Why no mention/Important New Rule Change Proposal

• Replies 647
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Besides, 9 is a majority of the current BOD, and 8 have already decided they want this.

Reeeally. Do tell....

Random thought--are there any legalities involved here? I know the common sense conclusion is that DCI can do whatever it wants to define itself, but I'm wondering if there are any technicalities that come into play. Hypothetically for instance, that as incorporated the board structure is defined a certain way, and changing the board structure invalidates the incorporation. Or that changes to board structure require a supermajority of votes. Just wondering out loud.

Random thought--are there any legalities involved here? I know the common sense conclusion is that DCI can do whatever it wants to define itself, but I'm wondering if there are any technicalities that come into play. Hypothetically for instance, that as incorporated the board structure is defined a certain way, and changing the board structure invalidates the incorporation. Or that changes to board structure require a supermajority of votes. Just wondering out loud.

no, no, and no.

501©(3) is just a tax classification, not a corporate structure.

So, this has probably been brought up already (I didn't have time yet to read the entire 53 pages of this topic) but has anyone considered how this might make the KIDS feel? Yeah, those crazy people who this activity is actually all about. They are already under a lot of pressure to be the best they can be, why add on the "top nine" factor where their director will only be allowed on the committee if they outperform the corp in tenth place? I mean, has the vision that this is about the kids marching been COMPLETELY forgotten?

You can say it hasn't all you want...I really think it has.

Ridiculous. And sad at the same time.

Edited by jbjb85

Worst case scenario: The reorg passes and it leads into a schism in DCI. Does anyone think that the Top 9 will stick together? You don't think that a SCV or Phantom wouldn't jump ship with the rest of the corps?

I can't forsee a future where the Top 8 are able to get along to the point that they would screw over the rest. There will always be defections.

And maybe the outcome will be better.

We'll see at the end of the weekend.

If the Hopkins weren't in the picture, absolutely. Not a shadow of a doubt.

There is a legitimate and worthy argument being made here against the concept. But to my mind, that argument is mostly academic. It is the potential influence of one man that's inspired most of the passion heard here.

Oh, OK. Feel free to speak for the rest of us. :lol:

Since you seem to support this proposal, how can you say what the thought process is for those people who don't support it? I know that in my own case, I don't care if it's George Hopkins, George Bush, George Washington, or someone not even named George....my objection to the proposal is based on the concept. I think stripping the votes away from everyone but the top 9 creates a vicious circle of elitism. I also find it paradoxical that the main justification for the change is the nine-person size (similar to the existing Executive Committee - if it ain't broke, dont fix it)....not to mention that the outside "advisors" suggested in the proposal would create a group of over a dozen people, with nine voting - still not addressing the dynamics as well as advertised.

I just saw this, and I just read the proposal. I am quite literally in shock. Slide 15 is nothing short of an announcement of a coup.

This proves what I've thought since 2005 - George Hopkins has morphed from an intelligent innovator to a selfish, power-hungry maniac. But I think it's important to point out that, while he's certainly the ring leader, he's not alone. If his introductory slides are to be believed, the directors of the other top seven corps (Blue Devils, Cavaliers, Phantom Regiment, Santa Clara Vanguard, Carolina Crown, Bluecoats, and Blue Knights) have ALL conspired to take power for themselves and away from anyone other than the "elites". All so George can keep his plug-in toys. God, how I HATE this man - and how I hate the rest of them for listening to him.

What I don't understand is why the other corps don't pre-empt this and eject the top eight from DCI? They're actions warrant it - and their own words indict them. Surely the existing bylaws would permit it?!?!

I am very literally in tears - this is sad on so many levels.

But I don't think we should stop going to corps shows - quite the contrary. We should show up - then LEAVE THE STANDS when ANY of these corps perform. Better yet, BOYCOTT their souvie stands. Since most often these corps go on last, I think they'll get the picture LOUD AND CLEAR when everyone gets up midway through the show, buys a Blues Stars or Troopers t-shirt, and LEAVES the place to the crickets.

Lets see how many of these "band kids" that want to play guitar stick around for night after night of THAT.

I have Web skills - and I plan to use them to launch this campaign. PLEASE, if you care for the unique, wonderful musical genre we know and love, JOIN THE FIGHT TO SAVE IT! And most especially - if you're a marching member of ANY of the offending corps, or a parent or friend of same, PLEASE consider organizing the REMOVAL of these directors from your corps.

In a way isn't this some of the same crap that was going on with VFW/AL when Don and Jim met in that bathroom and talked about forming the Combine? (no pun intended...really!)

I think that Hopkins might have gotten the same bug Tony Scheleta had in the late 60's; and this is the ultimate in throwing a fit....except for the danger it could create within the DC community. THIS could destroy DCI....much in the same way that the IRL/CART split has in essence destroyed open-wheel racing in the US. You cannot split the participant pool like this; and especially in a time that is so economically insecure as it is right now it could cause sponsors, fans, and with it, funding, to dry up. This will cause a split...all you would need is a restrenthened Msdison, the new Blue Stars and what will be a stronger Troopers (this is all hypothetical..) to take the rest of the corps with them. (These were original DCI members!)

Even more so; this combined with the fool-hardy move to keep pushing the age limit up, could cause many to lose non-profit YOUTH group status...and that would be another blow.

Also; I believe IMO that the publicity of this type of split it would cause will dry up the audience pool. That is very dangerous to a money-driven activity.

I would hope the so-called powers that be can see the folly in this. I have a fear, however, that they may not due to the fact that most in the activity are not business-savvy.

Edited by prodigal bari