the strong will lose, with less corps mean less shows mean less exposure means less people to try out............

I don't think he's expressing a desire, more along the lines of making an observation. Brian and many others have observed the slowly declining numbers in Open class, along with rules changes and cultural shifts that seem to be making it ever difficult to exist as a smaller, community-focused corps.