Rule Moritorium

I would like to see a moratorium on rule changes for 5 years.

I think all of the effort that's going to discussing (IMHO) silly rules such as water and amplification for brass instruments (give me a break) could be better spent on activities such as:

1) teaching corps directors how to better manage their organization;

2) figuring out how to get DCI out of the hole financially; or

3) how to re-generate the activity, so that there's more than 22 corps at DCI (remember the good old days when it was an HONOR to make the top 25?).

The focus of this activity is all out of whack.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think all of the effort that's going to discussing (IMHO) silly rules such as water and amplification for brass instruments (give me a break) could be better spent on activities such as:

3) how to re-generate the activity, so that there's more than 22 corps at DCI (remember the good old days when it was an HONOR to make the top 25?).

Rotra ruck, Jeff....you know who to talk to about THAT!

(btw...are you done with my yearbook yet?)

:rolleyes: I couldn't agree with you more! Brilliant post!

Answers:

1-Wich organization do you speak of?? DCI?? or the corps themselves? Last I checked the corps that I am a part of does pretty well, and last I checked DCI was doing OK too. I would love more corps out there, but DCI still puts plenty of butts in the seats, still sells alot of videos, and is still beloved by alot of folks.

2-Well this would require DCI to be in a hole financially. Last I checked, DCI was not operating on a deficit budget. Since dan took over, he (and others) have been able to take DCI from near death to solid financial solvency.

3-I would love to see this too, and the folks at DCI would too, but they know it is good to have 22 solid corps then 75 fly by nights. BTW, with open class there are alot more than 22 corps in DCI..

Try again.

1-Wich organization do you speak of?? DCI?? or the corps themselves? Last I checked the corps that I am a part of does pretty well, and last I checked DCI was doing OK too. I would love more corps out there, but DCI still puts plenty of butts in the seats, still sells alot of videos, and is still beloved by alot of folks.

And, for the first time in over 30 years, that same DCI was forced to cancel their annual TV telecast, due to "rising operating costs of the corps".

2-Well this would require DCI to be in a hole financially. Last I checked, DCI was not operating on a deficit budget. Since dan took over, he (and others) have been able to take DCI from near death to solid financial solvency.

Once again, "rising operating costs" must be quite severe to force such a drastic cutback as the unprecedented cancellation of the telecast. If that is what is necessary to maintain that solvency, then it would seem that financial restraint should be the current modus operandi for DCI.

Rule changes that increase costs shouldn't even be on the table right now. Perhaps a moratorium is worth discussing, since the directors (or, at least, one of them) show no restraint in the face of "rising operating costs". I wouldn't prohibit cost-neutral rule change proposals, and I wouldn't advocate such a long time period as five years....but some restraint would be appropriate at this juncture.

3-I would love to see this too, and the folks at DCI would too, but they know it is good to have 22 solid corps then 75 fly by nights. BTW, with open class there are alot more than 22 corps in DCI.

Really? When did the open-class corps obtain DCI membership? Oh, that's right - they never have. Oops.

Try again.

Right back atcha!

And, for the first time in over 30 years, that same DCI was forced to cancel their annual TV telecast, due to "rising operating costs of the corps".

Once again, "rising operating costs" must be quite severe to force such a drastic cutback as the unprecedented cancellation of the telecast. If that is what is necessary to maintain that solvency, then it would seem that financial restraint should be the current modus operandi for DCI.

Rule changes that increase costs shouldn't even be on the table right now. Perhaps a moratorium is worth discussing, since the directors (or, at least, one of them) show no restraint in the face of "rising operating costs". I wouldn't prohibit cost-neutral rule change proposals, and I wouldn't advocate such a long time period as five years....but some restraint would be appropriate at this juncture.

Really? When did the open-class corps obtain DCI membership? Oh, that's right - they never have. Oops.

Right back atcha!

I am guessing that the broadcast was cancelled because its revenue potential was not great enough to cover its costs. Remember that DCI had to PAY ESPN to get this on the air. I would hazard that the advertising revenue was not great enough to keep it going.

Of course we all pontificate here on things that we dont really know all that much about. Do you or I have a copy of DCI's balance sheet? Are we privvy to the budget meetings in Addison? No.

Do any of us have access to the balance sheets of YEA! or The Blue Devils?? Do we know the ins and outs of all of the corp's sponsorship deals or capital improvment budgets?? Ahhh..no..

And BTW..the OP was speaking of the numbers of corps competing at DCI..he said nothing of membership. Nor did I. Yeahhhh...

Of course it is easy for folks here to be armchair directors and spout off all of this..the reality is many here are misinformed or have no idea of the real facts.

Ball's in your court...

Edited by tubamann

I am guessing that the broadcast was cancelled because its revenue potential was not great enough to cover its costs. Remember that DCI had to PAY ESPN to get this on the air. I would hazard that the advertising revenue was not great enough to keep it going.

Of course we all pontificate here on things that we dont really know all that much about. Do you or I have a copy of DCI's balance sheet? Are we privvy to the budget meetings in Addison? No.

Do any of us have access to the balance sheets of YEA! or The Blue Devils?? Do we know the ins and outs of all of the corp's sponsorship deals or capital improvment budgets?? Ahhh..no..

And BTW..the OP was speaking of the numbers of corps competing at DCI..he said nothing of membership. Nor did I. Yeahhhh...

Of course it is easy for folks here to be armchair directors and spout off all of this..the reality is many here are misinformed or have no idea of the real facts.

Ball's in your court...

See bolded parts above - ah, yeah, I do. They are freely available on line. In fact, I have every World Class corps, except for Spirit (I can't find recent financial for them - perhaps the name of hte oganization changed when they affilited with JSU). But it's really more the income statement over time that you need to look at, as opposed to just the balance sheet.

Edited by SkyRyder_FMM

That's not what DCI said in their press release.

But I do have access to the press release from DCI, explaining the reason for the telecast "hiatus". Dan Acheson cited rising operating costs for the corps as the overriding economic challenge behind the decision. So we all know this - right? Or are you suggesting that DCI's press release is not truthful?

Doesn't matter to me. As long as DCI denies membership to some of it's participating units, the number of units in the junior activity will continue to fall.

Ball's in your court...

I think your last volley got caught in the net....

Absolutely! Great Idea!

It is a great idea, but can we hold it until after the amp rules are revoked, then impose the 5 year moratorium? Maybe make it 50 years? Thanks! :thumbup: