Universal drum corps traditions/superstitions

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, that's Mojo's in Austin! Wow, weird small world moment. Is it still there? I haven't been near UT campus in a while.

Troopers has a strange superstition about passing cemeteries on the way to shows, or at least we did when I marched. We also sang the corps song before each show, and of course no swearing or eating in uniform or half uni.

well, actually it's a goofy villain monkey and a pub/cafe as well... :thumbup:

mojos.jpg

Edited by TerriTroop

looks like it's still there to me...

Well, it's in the pic. Didn't know when the pic was taken. :thumbup:

Oh, woops. Closed in 2005, according to this article. Then again, it may have popped back open for all I know.

most corps have a thing aout cleanliness in uniform. like about piercings and facial hair. that type of stuff. and to prove the point about bd ( in my case bdb) i did an encore with them over this past summer and there was members with nose and lip piercings on teh field. some members that looked like they hadnt shaved in a week

a week....? i didn't shave my goatee all summer haha.

On a historical note, when and how did leaving your shoes on the field after aging out start?

Any others I haven't thought of?

The first person to leave his shoes on the field after aging out was Ray "Moon Eyes" Johnson in 1977.

Moon was in the Kiltie Kadets from 1966-69, and in the Kilties from 1970-77. He was a lead baritone,

and warned the contras behind him about the shoes so that they wouldn't trip on them leaving the field

(back then they still had full retreat with everyone playing themselves off the field). The PBS broadcast

concluded with a close up shot of Moon's empty shoes, heels together at a perfect 45 degrees.

Besides the shoes on the field tradition, the other universal tradition that I can think of is that of

not breaking ranks of another corps, unless of course you want to get the tar beat out of you.

Of the three posters saying the "M" word is meaningless: one corps dropped out of the top twelve, one is a rookie and one corps long longer exists (information gathered from signatures and log in names....just my speculation).

a week....? i didn't shave my goatee all summer haha.

the guy looked really scruffy though. having facial hair is cool but as long as it looks clean and taken care of

BAC used to do a tree burn the night before their final show. Find a tree, put it in a trash can, then fire it up. During the burn members would throw notes or items from the season and say a few words.