For all you drum corps people

What no listens to The Shins :thumbup:

I actually really like their latest album, Wincing the Night Away.

I need to make time to listen to Oh, Inverted World and Chutes Too Narrow.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Muse, The Decemberists, The Shins, Modest Mouse, Smashing Pumpkins, Weezer, Coldplay (as of late), Foo Fighters, Frou Frou/Imogen Heap, Radiohead

Canadian Brass, Summit Brass, Boston Brass, lots of Symphonic stuff, Bach, Mozart, etc.

Wayne Bergeron, Maynard Ferguson, Jens Lindemann, Maurice Andre, other good trumpet players.

Edited by kadune

i really like musicals, lucky boys confusion, regina specktor, kaki king, ben folds (five)... well the list could go on and on

Geez...I don't know when the last corps recording I listened to was. Of course, everything I hear sounds like corps to me!

Beethoven 5 and 9, sometimes 4. Prokofiev 1. Judas Priest, Angel of Retribution (cool stuff!). Mahler 1000. Almost anything Bruckner :thumbup: Mozart Requiem this weekend. Strauss Zarathustra and Alpinsinphonie.

Berlioz, Harold en Italie--great stuff! There's a programme there that is just...horny, single 21-year old running around Rome.

Tchaik 6--great programme there, too. Just, nobody else knows what it is!

That's good for now.

I can listen to anything from classical to rap, but it has to be the kinda "rap" that has more than 2 measures of music behind a guy complaining about his life when he's richer than 85% of the people on this forum.

XM radio has been pretty good to listen to for variety.

If I had to pick a genre to listen to it would probably be classic rock from Kansas, Eagles, Queen, REO Speedwagon, Boston, Styx, Led Zepplin, Pink Floyd, Moody Blues, Lynard Skynyrd, Alabama, that kinda music.

From my Facebook:

AFI, Aiden, All That Remains, Arch Enemy, As Blood Runs Black, As I Lay Dying, Asian Kung-fu Generation, Avenged Sevenfold, Big D and the Kids Table, Bigwig, Bleeding Through, Brain Failure, Breaking Benjamin, Burn Me Down, Catch 22, Children of Bodom, Comeback Kid, Converge, Darkest Hour, A Day to Remember, Dethklok, Dir en grey, DragonForce, Dropkick Murphys, ELLEGARDEN, Escape the Fate, Evergreen Terrace, Five Iron Frenzy, Flogging Molly, girugämesh, Groove Coverage, He is Legend, Hellogoodbye, HORSE the band, I am Ghost, In Flames, !n-Discretion, It Dies Today, J. Geils Band, Jimmy Gruesome and the Hipsters, Job for a Cowboy, Kamelot, Killswitch Engage, Linkin Park, Me First and the Gimme Gimmes, Mustard Plug, My Chemical Romance, NOFX, OC Supertones, Rancid, Reel Big Fish, Relient K, Richard Cheese, Rise Against, Savage Garden, Scary Kids Scaring Kids, Skindred, Staind, Streetlight Manifesto, Suicide Machines, Sum 41, System of a Down, The Arrogant Sons of #####es, The Aquabats, The Black Dahlia Murder, The Fall of Troy, The Flaming Tsunamis, The Phenomenauts, the pillows, The Refreshments, The Seatbelts, Thousand Foot Krutch, Tiger Army, Tokyo Ska Paradise Orchestra, Trivium, Versailles, Warmen, We Are the Union, X-Japan, Yellowcard

Hope that covers it :thumbup:

I mostly listen to ska,

the Toasters and all that good stuff

That's what I'm talking about. Nice guys. Played a gig with them, The English Beat and Let's Go Bowling a while back. Fun times!

Great topic!

I myself listen to all kinds of music, these are some of my favorite artists (there are some Dutch artists in my list which you'll probably don't know, but they're worth looking up!):

Aaron Copland, Acda en de Munnik, Alain Clark, Anouk, Average White Band, Barry Manilow, Behave, Bill Chase, Billy Joel, Blood, Sweat and Tears, Bowling for Soup, Casting Pearls, Creed, Daft Punk, Dave Brubeck, Dave Koz, Dave Matthews Band, De Dijk, Earth, Wind and Fire, Elvis Costella, Etta James, Fall Out Boy, Ferry Corsten, Fiction Plane, Fischerspooner, Foo Fighters, Garbage, Gary Jules, Gloria Estefan, Goo Goo Dolls, Gordon Goodwin's, Gustav Holst, Henryk Górecki, Imogen Heap, Incubus, Jack Johnson, Jamiroquai, Jeroen van der Boom, Julio Daivel Big Band, Kate Nash, Krezip, KT Tunstall, Linkin Park, Live, Lost Prophets, Oasis, Oleta Adams, Pillar, The Prodigy, Queen, Reef, Relient K, Rooney, Soulive, Stan Kenton, Stereophonics, Shostakovich, the Dandy Warhols, the Fray, the Police, the Strokes, Three Doors Down, Tower of Power, Van Velzen, Youngblood Brass Band.

On my iPod you'll find, among others:

Alison Krauss and Union Station (I used to say I'd listen to anything but country--I guess that no longer applies)

Bela Fleck and the Flecktones

Billy Joel

Blue Man Group

Brad (hum Pachelbel while listening to "The Day Brings"--if you must steal, I guess you might as well pilfer from the best)

Creedence Clearwater Revival

Daniel Bedingfield

Danny Elfman (our generation's answer to Bernard Herrmann - :thumbup: )

Gary Jules (brilliant songwriter)

Imogen Heap ("Hide and Seek," while gorgeous, tends to eclipse other tunes, especially "Daylight Robbery"--brilliant!)

Jars of Clay

Journey ("when the lights go down in the city...and the sun shines on the bay..."

KT Tunstall

Pillar

Radiohead

Styx

White Stripes

One other quick aside: if you are considering trying Radiohead, DO NOT GET KID A FIRST. An acquaintance was totally into the band, and at the time Kid A getting all sorts of attention, so I picked it up. Big mistake--not that it's necessarily a bad album, but if you don't have the background of their earlier stuff (particularly OK Computer), you're likely to find the band completely alienating. After Kid A, I didn't even consider Radiohead until In Rainbows, which I find absolutely fascinating.

One other quick aside: if you are considering trying Radiohead, DO NOT GET KID A FIRST. An acquaintance was totally into the band, and at the time Kid A getting all sorts of attention, so I picked it up. Big mistake--not that it's necessarily a bad album, but if you don't have the background of their earlier stuff (particularly OK Computer), you're likely to find the band completely alienating. After Kid A, I didn't even consider Radiohead until In Rainbows, which I find absolutely fascinating.

I think you're correct in that Kid A is probably not the best starter album when attempting to get into Radiohead, but I do think it is one of the most rewarding, especially after many repeated listens.

I would say jump in with either The Bends or OK Computer. I started to say Pablo Honey, but it's just not as great all-around as some of their other work. I do LOVE Creep and Stop Whispering, however, from that album.

I think the first Radiohead album I came to love was Kid A, though. It's hard not to love Everything In Its Right Place right from the beginning, and How To Disappear Completely is just stunningly beautiful.

Advice to aspiring Radiohead fans: Don't touch Amnesiac or Hail to the Thief until you grok at least two of the more "mainstream" albums.