The Voting has Started/Electronics/amped brass passes

All I'm saying is, the first time I hear Techno on the field, or a Westfield-style rapper, its hotdog city.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sam, thanks for telling me what something I love "isn't about." I know perfectly well what drum corps is "about" to me. And the changes I see like this, the less inclined I am to want to march. Why would I want to participate in something that I don't agree with?

i don't know, bud. that's a really good question.

my hunch -- based on my interactions with the high school kids i teach -- is that most of them either (1) don't know the rules of drum corps, but really want to do it anyway, or (2) don't care about the rules of drum corps, but really want to do it anyway. these kids are going to join drum corps because it is a much higher level version of what they do, not because "there are no amps, etc."

you seem to be a member of a rare class -- a potential member who knows about and cares about the current rules. you certainly find yourself in an interesting situation with no hard and fast answer. DCA, maybe? there are a lot of senior corps in the philly area. i bet you could still join one for this season if you wanted.

ok i'm done being an ### in this thread.

continue the annual "death of drum corps" talk...

All I'm saying is, the first time I hear Techno on the field, or a Westfield-style rapper, its hotdog city.

That's what worries me...the "lowest common denominator" usage of it.

Now, like I said earlier in the thread...if Phantom used it to put a monster piano player out on the field, or there was something else that really took show design towards a 180, it might be interesting to see.

I just haven't seen many bands make real good use of the technology yet.

you seem to be a member of a rare class -- a potential member who knows about and cares about the current rules. you certainly find yourself in an interesting situation with no hard and fast answer. DCA, maybe? there are a lot of senior corps in the philly area. i bet you could still join one for this season if you wanted.

Or a huge fan who had no intentions on ever marching until DCP pretty much insisted that I do.

this is an outrage...

i'm burning my tshirts

melting my championship rings

tearing up my photos

ripping the pictures off of the wall

its all over! never again will kids get to live the drum corps life. electronics will certainly never allow people to create the life-long bonds between themselves and others. water on the field will prevent them from developing in-human work ethic.

i'm just gonna go cry in the corner now.

</sarcasm>

I don't consider IT to be all over. having a HOT TUB on the field may create even stronger life-long bonds between members :ninja:

Its people and opinions like THIS, NOT brass amps and electronics, that are going to kill the activity. Drum corps will continue to evolve because of these additions. If I'm wrong in 5 years, then you can call me out for it. Come on, do you really think the sound of corps is going to fundamentally change?!?! NO!!! As long as it continues to be an all brass group, then the awesome sound will remain the same.

Evolve? Drum corps has taken yet another step towards drum corps. Evolution is continuing to become an unique entity. Drum corps is not evolving, it is merging, that's all.

Yeah, the naysayers have been predicting the end of DCI almost since its beginning.

Seems like the naysayers are getting a lot closer these days though.

DCI is there and will be for a long time. The uniqueness of drum and bugle corps is gone.

Enjoy the bands, folks.

Edited by DrumCorpsFan27

this is an outrage...

i'm burning my tshirts

melting my championship rings

tearing up my photos

ripping the pictures off of the wall

its all over! never again will kids get to live the drum corps life. electronics will certainly never allow people to create the life-long bonds between themselves and others. water on the field will prevent them from developing in-human work ethic.

i'm just gonna go cry in the corner now.

</sarcasm>

Dude, nobody likes a sore winner. :ninja:

I really don't see how electronics is a stepping stone to woodwinds.

What is the logical bridge that connects electronics and woodwinds?

It is the path of openning up instrumentation. Now you will be able to synthesize woodwinds. How long before they say, let's have the real things? Not long. I give it 5 years, at the most.

instead of proclaiming that you don't care about the members' experience, you really should march once.

then you might see that it isn't about the shows.

I have marched, seven years. The show is part of it. Being part of something unique and distintive from the stereotypes that are out there. That's what bonded us.