Instructor's caucus

Are you talking about Scott Johnson? Scott and Tim were both laughing about it, though Scott's one-liners elicited some real laughter while Tim's got the "courtesy" version. It's also easier to be heard with a mic, which kind of brings this into perspective. Maybe they should have a wireless mic in the audience next year so they can be heard equally as well as the caucus members. Kind of like amping brass so they can be heard over "hot" pit amps.

Really...blew up?

Garry in Vegas

I thought you were not there. You keep coming back to dispute people who were there, yet you weren't.

Edited by TXMystreaux

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought you were not there. You keep coming back to dispute people who were there, yet you weren't.

People that were there have differing viewpoints. You were not there either but you are only defending one viewpoint.

I think we have gone round the bend

Over the deep end is more like it.

I've spoken to Tim since my first post. He did not storm out of any session; he didn't threaten to sue anybody, including DCI; one question posed to Hopkins went unanswered...that's kind of rude, considering it offered Hopkins an opportunity to address at least one concern about the use of amplification, yet he chose to ignore the question.

I knew these proposals wouldn't get approved. What I hoped would happen would be some serious discussion about the use of amplification. Instead, they chose to dismiss them outright with little to no discussion. Which makes me think about a quote I read about 29 years ago and sticks with me today. In this case it's quite appropriate: It's what you learn after you know it all that makes the difference.

Evidently the instructors know everything there is to know about the appropriate and responsible use of amplification. That will be the downfall, that they already think they are the experts. Be prepared for some really bad effects once electronics are added. Since there's no accountability, as the sheets don't seem to address the appropriate use of amplification, they've got a free ride.

Another thing that reeks of insincerity is Hopkins' quote from the DCI.org interview.

"As to how the Cadets might use electronics come 2009, “I haven’t really thought about it whatsoever,” said Hopkins."

Really? After several years of proposals aimed at legalizing amplification and electronics, Hopkins hasn't thought about it? Well, it's time someone started thinking. I don't even start my car without thinking about it. Isn't it irresponsible to push an agenda without thinking about it? I'd have at least a five year plan in effect. In fact, in two instances (restarting VK in 1980 and founding SoCal Dream in 2002), that's exactly what we did. You have to if you want something to succeed.

Someone suggested earlier that DCI had "jumped the shark." I have to agree, and Hopkins is Fonzie.

Finally (whew!), Tim told me he can't re-submit his proposals until 2009 for implementation in 2011. Wait...didn't the electronics proposal just fail last year, 10-10? Yet it was re-submitted again this year? OK, DCI, what's the rule here? Some people can re-submit annually and some can't? Reeks of elitism.

Garry in Vegas

PS For what it's worth, I have the utmost respect for every corps member who puts out the effort and wears the uniform to entertain the fans and amaze us with outstanding displays of achievment. Which makes me want to challenge the powers that be even more. Don't think of me as an adversary. I'm more of an advocate, wanting to preserve drum corps for not only the current generation, but for future generations as well. I consider Tim a friend, though we've never met in person. I believe he has the same passion for drum corps that I have, and the same desire to protect it from uncontrolled changes that may not be beneficial to the corps in the long run. GP

Edited by CrunchyTenor

I've a feeling some are allowing personal biases to cloud their perception of what really happened, but I know others who were there that saw it differently. Aren't we allowed to debate this? Several people have defended the comments I've made. Can you dispute them? Other than those posting an opposing POV, have you talked to anyone who was there? I have. Including Tim.

So, what do you think about having a mic for the audience at the next meeting? It might make communication clearer.

Garry in Vegas

Edited by CrunchyTenor

PS For what it's worth, I have the utmost respect for every corps member who puts out the effort and wears the uniform to entertain the fans and amaze us with outstanding displays of achievment. Which makes me want to challenge the powers that be even more. Don't think of me as an adversary. I'm more of an advocate, wanting to preserve drum corps for not only the current generation, but for future generations as well. I consider Tim a friend, though we've never met in person. I believe he has the same passion for drum corps that I have, and the same desire to protect it from uncontrolled changes that may not be beneficial to the corps in the long run. GP

You know, I really don't agree with Hopkins' vision for DCI. I really don't. But when I see quotes like the above, something just doesn't quite work.

What you say about being an advoctate for future generations in an attempt to "preserve drum corps" may work for current marching members who agree with you. But surely you must see that it comes across as nothing but patronizing for any current or future marching members who might be marching or thinking about marching because they actually like the direction they see DCI going in. You understand that, right?

Finally (whew!), Tim told me he can't re-submit his proposals until 2009 for implementation in 2011. Wait...didn't the electronics proposal just fail last year, 10-10? Yet it was re-submitted again this year? OK, DCI, what's the rule here? Some people can re-submit annually and some can't? Reeks of elitism.

Wow, that's very lame. Perhaps it has something to do with having to be a director to resubmit each year?

Anyway, I don't like the fact that it seems there's no judging accountability for amplification and electronics....that's just failure on an epic scale when everything else is judged to the nth degree caption wise...

Eh, guess we'll watch the grand experiment chug along a few more years and see what we get. It's about all you can do now.

...maybe someone will break the cycle and use electronics in a good way that isn't something like "Bird Calls and Whale Songs ,'Tis A Watery Way to Self-Discovery in Eb" one of these days. :tongue:

You know, I really don't agree with Hopkins' vision for DCI. I really don't. But when I see quotes like the above, something just doesn't quite work.

What you say about being an advoctate for future generations in an attempt to "preserve drum corps" may work for current marching members who agree with you. But surely you must see that it comes across as nothing but patronizing for any current or future marching members who might be marching or thinking about marching because they actually like the direction they see DCI going in. You understand that, right?

Absolutely. By preserve I mean long term survival, and not necessarily in the form I prefer. How about ombudsman, holding people accountable for decisions? If drum corps goes in a certain direction, I really can't control that unless I start teaching again or become a director again, this time with a voting member. Someone has to keep people honest about the proposals they make, the changes on the agenda, etc. What's wrong with asking a few questions and expecting an honest answer? What's wrong with making people think? It's a method I've used in teaching since 1975, and it works. If someone doesn't answer (as in the case presented in my earlier post), it generally means they don't know the answer. If Hopkins is asked a specific question about how Cadets use amplification, he darn well better have an explanation, especially since he championed the rule change. If I don't know how to drive, I better stay out of the drivers' seat.

I don't dislike George Hopkins as a person. He's probably a real fun hang. (After all, he's a drummer!) But in his position as director of the Cadets and a DCI BoD member, he should be accountable for his actions. [Added after Lance's response below] As should all corps directors, BoD members and instructors.

And I'm sure you understand that. :tongue:

Garry in Vegas

Edited by CrunchyTenor

I understand it, and I'm all for what you're doing. But I think it's better to call it like it is. Your intentions and words preclude you from being the friend of all marching members, no matter how you implore them to think of you that way. For those who agree with you about everything you just said about Mr. Hopkins, it goes without saying they know you're on their side. For those who don't, it comes across as something else.

DUH! Double post!

Garry in Vegas

Edited by CrunchyTenor