Why no mention/Important New Rule Change Proposal

Fair enough.

I honestly highly doubt there is anything to worry about though. Yes it takes only takes 9 corps for the vote to pass but I think that at least some of the current top 9 corps will realize that they are not always going to be the top 9 corps.

Let's hope so. :wall:

• Replies 647
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't normally repost a whole quote, but yours has so much good stuff in it, I did! This proposal is rationalized as being intended to help strengthen management of the DCI organization. But how does making top 9 equate to business qualifications? Some of these corps have been run into the ground financially, and that's taking into account the extra income derived from their top nine-ness. Roman Blenski, who runs one of the most successful corps in DCI by any measure except for rankings, might never qualify to grace this august body with his presence.

Purely for the sake of playing devil's advocate, how many times has a corps placed 9th or higher and then folded before the next season? (Star doesn't count)

The executive board has been tweaking and discussing this proposal for months. It could be 8 corps instead of 9 though. It puts the future and direction of DCI in the corps director's hands (who are affected the most) instead of the hands of outside board members.

Fair enough.

I honestly highly doubt there is anything to worry about though. Yes it takes only takes 9 corps for the vote to pass but I think that at least some of the current top 9 corps will realize that they are not always going to be the top 9 corps.

If you're in the top 9 (or 8) you're in. One year terms. If you want to be on the board, then your corps needs to get better.

The executive board has been tweaking and discussing this proposal for months. It could be 8 corps instead of 9 though. It puts the future and direction of DCI in the corps director's hands (who are affected the most) instead of the hands of outside board members.

Got it. The top 8 corps are affected by DCI decisions and policies more than all the other corps. It seems so obvious now. :wall:

Honestly I could get on board with this if it gave 2 exclusions that would be voted on by all member corps.

Rule proposals and how corps are paid.

If you're in the top 9 (or 8) you're in. One year terms. If you want to be on the board, then your corps needs to get better.

I understand that, but are corps like Blue Knights and Boston really going to vote yes banking to this proposal banking on staying in the top 9?

So marching Saturday night isn't even good enough.

It was semis...then all this "had to earn tenure crud" and now it's going to be 8-9 corps.

I'm sure some of the rationale has to do with the already shrinking World Class.

But, how can you say if you don't march Saturday night you are not good enough to help decide DCI's future. And if you can't say at least that, then how can you say Friday night's finish doesn't matter.

I like 17 myself. If you march semis you get a vote.