A little help here please

Track and swimming are head to head or timed events. Not subjective. It would be like bowling.... two people get a strike, but a "judge" decides whose strike was better. I was in a little bit of a hurry and couldn't think of good examples as were presented afterwords. Don't be mad, I was already discriminated against by a coach. I wouldn't be in shape... I was the only person in my class to get the Presidential Physical fitness award all four years of high school, but I just wasn't in shape.

Gymnastics and figure skating-->sports-->Oympics. FWIW.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the best thing to compare it to would be figure skating or gymnastics/rythmic gymnastics. Those are judged by a panel similar to DC. Some people classify those as sports even though one skater/pair of skaters has no effect on the other skaters, and how gymnists have no physical affect on who they're competing against. They're all judged, like DC. So if one is going to call ice skating and gymnastics a sport, then how can DC not be called one? All have parameters and rules, and certain elements of creative expression. Aside from the obvious, I don't see much of a difference.

Dutch Boy was studied in 2005 for the health benefits by Wilfred Laurier University. There's a blurb on Dutch's website here ---? http://www.dutchboydrumcorps.com/research.html

Just throwing this out there. A few sports where competitors don't share the field/court/team vs. team at the same time:

*figure skating

*gymnastics

*baton twirling (NBTA/USTA etc.)

*synchronized swimming

archery

bobsled/luge/skeleton

weightlifting

equestrian

alpine/freestyle skiing

ski jumping

diving

pole vault/high jump/long jump etc.

snowboarding

Some consider ballroom dancing a sport

*competition similar to drum corps

Edited by skajerk

Gymnastics and figure skating-->sports-->Oympics. FWIW.

Those are excellent examples, but it is still someones subjective opinion as to who places where. There is no way to truly compare routines as no one does the same thing, but they all do have to do certain moves in their shows. I don't know of any corps that have been told that you must present an X scale while moving backwords at 220bpm. If I remember correctly, this subjective scoring got some judges and skaters from certain countries in a lot of hot water. These are all great examples, but the common person won't buy into it. I am only trying to get people to think, on what basis they can prove that it is a sport. I know we can do better. I know of one. At most sport events, people get drunk :tongue: and boo :thumbup: the other team and argue with the other teams fans :thumbup: , so we are getting closer to a real sport :guinesssmilie: .

I went on vacation to Greece last summer and went to the site of the Ancient Olympics in Athens. While I was there I found out that herald trumpeting was an event in the Ancient Olympics.

Anyone who thinks you cannot affect your opponent's score in golf has obviously never played golf. You can't do it physically, but you sure can psychologically.

By the way, competitive drum corps have affected each other this way as well as far back as you want to go.

In my opinion, I think it all comes down to what you think a sport is. For instance, band/drum corps fits my definition of a sport, so I think it's a sport. However, let me pose this question: how many people do you think will say band isn't a sport because it's scored subjectively? Now, another question: how many people do you think will say that band isn't a sport because they think it's easy? The numbers from the latter far surpass the numbers of the former (I likes using da big words). Too many people think that band isn't a sport because they see it as being easy. They think that all we do is "walk and play music." They refuse to acknowledge that anyone in marching band/drum corps does any form of work. The proof's out there, but they don't listen.

Okay, I'm not sure if what I said made any sense, so I'm gonna go crawl back in my hole. I've got snow to enjoy. :guinesssmilie:

Just throwing this out there. A few sports where competitors don't share the field/court/team vs. team at the same time:

*figure skating

*gymnastics

*baton twirling (NBTA/USTA etc.)

*synchronized swimming

archery

bobsled/luge/skeleton

weightlifting

equestrian

alpine/freestyle skiing

ski jumping

diving

pole vault/high jump/long jump etc.

snowboarding

Some consider ballroom dancing a sport

*competition similar to drum corps

Mountaineering, Rock Climbing, Ice Climbing.