Destination: Day Off

Location, location, location  

115 members have voted

1. 1. Where Would You Spend Your Day Off?

• Major City
    • Beach
    • Large Shopping Mall
    • National Park
    • Major Sporting Event
    • Other

I like the mall. It represents a slice of the culture from which you've been removed for the summer.

Cities can be fun too.

The best is San Antonio... sweet mall in the middle of a nice city.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, just saw the "National Park" option...a NP would be pretty lame because there's not a lot to do besides walk/hike around (which is not what I want to do on my day off) and they're really crowded in the summer.

However, we did stop in a State Park/Recreation area in Tennessee in '05, and that was probably the best free day that corps ever had. There was something for everyone to do: there was a barbeque, the place had horseback rides, we played ultimate frisbee with our brass staff, and there was a big lake with a beach. The tuba section got together and rented a boat, then cruised around for a few hours, swam, and cracked open some Bud Lights. Then we sat on the couches in the airconditioned main lodge and watched TV :shutup:

Off days were pretty rare back the pre fossil fuel era of drum corps. I can remember performing a parade in a Six Flags (over Gergia?), where we were given a few free hours to have fun in the amuzement park. We went on a few rides and such, but it didn't feel like a corps experience to me. The park was so large that we all went our seperate ways. I can't even remember who I was with that day. End result is that I don't remember it being anything special. Oh, well.

We did the same gig at the same park in 1971 on the way back to Garfield from VFW Nats in Dallas.

Our tour structure was far different than today, so days off was not a concept we understood. :shutup:

I vote for the beach, as some of my best times were partal days off in Wildwood NJ during AL and VFW States.

I really enjoyed the free day in Chicago we got each I marched. It was a great city, and the pizza was fantastic.

In 2006, we were given the choice of either going to the Wisconsin Dells or going to a water park/amusement park. We knew that we weren't going to do very well in finals, so it was nice to hang out with my friends for one last time instead of rehearsing. I and a few of my close friends from that summer chose the amusement park, and I had a great time. I rode some rollercoasters, went down some water slides, and witnessed people laughing at my snare drummer friend's weird tan line.

Major Sporting event. Although there really are none during drum corps season. I'd rather go to a national park than anything other than the sporting event. Many of us say that we've been to all of these different states and what not, but all we've really seen of them is the football field we're practicing on and the stadium we're performing in. It would be amazing to really check out some beautiful scenery in any given state.

In one summer, I had the following free days.

- Kalamazoo (bowling and cheap, cold refreshment)

- Madison, WI

- Battle of Little Big Horn Site

- Seattle

- San Francisco

- New Orleans

- San Antonio

- New York City

That was an awesome tour. Montreal free days aren't bad, either. :-)

I voted for Big cities. Last year we were given a free day in chicago, it was the best freeday we had.