What do YOU want to see in today's drum corps?

What People Want...  

103 members have voted

1. 1. What do YOU want to see in drum corps today

• G bugles, symmetrical drill, marching keyboards, pre-kevlar drum heads, zero amplification whatsoever
    • G bugles, symmetrical drill, marching keyboards, kevlar drum heads (modern battery equipment), zero amplification
    • G bugles, symmetrical drill, front ensemble, modern battery equipment, zero amplification
    • G bugles, asymmetrical drill design, front ensemble, modern battery, zero amplification
    • G bugles, asymmetrical drill, front ensemble, modern battery, amplification of front ensemble, no vocal amplification
    • Bb horns, asymmetrical drill, front ensemble, modern battery, amplification of front ensemble, no vocal amplification
    • Bb horns, asymmetrical drill, front ensemble, modern battery, total amplification
    • Bb horns, asymmetrical drill, amped front ensemble, modern battery, electronic instruments, no vocal amplification
    • Bb horns, asymmetrical drill, amped front ensemble, modern battery, electronic instruments, vocal amplification
    • Unlimited instrumentation (woodwinds), asymmetrical drill, amped front ensemble, modern battery, electronic instruments, vocal amplification
  2. 2. What style of show (type of repertoire) would YOU prefer in drum corps today?

• No specific program (patriotic)
    • No specific program (jazz)
    • No specific program (classical)
    • No specific program (mixed genre)
    • Specific program (patriotic)
    • Specific program (jazz)
    • Specific program (classical)
    • Specific program (contemporary)
    • Musically structured and dominated
    • Visually structured and dominated

What does the typical spectator or participant want to see in the activity? I want to find out what direction people want to see drum corps move in or stay in.

If your criteria for your vision of the activity is not exactly as it is found on the list, please list your specifications.

This topic should contain posts about what you WANT to see in the activity, not what you DON'T WANT to see!! I am very interested in the results.

Note: A "specific program" is a show with a clear theme (Phantom of the Opera, Spin Cycle, etc.), while a non-specific program would entail no main theme.

Edited by ChildProdigy'89'05

too complicated...too many choices.

dumb it down for me. make my choices for me.

Yeah, that will be easier.

haha, try your hardest. :peek:

This topic should contain posts about what you WANT to see in the activity, not what you DON'T WANT to see!! I am very interested in the results.

EDIT - oops, sorry, I didn't notice it was a poll. Long winded post follows. I'd delete it but it took too long to write it.....

OK because you probably know what I don't want, but in return, I don't want to read replies that say "you could get that with electronics and narration" - deal?

Let's see....

Great music - first and foremost. It doesn't have to be a theme. I ignore themes, most of them are pompous crap that's published in the off season and I tend to forget about as soon as it's announced. I don't care if the first tune is Philip Glass and the last tune is AC/DC, I don't care if it's an old favourite or an original composition, I just want great music that I could hum as I leave the stadium. And I want to want to hum it, if you know what I mean....

I want to give a standing ovation to every corps for three reasons:

...1 - because they just deserve the respect for the hard work, regardless of the level of achievement

...2 - because I'm blown away by the technical expertise. I watch battery for that because I have some idea of what the difficulty is. I get this quite a bit in modern drum corps - so this box is ticked.

...3 - the biggest one for me - because it moves me emotionally. Shows like SCV's Phantom of the Opera that put shivers up my spine, choke me up, feel inspired and uplifted. This, I'm afraid, I don't get so much any more. Impressed as hell with the ability, but the writing often just make me say "so what?"

I miss the "big tricks" of the guards circa 1980's. Think those killer equipment exchanges a la 27th Lancers or Cavies. I'm afraid I just don't tune into the visual much anymore and the WGI like subtleties of dance sans equipment disappears beyond the 15th or so row of seats. However, I do want to see the drill continue to evolve as it has. The designs are nothing short of phenominal.

I want to see and hear execution. I don't always. The cost of the amazing drills mentioned above is a ton of dirt even from top ranked corps.

I want to see some tradition. Not enough that the design is stifled (concerts and colour pre - no thanks) - but I don't want Troopers to be afraid to play a lick of "How the West was Won" or BAC afraid to really let loose with "Conquest". Like SCV revising "Fiddler" - we know the judges would crucify them, but we also know the crowd would go absolutely nuts.

And that's really the essence of it - I want to see the corps play to the fans, not to the definition of what constitutes box 5. I want a 60 man hornline to "hit" like a 60 man line, not a very well controlled 30 man line.

I want everyone to have a killer bass solo, but that's just me. :peek: I live for basslines.

And I want to see the kids enjoy their performance. Seeing a kid trying to hold the final pose while they are so excited they want to jump around, or a kid choked up at the end of his/her show chokes me up, because I've felt what they feel.

That's about it. I'll probably think of more later, or see someone elses post and wish I'd have thought of what they said. This will do for starters....

Good question. Cheers!

Edited by kusankusho

EDIT - oops, sorry, I didn't notice it was a poll. Long winded post follows. I'd delete it but it took too long to write it.....

OK because you probably know what I don't want, but in return, I don't want to read replies that say "you could get that with electronics and narration" - deal?

Let's see....

Great music - first and foremost. It doesn't have to be a theme. I ignore themes, most of them are pompous crap that's published in the off season and I tend to forget about as soon as it's announced. I don't care if the first tune is Philip Glass and the last tune is AC/DC, I don't care if it's an old favourite or an original composition, I just want great music that I could hum as I leave the stadium. And I want to want to hum it, if you know what I mean....

I want to give a standing ovation to every corps for three reasons:

...1 - because they just deserve the respect for the hard work, regardless of the level of achievement

...2 - because I'm blown away by the technical expertise. I watch battery for that because I have some idea of what the difficulty is. I get this quite a bit in modern drum corps - so this box is ticked.

...3 - the biggest one for me - because it moves me emotionally. Shows like SCV's Phantom of the Opera that put shivers up my spine, choke me up, feel inspired and uplifted. This, I'm afraid, I don't get so much any more. Impressed as hell with the ability, but the writing often just make me say "so what?"

I miss the "big tricks" of the guards circa 1980's. Think those killer equipment exchanges a la 27th Lancers or Cavies. I'm afraid I just don't tune into the visual much anymore and the WGI like subtleties of dance sans equipment disappears beyond the 15th or so row of seats. However, I do want to see the drill continue to evolve as it has. The designs are nothing short of phenominal.

I want to see and hear execution. I don't always. The cost of the amazing drills mentioned above is a ton of dirt from top ranked corps.

I want to see some tradition. Not enough that the design is stifled (concerts and colour pre - no thanks) - but I don't want Troopers to be afraid to play a lick of "How the West was Won" or BAC afraid to really let loose with "Conquest". Like SCV revising "Fiddler" - we know the judges would crucify them, but we also know the crowd would go absolutely nuts.

And that's really the essence of it - I want to see the corps play to the fans, not to the definition of what constitutes box 5. I want a 60 man hornline to "hit" like a 60 man line, not a very well controlled 30 man line.

I want everyone to have a killer bass solo, but that's just me. :tongue: I live for basslines.

And I want to see the kids enjoy their performance. Seeing a kid trying to hold the final pose while they are so excited they want to jump around, or a kidn choked up at the end of his/her show chokes me up, because I've felt what they feel.

That's about it. I'll probably think of more later, or see someone elses post and wish I'd have thought of what they said. This will do for starters....

Good question. Cheers!

I found out about drum corps in 2004 and I pretty much agree with all of this. :peek:

I prefer/don't mind...

* Bb horns--darker and yet more brilliant sound than G, its more symphonic. +plus easier to play. (G is all good though :tongue: )

* Amplified front ensemble--players can play with better technique because they don't have to hack, plus it will bring in more talent, that I am sure. Professionals don't endorse sloppy hacking.

I have never heard vocals in any marching band or drum corps show that have sounded like they belonged there. I think this should fall under the category of: Does not sound nice/wrong idiom. It's just not conducive to sounding pleasant at all. Somehow, if it's not amped, I don't mind it at all (Boston 2000).

*Electronic Instruments--they are a part of music as it is. They will be a part of any ensemble you will find. Electronic instruments do not have "fake" sounds, they are created like any other sound if you break down what sound actually is. Plus, it is still instrumental. However, the over reliance on these instruments will sound tacky and uncharacteristic of a true symphonic sound. Music at it's highest level is in the symphony orchestra. They aren't replacing instruments with electronic ones, yet the use of an electronic instrument can still be acceptable. Drum corps needs to find an acceptable use for them, so they aren't masking or clouding what the actual instrumentation is (brass and percussion), or make anything sound corny, just like an orchestra would do. I hope that makes sense.

*Instrumentation is limited to brass and percussion instruments--drum corps instrumentation is brass and percussion, electronics can produce woodwind sounds, but that would cloud the actual instrumentation. Adding anything besides brass and percussion will make it not be drum corps. If you add a string section to a concert band, it is no longer a concert band, it is an orchestra.

*Players should be able to learn how to make their instrument effective for themselves. Brass instruments have always projected just fine, amping the brass is unnecessary, as they were conceived in order to play out doors anyway.

Design wise, I want to see...

4. Integrated Colorguard--I think guards are being stressed more and more, but I'm losing them. They need to integrated with the horns more, and have standard equipment. I think they need to be less spread out and in and around shapes and forms more closely. My favorite guard moment ever is in Phantom 04, where the guard fills in the heart shape. More of those moments need to happen.

3. A long ### drum solo with a groove--It's why people like them, kudos Cavaliers

2. New Visual Moments--Things like the ladders in Cavies 05, 07 Crown, Just great displays of talent and creativity. I wish these could be more limited in shows honestly, to use ideas conservatively. Then they will be more special and memorable.

1. Musically Dominant shows--I also would love to leave a show and be able to remember what I heard, even if I have never heard it before. Phantom 03 :peek:

OK, I went with the last G bugle option. I'm OK with the pit amplification, but do what you said you were going to do. Reduce the number of instruments and play with concert technique. Otherwise, lose the amps.

That said, I can be a little flexible. I can live with Bb, but make them ALL in Bb. And make them project. You don't need to amp brass unless they're wussy horns (or players). Most corps can melt your face, or at least part your hair. Why amplify them? If there's a solo, everyone else plays softer. Which part of this is so confusing? If the oboe has a solo in the symphony, the brass doesn't blast away and the strings don't saw away. It's relative dynamics. Simple, eh?

This activity should always be dominated by the music. Creating a visual concept then trying to find music to sell it is bass-ackwards, IMO. I'd rather have great music composed/arranged, and then try to visually interpret the music.

Garry in Vegas