A little help here please

We DC folks talk out both sides of our mouths; one season we are art, the next we are sport. It is what it is!!!

Drum corps is art... drum corps is sport... drum corps is... SPART! :guinesssmilie:

I agree with the quoted post. DC is what DC is. It is athletic, it is artistic, it is competitive, it is hard work and sweat, it builds character and discipline, it teaches young people to push their personal envelopes, and it's even fun and silly from time to time. It doesn't have to be called a sport to prove its worth.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think marching is a sport. I think it's better.

Thanks for the replies you have left, but he is still being a jerk/jock ! (take your pick) His cellphone rang last night on air...nice touch !

Personal opinion....drum corps and marching band are sports simply because synchronized swimming, gymnastics and figure skating are sports. The physical portion of the activity follows the principals of these Olympic worthy sports (I'm actually not 100% sure synchronized swimming is in the Olympics though, so sorry if I'm wrong on that one).

The argument I've heard against that is that in drum corps you are actually playing the music, where as the other sports cited use a tape. So I guess you could argue that if you told a drum corps to not play, then they would have to be a sport, right?

And continuing on that, by adding the horns, you've taken your already defined sport and added more responsibility...therefore making a sport harder, and therefore more competitive.

That's at least how I've seen it.

The problem here, is that for some reason people are equating "sport" with "every activity that requires athleticism".

That just isn't the case.

Is marathon running a sport? Is body-building a sport? Hell, even most of the Olympic events aren't considered "sports" (we call them the Olympic Games for a reason).

All those things aren't sports, and yet in many cases require a person to be a much better athlete than they would need to be in a traditional "sport".

Not calling Drum Corps a "sport" isn't an insult. Your activity doesn't have to be considered a sport to require a great deal of athleticism.

If I may clarify myself a bit here....I didn't say I equated drum corps as a sport. I simply wanted participants to be considered athletes. Some other prior poster on another blogzone, said to the effect of band not being a sport. I have never considered drum corps or band a sport, but I do consider the participants to be athletes. I know I couldn't do what they do, even if I were 21 again. Hoot, I don't think anymore I could handle a Senior show with out blowing out a heart valve !