Geaux Tigers

It was a great game, indeed

I'll be auditioning for Crown for the 09 season.

I was kinda disappointed in what I saw of Ohio's band, but that's just my LSU bias kicking in, I think.

Just for the record, it's OSU. "Ohio" is another university in the state. I was disappointed to see LSU using lyres and hearing many of the fracked notes in the brass. I thought OSU’s band had a much better tone in the brass and I didn't see any lyres. In fact I know they aren't allowed to use them. Both bands had unremarkable music and marching, but college band is not the same animal as drum corps. Overall, I think OSU looked cleaner and sounded better, tone wise. LSU probably had marginally better arrangements.

I agree, it's your LSU bias kicking in. And yes, I actually have attended both schools and they both have great music programs with great musicians. They've both won great awards. I think both bands were limited by the patriotic themed shows.

Edited by jjeffeory

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also saw few folders in Ohio's band, if memory serves me correctly. (good chance it doesn'y, though)

Their director would never allow that. Sorry, but I have NEVER seen the fall marching band use lyres!

Just for the record, it's OSU. "Ohio" is another university in the state.

You should tell that to over half the people in Ohio that refer to OSU as "Ohio". Seriously, I was at the U-M vs. OSU game and I wanted to tell all these people in red cheering for "Ohio" that they were supposed to be wearing green and in Athens.

You should tell that to over half the people in Ohio that refer to OSU as "Ohio". Seriously, I was at the U-M vs. OSU game and I wanted to tell all these people in red cheering for "Ohio" that they were supposed to be wearing green and in Athens.

My experience of living in Columbus and SE Ohio ( Where Ohio University's main campus is located and has a major presence) is that everyone knew the difference. I spent time in Cleveland and people there didn't know as much, but they still got it. I didn't realise it was so difficult to call a school by its correct name. I live in Madison and people here get it right. I lived in Southern California and people there got it right. Heck, I lived in Louisiana and most people there got it right... I think it's more about being lazy which happens everywhere.

The guy who dotted one of the i's in pregame is a Cavalier.

The SEC rules the football world. The bands... not so much. THe best PLAYING band in the SEC is Georgia. The best marchers... I guess would be Tennessee, but they all stink. There are many fine college marching bands in the south, they're just not in the SEC.

Ohio State SOUNDS great. Those unis are so incredibly hideous, its hard to watch them seriously. I like old school. I like spats. Check out the University of North Alabama on youtube. THey have a hip look (Suncoast-style) and still wear spats. (03-07)

The SEC rules the football world. The bands... not so much. THe best PLAYING band in the SEC is Georgia. The best marchers... I guess would be Tennessee, but they all stink. There are many fine college marching bands in the south, they're just not in the SEC.

Ohio State SOUNDS great. Those unis are so incredibly hideous, its hard to watch them seriously. I like old school. I like spats. Check out the University of North Alabama on youtube. THey have a hip look (Suncoast-style) and still wear spats. (03-07)

Haha...wow...I mean...haha...just wow

I completely agree. The SEC bands are highly overrated.

LSU does not even have the best band in LA.

I know Bleu Raeders (sp?) made finals in the early '70's.

Since then, have there been a lot of Louisiana kids marching in drum corps?

I heard rumors of several competing in New Jersey corps in the '80's (both Bridgemen and Cadets) but am not sure if that is accurate.

sidebar- I was hoping OSU would win tonight.

First, because I live in Big 10 country.

Secondly (from a DCI perspective), their band is all brass. Kinda unusual for a college marching band.

However, congratulations to LSU. They flat outplayed OSU in almost every phase of the game.

Wolfgang

:thumbup::ph34r: :ph34r: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: