• Phantom 82
    • Phantom 83
    • Phantom 84
    • Phantom 03
    • Phantom 07
    • Madison 78
    • Madison 85
    • Madison 95

Ruin? Not at all. I can still enjoy the show musically. My disappointment comes in that I think had that corps had a visual program they could have challenged for the title. It is always a shame to me when I see a corps that seems talented beyond the means of the product they are given.

OT response:

I loved the amount of melody in he music - but was often worried that we didn't have enough technical demand. We justified it by saying that there were a lot of musical demands due to phrasing, nuance, and field position. If you really have a problem with the finals recording, then check out: 1) the semi-finals video (a much cleanner, though less emotional run), 2) the studio recording we made finals week (found on the member video). Also, this was the first year the breathing gym was used (Sam and Pat were on tour off and on) - and it made a huge difference when combined with the new King horns.

As for the visual - we just had problems cleaning all season. A large part of the problem came from show design - it just seemed to take forever for that show to come together, and it didn't seem like we really started cleaning in earnest until July. The drill (with the exception of parts of Wild Nights 1, and the closer) is very misleading. It looks far eassier than it actually was to perform due to the slower velocity of such large forms. That said, my jaw drops (and I'm insanely jealous) when I see the drill that the corps has had from 05-07. Personally, I think of 03 as the beginning of the 'welcome back' transition - and enjoy it for what it is. Just glad a lot of people seem to enjoy it.

...and beore someone brings it up - yes, we blew it at the Westchester, PA show. Sorry if you were there.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OT response:

I loved the amount of melody in he music - but was often worried that we didn't have enough technical demand. We justified it by saying that there were a lot of musical demands due to phrasing, nuance, and field position. If you really have a problem with the finals recording, then check out: 1) the semi-finals video (a much cleanner, though less emotional run), 2) the studio recording we made finals week (found on the member video). Also, this was the first year the breathing gym was used (Sam and Pat were on tour off and on) - and it made a huge difference when combined with the new King horns.

As for the visual - we just had problems cleaning all season. A large part of the problem came from show design - it just seemed to take forever for that show to come together, and it didn't seem like we really started cleaning in earnest until July. The drill (with the exception of parts of Wild Nights 1, and the closer) is very misleading. It looks far eassier than it actually was to perform due to the slower velocity of such large forms. That said, my jaw drops (and I'm insanely jealous) when I see the drill that the corps has had from 05-07. Personally, I think of 03 as the beginning of the 'welcome back' transition - and enjoy it for what it is. Just glad a lot of people seem to enjoy it.

...and beore someone brings it up - yes, we blew it at the Westchester, PA show. Sorry if you were there.

Thanks for sharing here. I hope my comments were not offensive to you. I have always thought that 03 Phantom was an extremely talented corps, and I hope my posts here conveyed that.

slightly ot:

am i the only one who thinks that for a show as revered as phantom 03, the first hit in canon has horrendous pitch issues?

Understand that I'm a honk, but I've never been that blown away by that show. Granted I was gone 98-03 and came back in 04, but the show lacks the visual elements that Cavies had mastered by that point. And, yes--a PR vet just said that!

Pitch was an issue in that whole show, but yeah, especially when they played blastissimo. I love the show because it was when I felt they were saying "we're back to stay," but it's hard to get past some of the intonation problems.

Agreed. Fun show, and the Canon reprise is pretty cool played at blastissimo, along with several other parts, but the ONLY two things I remember from that show visual-wise are the percussion block messing up the horn block (that HAD to be fun for the drums!) and the crab/hop thing at the end. Just not a good visual offering by 03 standards. But the music book was great.

On to other things, I have to say that the 07 corps was possibly the finest 4-spot ever, quality-wise, though I'm not a huge fan of the show, and still believe to this day that 93 BD would give horns a run for their money. Maybe it was just the soloists, I dunno. Overall nod has to go to 07 PR, between these two, due to the visual package.

Lance mentioned an interesting point about 03 PR and the "we're back" attitude. Very OT to say, but I would have to say that 06, and maybe 05, were the corps' awakening to the thematic and visual ideals that seem to have really taken root in this decade and have largely been mastered and pushed to the forefront by Cavaliers. Kind of an, "Oh, NOW we've got it" transition. Fun shows both.

Ruin? Not at all. I can still enjoy the show musically. My disappointment comes in that I think had that corps had a visual program they could have challenged for the title. It is always a shame to me when I see a corps that seems talented beyond the means of the product they are given.

Let me ask you this, how did you enjoy Cadets 07? I will assume from your post above that you did not let the narration ruin the experience for you.

At least you can enjoy the show musically. When one uses words like "kill" and disappointed" it leads me to think you didn't care for the show at all....my bad.

As for Cadets '07...I applaud them for their execution but the product wasn't one of their better choices. I found the naration unnecessary, and to a degree, insulting. I'm sorry if we don't share like opinions but at least we can be civil about it.

At least you can enjoy the show musically. When one uses words like "kill" and disappointed" it leads me to think you didn't care for the show at all....my bad.

As for Cadets '07...I applaud them for their execution but the product wasn't one of their better choices. I found the naration unnecessary, and to a degree, insulting. I'm sorry if we don't share like opinions but at least we can be civil about it.

Civility is always a good thing, as much as I struggle with it sometimes.

Civility is always a good thing, as much as I struggle with it sometimes.

Agreed :ph34r: Nothing like taking a deep breath before hitting the add reply key...... :tongue:

82 Phantom is one of my all time favorite shows!

00 SCV is a close second

Didn't 04 Phantom also get 4th? THAT was an awesome show. As much as I got into

03...I personally liked 04 better because of Oblivion and the closer. SO intense!

95 scouts have always been one of my top shows... how many times has a 4th place corps brought home a brass trophy? props to those guys as well as some of the other great sounding lines from 95.