Why the anger when comparing DCI/DCA/MB/eras?

I work with Unix systems and Oracle databases and lot of the time I'm comparing different ways to do things. Then either the best (or least worst) way or combination of ways can be chosen. So let's just say I'm used to looking for nit picky details and discussing the similaities/differences/pros/cons/etc.

Tried this a few times on DCP an found out this PO's a bunch of members. God forbid you say that you prefer one thing over the other. Tried this yesterday about differences between DC and MB and got accused of hating MBs. Earlier tried discussing todays theme shows with non-themed from my era and was told I hate todays shows. :lol:

What serious discussions have also been tried that turned into flame wars?

Any ideas why this happens?

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

I work with Unix systems and Oracle databases and lot of the time I'm comparing different ways to do things. Then either the best (or least worst) way or combination of ways can be chosen. So let's just say I'm used to looking for nit picky details and discussing the similaities/differences/pros/cons/etc.

Tried this a few times on DCP an found out this PO's a bunch of members. God forbid you say that you prefer one thing over the other. Tried this yesterday about differences between DC and MB and got accused of hating MBs. Earlier tried discussing todays theme shows with non-themed from my era and was told I hate todays shows. :lol:

What serious discussions have also been tried that turned into flame wars?

Any ideas why this happens?

In the case of the thread about MB and DC...I think that the way you posited the OP might set some people off...you came off as being anti-MB from the get-go...here is what you posted:

Fans: Very temporary in the MB world. After the marcher graduates, family and friends quit going and the marcher may watch until their friends graduate. In DC more of a chance of long term fans in the stands. Also used to be a lot of non-DC background people in the stands at local shows back when I marched. Not aware of many people like that at MB shows.

Members: OK, how many marchers in a competative MB don't want to be there but stick around because of family, can't be in concert band if not competing, etc. In DC very few are there because of outside pressure.

Sense of History: How many MB members do you know that can list off what their group did at Championships since before they joined the band? And how many places sell old MB recordings that are bought by people who were NOT in the band during those shows?

It did not come across as a real unbiased search for the differences...it came across as a way to downgrade MB to pump of DC.

It did not come across as a real unbiased search for the differences...it came across as a way to downgrade MB to pump of DC.

I kinda get what you mean Mike, and my non-emotional "just the facts ma'am" style from work carried over here. I should have asked for rebuttals to my initial post if anyone had differing experiences. BUT, what I posted is still what I have experienced in my limited exposed to the competative band world. IMO, what followed was shooting the messenger instead of anyone explaining why I was mistaken. "Thin skinned" is the milder of the two terms that come to mind.

Edit: I posted those three points because they are the only points I know halfway (half###ed) about MB. Guess I should have spelled that out too.

In the theme show post I did a few years ago, I stated I like non-themed shows better because.... But the time the first page ended I had about three people accusing me of being a dinosaur and hating todays shows, corps and members. My response was "If I like hot dogs better than hamburgers, does that mean I hate hamburgers? Of course not, I'm just stating a preference".

To put it simply there are too many posters who perfer to insult and flame instead of discussing something they read that they did not like. Not sure if that's the way they were brought up or just too #### lazy to put thought into what they post. Or ye olde "I've had a bad day, so I'm going to take it out on someone else".

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

I kinda get what you mean Mike, and my non-emotional "just the facts ma'am" style from work carried over here. I should have asked for rebuttals to my initial post if anyone had differing experiences. BUT, what I posted is still what I have experienced in my limited exposed to the competative band world. IMO, what followed was shooting the messenger instead of anyone explaining why I was mistaken. "Thin skinned" is the milder of the two terms that come to mind.

Edit: I posted those three points because they are the only points I know halfway (half###ed) about MB. Guess I should have spelled that out too.

In the theme show post I did a few years ago, I stated I like non-themed shows better because.... But the time the first page ended I had about three people accusing me of being a dinosaur and hating todays shows, corps and members. My response was "If I like hot dogs better than hamburgers, does that mean I hate hamburgers? Of course not, I'm just stating a preference".

To put it simply there are too many posters who perfer to insult and flame instead of discussing something they read that they did not like. Not sure if that's the way they were brought up or just too #### lazy to put thought into what they post. Or ye olde "I've had a bad day, so I'm going to take it out on someone else".

I dont know....i actually kind of agreed with your points about marching band. I was in a competetive group that was average at best, so i cant speak for the elite groups out there. My girlfriend was a part of a band that won 15 titles over the last 30 years or so, maybe i should ask her about her experiences in that regard....