The market is self-correcting

After lurking around here for years, I decided to finally "join the fun" today, after reading about the new rules.

My contention is this:

Drum corps is about excellence and creativity. It's a highly personalized experience, which is why (in my opinion) there's so much hysteria about things like this... everyone wants it to "stay" the way it was when it impacted their lives.

Creative people, however, are seldom satisfied with the status quo.

If this "brave new world" of DCI winds up smelling like the back bay at low tide, it's pretty safe to assume that this electronic trickery will go away, and the pendulum will swing back again.

Am I the only one who remembers when Cirque de Soleil was actually a circus? It has evolved, gotten one heck of a lot more dependent on technology, and is more popular than ever. I'm sure that there are people in French-speaking Canada who are still upset that Vegas has absorbed a zillion different Cirque troupes, and their beloved Celine as well... but I digress.

Give this time... it's either going to work or it isn't... and in the mean time, it might just provide the memory of a lifetime for the young performers and might even wind up engaging some talented kids who wouldn't have otherwise had the chance to be the new creators, composer and visionaries for the next generation.

All of this talk about abandoning the activity and flocking to DCA, wearing abusive t-shirts and such is just foolishness. The market will self-correct if this is horrible... and it MIGHT just garner more attention if it's not. After watching what's going on in other art forms (including DCA's mini-corps), however, something tells me that the next great explosion of creativity is about to begin, whether we like it or not.

I may not be thrilled with the changes, but I'm going to support the activity that has given so much to me. Excellence is still excellence, and I'm anxious to see how this comes out.

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After lurking around here for years, I decided to finally "join the fun" today, after reading about the new rules.

My contention is this:

Drum corps is about excellence and creativity. It's a highly personalized experience, which is why (in my opinion) there's so much hysteria about things like this... everyone wants it to "stay" the way it was when it impacted their lives.

Creative people, however, are seldom satisfied with the status quo.

If this "brave new world" of DCI winds up smelling like the back bay at low tide, it's pretty safe to assume that this electronic trickery will go away, and the pendulum will swing back again.

Am I the only one who remembers when Cirque de Soleil was actually a circus? It has evolved, gotten one heck of a lot more dependent on technology, and is more popular than ever. I'm sure that there are people in French-speaking Canada who are still upset that Vegas has absorbed a zillion different Cirque troupes, and their beloved Celine as well... but I digress.

Give this time... it's either going to work or it isn't... and in the mean time, it might just provide the memory of a lifetime for the young performers and might even wind up engaging some talented kids who wouldn't have otherwise had the chance to be the new creators, composer and visionaries for the next generation.

All of this talk about abandoning the activity and flocking to DCA, wearing abusive t-shirts and such is just foolishness. The market will self-correct if this is horrible... and it MIGHT just garner more attention if it's not. After watching what's going on in other art forms (including DCA's mini-corps), however, something tells me that the next great explosion of creativity is about to begin, whether we like it or not.

I may not be thrilled with the changes, but I'm going to support the activity that has given so much to me. Excellence is still excellence, and I'm anxious to see how this comes out.

strong 2nd post

Besides, DCI is a product. You can just not buy the product if it isn't any good. Which is more than likely what I'll do.

Edited by no_itsnotadash

Self correcting markets can be Hades on the groups/companies making up said market. And sometimes the group/companies never recover where they were before.

Just ask the American car companies when they misjudged the small car market and the Japanese got a BIG foothold on the market.

And how many Rambler/American Motors products are still being sold....

Let's not forget DCI is only one of the groups, it is NOT the entire "Marching and Playing" market

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

We've done that over the past 60 years. The market picked drum corps over summer marching band.

That is good news, right?

We've done that over the past 60 years. The market picked drum corps over summer marching band.

The error in your logic, in my opinion, is that drum corps IS summer marching band... albeit a niche derivative that creates performances at a high level of achievement.

As a member of this "market", I am making my decision. When I walk away from DCI, I don't really care whether it gets bigger, smaller, survives, or dies. I will have washed my hands of it and left it to the rest of you. I don't pretend to think that my support will make a life or death difference for any particular corps or DCI itself, but they had better hope there aren't a lot of people doing the same thing as me or they will wonder what went wrong. Once I am out, I am more than likely out for good. Drum corps is not so big that I won't find a way to live without it.

As a member of this "market", I am making my decision. When I walk away from DCI, I don't really care whether it gets bigger, smaller, survives, or dies. I will have washed my hands of it and left it to the rest of you. I don't pretend to think that my support will make a life or death difference for any particular corps or DCI itself, but they had better hope there aren't a lot of people doing the same thing as me or they will wonder what went wrong. Once I am out, I am more than likely out for good. Drum corps is not so big that I won't find a way to live without it.

You make my point precisely. If there are a lot of people doing the same thing as you, it will be noticed, and adjustments will be made accordingly. You're entitled to leave with the memories of your personal experiences intact.