Where did you sleep on the bus?

Once I slept by a door (it was freakin hot! No AC) in a gym somewhere in Nebraska. Now, if you know anything about Nebraska you know that during the summer they have some of the biggest freakin' bugs in the world. Well, one ended up in my sleeping bag one night. I still get the willies thinking about it.

We should start calling you "flinchy". :shutup:

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm with LancerLegend, napped in my seat. Always found a bus partner who wanted an aisle seat. I would prop my pillow up against the window, and try to catch an hour or two. Much preferred the gym floors.

On the way home from Pasadena this year, the people sitting next to me left (Parents picked them up to go to disneyland etc.), and so I got all 4 seats to myself. I borrowed my friend's blanket and slept across all 4 seats the whole 14 hours home (Ya i know it's not that long, but this year it will be). It seemed better than sleeping in my bed at home.

I slept everywhere and it was awesome. :shutup:

I remember in sacramento when we got to our housing site, our bus driver set up his air mattress in the cargo bay and slept there.

I was also only able to really just kind of nap as opposed to sleep most of the time. But when I did sleep it was in my seat. I saw one too many butt's fried with a lighter (nothing so bad as to hurt anyone) while sleeping in hammocks or interesting designs put on guys with cheeze whiz.

I would put my legs out on the various coolers down the aisle once the bus settled down and guys quit walking all over the place. That was when I was finally able to actually sleep. But being in an all guy corps, though, you have to be ready for anything at all times. You never know what type of gas may be in your face or what mayhem may befall you if you don't keep one eye open at all times... :shutup:

hmmm back in the 70's... I had my dad make me a wooden table like thing that had a leg on it! so my seat partner and I could put a blanket across it and both of us could lay down and stretch our feet to the seat across from us!!! Luckily those people didn't mind! Yep it was unusual but it worked for us!!! I once slpet on the floor on the way home from "Drum Fest" in Boston...much to my surprise the a fire occurred on the bus and everyone scrambled to get off...only I was not able to move so quick with everyone jumping over and on me!!! I never slept there again...

The best place was the floor - but we had a corps rule that there was 'no floor sleeping' EVER.

In 1972, when we were still using rented school buses, a T-shirt became lodged in the rear emergency door door that kept if from closing fully, but not enough to trip the alarm.

The daughter of our assistant director was sleeping on the floor near that door and when we arrived home, they could not wake her up. Fortunately, mouth to mouth brought her back and she was fine, but it was an lesson in Carbon Monoxide poisoning!

After that - we did not sleep on the floor or use the Emergency door in the back of school buses ever again.

Once we had coaches in 1975, that rule relaxed a bit, but the reclining seats were fine for me! I don't think anyone who was with the corps in 72 used the floor. It would have been nice to have consistent A/C though!

jim

I remember in sacramento when we got to our housing site, our bus driver set up his air mattress in the cargo bay and slept there.

REALLY? I didn't know that. the cargo bay was gross. I could barely walk over there to get my bags out without holding my breath.