BD using Pro-Mark!?

I am truly suprised with the latest comments about promark sticks. While I understand that Promark is seen as the "little guy" they are quite the operation in Houston. I have used Promark for nearly four years, mainly for marimba, vibe, and timpani mallets, but have also come to know their marching percussion line quite well. In the few years I was a member of Southwind, Promark staff members Stacy Waites (Stokes) and Don Glick visited far more often than was needed. Yes, they were interested in HOW we played, but more importantly, they question their company's quality. Were they doing EVERYTHING possible to supply a Div. 1 corps with the best equipment possible. My answer to them was a resounding YES! They even went so far as to custom-make mallets for me. I am very excited about the new Blue Devils/ Promark ties. I feel they will both benefit from this new deal and Promark can become the leading company which I know they are.

EXACTLY! Whatever most people may have thought, or even currently think about Pro-Mark, they have made enormous strides in the last 5+ years. Also worth mentioning is the fact that they are actually the leaders in the industry in terms of stick sales(especially in terms of drumset products, which are a much larger market share, btw). Granted, I happen to be a Pro-Mark endorser, but that is due to their exceptional customer service, willingness to take people's input and apply it to product development, and their concern for quality, but perhaps most of all, when you are one of their endorsers (BTW, I've seen the exact same treatment for "ordinary" customers as well, FYI), you are essentially part of a "family". It's difficult to imagine better customer service and personalization in dealing with any company.

Admittedly.....at the time that I signed on with Pro-Mark, I wasn't 100% enthralled with their product line, BUT, what was very attractive was their unbelievable willing and eager nature to improve things, which they have unquestionably done - in due measure to a number of loyal endorsers as well as the enormous efforts of people such as Staci Waites (STOKES!). I can't imagine playing another note without a Pro-Mark stick. Congrats to the Blue Devils....you guys will absolutely enjoy dealing with everyone at Pro-Mark. It's odd how so many people will think of this development in terms of "Why are Blue Devils doing this?". I can tell you right now, the Blue Devils will later be thinking "Why hasn't a top 12 corps done this before?"

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We actually had a semi-sponsorship from them my sophomore year of high school, but their warehouses got hit hard by the hurricane so we didn't even get a t-shirt...

I am truly suprised with the latest comments about promark sticks. While I understand that Promark is seen as the "little guy" they are quite the operation in Houston. I have used Promark for nearly four years, mainly for marimba, vibe, and timpani mallets, but have also come to know their marching percussion line quite well. In the few years I was a member of Southwind, Promark staff members Stacy Waites (Stokes) and Don Glick visited far more often than was needed. Yes, they were interested in HOW we played, but more importantly, they question their company's quality. Were they doing EVERYTHING possible to supply a Div. 1 corps with the best equipment possible. My answer to them was a resounding YES! They even went so far as to custom-make mallets for me. I am very excited about the new Blue Devils/ Promark ties. I feel they will both benefit from this new deal and Promark can become the leading company which I know they are.

I can't speak for their marching products, but as far as the pit stuff goes, I really liked everything they gave us in '05 and '06. And as far as them doing everything to satisfy our needs and supply the best equipment possible, the original set of mallets we received from them had begun to warp within a very short time period for us with practices being in the Northwest where there was always a lot of moisture in the air. I don't recall the name of the rep, but I think maybe a week or so later we had an additional TWO sets of every mallet we already had, custom made out of birch wood (or whatever light colored material it was that didn't warp/bend) for FREE. You can't beat that in terms of keeping the customer happy.

I like free stuff...

Edited by Carl306

Not necessarily...

Lee Beddis is a signature artist for Vic but he's the Caption Supervisor for an Innovative Sponsored corps.

Too many people forget that drum corps is a business, and sometimes decisions have to be made in the best interest of that business.

They wouldn't have switched if there wasn't a good reason.

That is all...

Pro Mark must've offered BD a REALLY good deal. I still think it's wierd though, cuz almost everything BD used w/ VF is signature anyways....

i HATE PM though; but, i guess this'll REALLY help them out

I don't get it, whats the big deal? Isn't it almost the same scenario if some corps switched from Bach mouthpieces to Yamaha?

But that was a few years back and they have come out with better snare sticks and way more options. One product that I absolutely love (for indoor) is the there bass mallets that are just a solid piece of wood with no felt ball. They are essentially a bass drum stick and all though the design is simple... it is probably one of the more innovative implements for indoor drumming. The only implement I have heard on bass drums indoor where you can actually hear the articulation of the drums.

Back in the day (MY day!) all bass drum sticks were just plain wood. :smile: