Sleeper

But for serious, it takes consistency. I would have agreed with what you said, but just doing it for one year doesn't get you into the top 3. I don't care how good the Bluecoats are (they happen to have, in my opinion, one of the most talented, intelligent, and tuning-centric hornlines I've heard in the past decade, along with being one of the best sounding), they have to be good for multiple years before someone is going to be comfortable putting them where they belong. The Bluecoats know this as well, which is why you see them making changes in the necessary places to fit the correct pieces together to get that ultimate consistency which will bring them to the top, which is quite honestly where they belong.

Consistency helps, but ultimately matters is the show that they put upon the field. Bluecoats seem to have unlocked the key to Top 3 Brass (such a shame that they watered down the book last summer), but they only scored Top 3 there because of the show design. We may all love the Bluecoats, but they just didn't write the drill, guard book, drum book, and GE to carry them into the Top 3 at Finals.

Compare that show to Cavaliers, and there's no question that Cavies had the "better" show. It doesn't take outperforming by ten points, it takes writing and performing at that level which Bluecoats have yet to hit.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But for serious, it takes consistency. I would have agreed with what you said, but just doing it for one year doesn't get you into the top 3. I don't care how good the Bluecoats are (they happen to have, in my opinion, one of the most talented, intelligent, and tuning-centric hornlines I've heard in the past decade, along with being one of the best sounding), they have to be good for multiple years before someone is going to be comfortable putting them where they belong. The Bluecoats know this as well, which is why you see them making changes in the necessary places to fit the correct pieces together to get that ultimate consistency which will bring them to the top, which is quite honestly where they belong.

Being new to the activity, i never thought about it this way, but it does make sense. My only question then is this: How do they break into the top three the first time?

I also get how this works against them as well. EXAMPLE: If Bluecoats and Cavies (or any top three) have equivilant shows.. Cavies will get it?

I think Crossmen and Madison along with The Academy and Blue Stars are going to be jumping around eachother for finals positions all season. That chase is going to be a fun one to watch. Though I think SCV is gonna push back into the top 3 with Carolina Crown edging right behind them. Either way, this is gonna be a very fun year to watch.

Bluecoats will be the sleeper this year, I say top 3. Not just third, but third or higher.

Music is what makes the DCI world go 'round, and the Coats have got players. I went to camp this year, and I'm telling you they have talent in the music department. They have an incredible horn line. Drums really didn't sound together, but it's camp and who does sound together this early? Guard is what may hold them back, but remember we're talking top three, so it's splitting hairs at this level.

+++

I think there are two major question marks coming into the 2008 season:

What can Blue Devils do to match last year's unbelievable show? Don't they have to fall off just a little?

Fiedler is out. Cavaliers may have an off year without his leadership.

+++

I just don't see how the corps could possibly match the Magnificent Seven from last year, which was the best year for drum corps overall in decades.

Music makes DCI world go around? Really?

And here I thought this was a marching activity. It's visual my friend. If it was just the music, Regiment would have 10 championships by now. They were a bag visually through the 80s and early 90s but had some of the best musical shows out there.

Again, it's about the visual categories.

Uh. how about it's both, since it's Marching Music's Premier Leauge? :wall:

this.

~>conner

Like a ghost from the past they shall proclaim victory.... The Troopers!

I'm not voting here, but I am curious to know how many age-outs all the corps had last year.

Here are a few:

Crossmen = 22

Colts = 40

Can you add to the list?

Of course, this measurement doesn't really predict anything. What really matters is how many VETS return to their corps, if the show is written for the talent level, and the staff they have...

just some thoughts of mine...

I don't know about how many age-outs The Cavaliers had last summer, but I'm pretty sure it was on the lower side.

FWIW, here's a little quote from a recent article about The Cavaliers camp last weekend:

"...With the largest number of returning veterans marching in the corps' history, the experience level is high. The instructional staff is also very impressed with the talent of the new members who have made the 2008 corps..."

I like the way you think.... and i think you're right. I do have one question though... would a staff change at the top affect the Cavie's drill that much? ( i would have switched them with BD, but of course this is all personal oppinion and some hoping :D )

Given that Zuccala is not new to the corps, and has been assistant director for the last 12 years, I don't think it will have a huge affect on the corps as some seem to think. If anything, I think it'll be a great summer for them - large number of vets, being their 60th anniversary and Fiedler still providing counsel.

That said, I'd say Academy will move up if they seriously do some work with their guard.