2008 Ageouts and beyond

After the ageout rule proposal was voted down in caucus I started wondering how the actual marching members that would have benefited from this change feel about it being shot down.

I am one of those that would have benefited and am rather saddened that it was defeated so soundly.

So if you are one of those that would have been given the benefit of an extra year are you:

1.Relieved that it did not pass?

or

2.Sad that after getting excited over the possibility of an extra year, as I did, had your hopes dashed on Saturday?

Opinions?

I really feel for anyone who this is their last year of eligibility and they have not been able to march yet but were planning on doing it next year under the new rule and now can't. :ninja:

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't want to march after I graduate college. I want to find a job and start MAKING money. This is advertised as a YOUTH activity, so leave it for them. The more 22 year olds you have in a corps, the more 17/18 year olds you have to cut who don't come out again because of that experience. I'm glad, I don't need more debt. And now I won't have to deal with the burden of "having" to march when I don't want because it's my age out.

Besides, if anyone took this year off expecting a rule to pass, well that's just silly. You should never expect a rule as controversial as that to pass without question.

I don't want to march after I graduate college. I want to find a job and start MAKING money. This is advertised as a YOUTH activity, so leave it for them. The more 22 year olds you have in a corps, the more 17/18 year olds you have to cut who don't come out again because of that experience. I'm glad, I don't need more debt. And now I won't have to deal with the burden of "having" to march when I don't want because it's my age out.

Besides, if anyone took this year off expecting a rule to pass, well that's just silly. You should never expect a rule as controversial as that to pass without question.

I'll second this post. I've had the summer of 2008 set in my mind as "that year" when I'll be done with drum corps since I first started marching.

Honestly, I didn't want another year to ageout.

I've been living on my own since I was 17, and it's going to be incredibly hard to march this summer and the next. I'm already started training in my career, and should start Chiropractic school in the next couple years, and there's only so long I'll be financially and mentally able to check-out for 1/4 of a year.

I'd march my age-out, no matter what, I just wouldn't want to let career options pass me by while I was on tour.

In all honesty.. couldnt those that have marched forever and ever just choose not to march that bonus year? I mean, nobody's forcing you to march it. However, there are many who dont even start marching until late hs\college that would love the chance at an extra year.

I'm saddened by it because I discovered the activity so late, and 3 years isn't enough for me. I wish I could've had a fourth so I could gain more...but, I'll just have to make the best of the years I do have left!

Hey, at least you found it earlier enough to have 3 years. :ninja:

I'm marching the ONE year I have available, and I'm hoping to make everything out of it.