Why no mention/Important New Rule Change Proposal

Um, where is this stated? Until this is proven I don't think we should be giving this much thought.

• Replies 647
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay -- I have a copy of the full proposal. THere is actually some good stuff in here that I think most folks posting in this thread will like. Please give me an opportunity to read this all thru more carefully and present it here in a more readable fashion.

In the meantime -- here are some excerpt that have to do with the general topic at hand in this thread.

Again -- please remember that I do think there is some overall good stuff here -- it's just the makeup of the board portions that I am highlighting first. More to come :wall:

Anyway, here are some excerpts to at least validate some of this thread. Happy reading :worthy:

(Hope I don't get in too much trouble for this!!! :smile: )

(edit -- one point I want to make is that all this is presented sic (as is). I made no changes for emphasis or any other reason)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

The Board of Directors will include the top 9 World Class Corps of Drum Corps International, as decided upon at the DCI Championships each August.

Terms for the board are one year.

The Corps is the entity that is entitled to board membership. Each organization assigns their representative ( Normally the director)

Non corps directors will serve DCI only in the role of advisors … to the board, and to the CEO as requested.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

The new DCI – the board

These 9 corps will be the board of DCI and will meet no less than 4 times a year to govern, support and assist the CEO and his team in the management of the organization. Missing anymore than one meeting ( the organization will result in immediate dismissal for the at large members and the loss of vote, for one year, for the standing members of the board of directors)

There is no longer an executive committee of DCI. THE BOARD … is THE BOARD.

The Board would have all current responsibilities of the board and the executive committee. Included here would be competitive decisions, business plans, budgets, the employment of the CEO, and all decisions and responsibilities normally held by the board of directors.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The new DCI

Officers of the organization – Chairman, VP, Sec and Treas. will be selected my a vote of the BOARD once they are seated in September of the year following the championships.

The Roles of the officers will be those normally assigned to officers of a non profit association.

Committees of the board, and the office, can include, any member corps, any personnel, or any supporters of the activity selected by the chairman or the CEO ( depending on the scope of the committee)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The New DCI – the Membership

The Members of DCI are those corps who have performed as World Class corps the year prior to the annual meeting of the board.

All Members of the Association would be invited to one annual meeting of the association where discussion, education, and collaboration would exist.

Members of the Association would be incited to participate on committees and task forces of the association as necessary and as agreed.

Tour plans and related fees and budgets will be agreed to and approved by the new board.

Membership WILL NOT vote for the CEO, Budgets, COMPETITIVE RULES , or other operational issues and procedures.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Impact on Current Membership

Vote loss as of the passing of this proposal

Loss of Determination , or a vote on competitive issues.

Loss of Determination, or a vote, on fiscal and governance issues of DCI

Other than that

Still a part of the schedule

Still paid for participation

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some Issues and Questions

Why 9 ?

We searched for a number that allows for an off vote, and enables the premier corps of DCI to have a say in the future of the organization.

Why not outside directors?

It is philosophical and worthy of discussion. In short, we the corps, need to enact what we say. We have “SKIN IN THE GAME”. Although we cherish the opinion and advise of experts, we believe we have the ability to assist DCI in making the correct decisions as they affect our future.

Why do we think that these 9 will do a better job?

We are asking for a four meeting commitment. We have seen in meetings that the group does work well together and does open to each other.

Why let competition decide the 9?

It’s clean, it’s simple and there is a truth to the results at some level. The 9, are the corps, generally, that sponsors want, their participation and buy in is crucial, and 99% of the time, there IS a relationship between placement and organizational ability.

What about the other corps?

We are asking for trust in a system that we hope will allow for supportive and effective governance of the organization. We can see that 20-25 corps in the room is at best ineffective and is at worse, a FARCE. Member corps should concentrate on their organization. Place 9th and you are a part of the governing body.

With one year terms, will there be huge turnover?

Well, history tells us that one or two seats would change in any given year. We can argue that this should not be the case, but for the purpose if this discussion, it is true.

What if a corps does not want to be a part of the Governance

If a corps declines or loses membership, the next corps in line will be asked to take their seat at the table.

What if there is a tie for 9th?

There will be 10 corps who come to the table as a part of the DCI process.

When does the new term begin for the new board?

The new and old board will meet in September of each year. At that juncture, the new board would take over with the beginning of NEW BUSINESS.

When and what is the annual meeting?

Still in January, the annual will be a time for presentations, education, and sharing among all members of the organization. There will be a membership meeting, there will be a rules congress, there will be educational sessions. DCI will pick up the expense for all member corps.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now What?

Today – Discussion and perhaps some indication of the body.

January 25th – presentation including all related by law and policy changes.

Beginning Sunday the 27th of January .. If approved, the new board would take effect.

Edited by Liam

And I'm pretty sure I'm right. I'll stop adding any information I know to this. Believe what you want.

I actually know that you are wrong about this. I have seen the proposal. It basically makes the top 9 corps into the governing body of DCI and gives them complete and total power over the whole activity. If they decide that only the top 9 get paid to do shows and the rest don't than that is what it is. If they decide that the top 9 get first dibs on the which shows they can go to and everyone else is left with the leftover than that is what it is. If they decide that DCI is only made up of 9 corps than there you go.

What is even more dangerous is this: If 9 corps decide the future of DCI than it only takes 5 to pass a new rule.

Lets play devils advocate for a second since you think it not such a bad idea:

-Lets just say this rule passes because the top 9 vote yes, the other 8 that have a vote say no and the measure passes.

- 2 years from now Hopkins (or whomever) decides that there should be a rule proposal stating that only the top 5 corps have a vote and they are the new governing board of DCI. The top 5 vote yes, the next 4 vote no and the measures passes.

- Then a few years later Hopkins (or whomever) proposes that the governing body of DCI should be 3 corps and 3 corps only. The top 3 vote yes, the next 2 vote no and the measure passes.

This is a dangerous rule that is bad for the entire activity. If it passes I bet you will see groups breaking away from DCI within a matter of a few years.

What was the good stuff that we were supposed to like?

I actually know that you are wrong about this. I have seen the proposal. It basically makes the top 9 corps into the governing body of DCI and gives them complete and total power over the whole activity. If they decide that only the top 9 get paid to do shows and the rest don't than that is what it is. If they decide that the top 9 get first dibs on the which shows they can go to and everyone else is left with the leftover than that is what it is. If they decide that DCI is only made up of 9 corps than there you go.

What is even more dangerous is this: If 9 corps decide the future of DCI than it only takes 5 to pass a new rule.

-Lets just say this rule passes because the top 9 vote yes, the other 8 that have a vote say no and the measure passes.

- 2 years from now Hopkins (or whomever) decides that there should be a rule proposal stating that only the top 5 corps have a vote and they are the new governing board of DCI. The top 5 vote yes, the next 4 vote no and the measures passes.

- Then a few years later Hopkins (or whomever) proposes that the governing body of DCI should be 3 corps and 3 corps only. The top 3 vote yes, the next 2 vote no and the measure passes.

This is a dangerous rule that is bad for the entire activity. If it passes I bet you will see groups breaking away from DCI within a matter of a few years.

Funny -- I was going to posit this exact same scenario !!! You beat me to it!!!!

Cynical minds think alike, I guess :wall:

Again...why not 17? 12? why such an arbitrary number except for the 17 voting members?

Could it be the subset is intended to provide in general more committed and stable representatives for the activity? Aren’t more stable corps the ones less likely to be swayed by short-term needs and most likely to make decisions consistent with the long-term health of the activity?

I don’t mean to suggest that any of the corps, past or present, who’ve finished lower in the hierarchy have cast their ballots selfishly or stupidly. It is possible to imagine, however, that a corps facing inactive status or one with a particular financial hardship might be persuaded to vote in ways that served their own short-term interests alone. Those are conditions that aren’t usually associated with the top-finishing corps.

HH

A part of me thinks this is a ridiculous argument.

Honestly, that part of me is probably right.

I posted this before, but I think it got lost in the merge. If Cadets had a disasterous year and dropped to 10th place, how quickly would Hoppy be drafting a "top 11 make the BOD" proposal?

What was the good stuff that we were supposed to like?

The overall approach of the proposal is an acknowledgement that the existing structure does not handle the business side of things as well as it should and the idea is to more closely represent how boards in other organizaitons operate. There is acknowledgement that most of the directors can't (or don't care to) read a balance sheet. Stuff like that I thought was going down the right path. It's just that the solution, I think, doesn't address the problem, and in many ways would actually make it worse, imo.

Also, I read most of it quickly because I wanted to post the relevant stuff here right away, so let me go home and read this thru more carefully and then I will present a better version for your perusal/judgement.

Thanks!!!