Is there an untouchable rule change?

I seem to recall the same sort of techmical problem things said about amps as reasons they would not be adopted. And then, Shazam!

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not like you #### off anyone any more. Those that are going to get bent out of shape are about as bent over as they can get, so what difference would it make?

This might be one of the truest things ever uttered on the Planet.

I seem to recall the same sort of techmical problem things said about amps as reasons they would not be adopted. And then, Shazam!

The difference is that pads, reeds, etc. get a lot of physical use throughout the course of the season. An amp just has an on and off switch; there's no manual repetitive manipulation of anything on amp. Additionally, corps can unplug and cover their amps in bad weather or (more often) just rehearse without them. If you field a full woodwind line not being able to rehearse in bad weather would be a pretty significant problem.

Woodwinds will pass. We (in the "anti-amp" camp) said it years ago when fighting amplification with the petition that we signed (to NO effect). Another petition to not consider woodwinds would simply be laughed at. The instructors of these corps have too much ego and think they and only they know what's best for the activity. They aren't thinking about the fans (at least not the fans they have, they're thinking about all of the band kids they will get and $$$). Frankly, I'm very angry about the state of the activity. It takes a lot for me to restrain myself, but I have to remind myself "It's only entertainment and not important". But I'm pretty mad anyway. This is one of two hobbies that I have, and it infuriates me that others are changing it and making it sound like (in my opinion) crap. I'm done....(with this post because who cares anyway, right?)

Edited by Cardman

Woodwinds will pass. We (in the "anti-amp" camp) said it years ago when fighting amplification with the petition that we signed (to NO effect). Another petition to not consider woodwinds would simply be laughed at. The instructors of these corps have too much ego and think they and only they know what's best for the activity. They aren't thinking about the fans (at least not the fans they have, they're thinking about all of the band kids they will get and $$$). Frankly, I'm very angry about the state of the activity. It takes a lot for me to restrain myself, but I have to remind myself "It's only entertainment and not important". But I'm pretty mad anyway. This is one of two hobbies that I have, and it infuriates me that others are changing it and making it sound like (in my opinion) crap. I'm done....(with this post because who cares anyway, right?)

First of all, I can tell you that WW are not popular at all with the instructor's caucus. The brass guys arn't about to give up trumpets for clarinets. I know this having spoken to many instructors.

Second, instructors vote because they would like to have the freedom to try new things. That is all. Contrary to popular belief, very few people can make a decent living from drum corps. With the exception of a select few, very few people can do DC as their primary career. An example.. GH's salary is normal for a head of a non-profit of YEA's size. He does not have any personal endorsment deals. Last I checked, he drives a 2002 Eord Expidetion with 300,000 miles on it.

Finally, if you now hate drumcorps, leave, and quit #####ing about it here.

I think the only "untouchable" rule... is Rule # 1.

1. Whatever Hoppy wants, Hoppy gets."

and, in regards to WW maintainence while on tour....just how much fixin' do those plastic flut-o-phones need, anyway? (Remember those, from 3rd grade?)

:rolleyes:

The difference is that pads, reeds, etc. get a lot of physical use throughout the course of the season. An amp just has an on and off switch; there's no manual repetitive manipulation of anything on amp. Additionally, corps can unplug and cover their amps in bad weather or (more often) just rehearse without them. If you field a full woodwind line not being able to rehearse in bad weather would be a pretty significant problem.

And yet there have been repeated reports of technical issues with amps during shows - something that was suppsedly all ironed out during the many years that BOA had been using this "innovation".

Am I the only one who honestly thinks a corps would never march a full woodwind section? I mean, wouldn't a saxophone fall apart from the wear and tear, sweat, rain and dirt that comes along with a typical drum corps season?

The logistics of some of the rules changes sometimes doesn't seem to matter.

A concert marimba costs much more than a clarinet or a saxophone, and it most definitely suffers from its use in the elements and hauling it around on a Uhaul truck, but yet, years ago it was allowed and now is a staple in the pit.

I think a sax or a clarinet could make it through a six to eight week tour, if the member takes care of it properly, and I'm sure the BoD knows that and so the issue of wear and tear will not be a problem in passing their addition.

Also, wouldn't their be a huge drop in the talent when it came to woodwind auditionees? I mean brass players grow up knowing they can march corps on their instrument. It'd take a ton of recruiting and advertising and such just to get halfway decent woodwind auditionees.

What? Are you really suggesting that woodwind players are not as talented as brass players simply because they don't have the chance to march in corps? Wow. Man, you are really giving drum corps a little too much power, aren't you? I guess it's not possible for a WW player to excel because they want to get better? Or they want to make All State? Or they have other playing aspirations after band? But no...if they can't march in drum corps, they might as well not even try.

I know that is not how you might have meant it, but it certainly came out that way. My daughter is a WW and she is furious that you made such a comment.

Look to the caucuses. That's where these changes are really born and grown. And to date, adding woodwinds does not have, nor has it ever had the kind of groundswell momentum of support from the instructors the way amplification and electronics had. Never.

So in order for woodwinds to be allowed, it would manifest itself in one of the following three scenarios...

1) A woodwind soloist would be allowed, mic'd or whatever. But if they're gonna go for that, they would just go for the whole kit and kaboodle. Very unlikely.

2) Woodwinds of all types would be allowed with as many members as the corps see fit, but the membership limit of 150 would remain the same. This would require that at least half the brass section would be eliminated and replaced with woodwinds. In short, ain't gonna happen.

3) Woodwinds of all types would be allowed with as many members as the corps see fit, and the membership limit would be expanded to at least 200, possibly more.

Of all the scenarios, this would be the most likely one. And here's why we aren't likely to ever see it happen...

When you start adding members to that degree, now you have to start adding buses. Adding buses means...

$$$ for said buses

$$$ for added instruments

$$$ for instrument storage space on the equipment truck (or possibly adding another truck or small equipment vehicle)

$$$ for added uniforms and uniform storage space (see above)

$$$ for added FOOD and food storage space (see above)

$$$ for instruction

$$$ for added FUEL costs

And are there added insurance costs Im not aware of as well? Not sure, so I won't include it.

Add it all up and we're talking about hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of thousands of dollars to each corps' annual budget. Even with tour fees helping to lessen the burden, that's still a significant financial commitment. Far greater than any rule change has impacted in the past ten years. Now I don't know the specifics of all the corps' financial data, but I'm thinking it's a pretty safe bet that no current DCI corps has the desire or the resources to add all of this to their already full plate. Furthermore, I can only think of one director (possibly two) who would even think about going near this at all. And guess what...even George doesn't have the power to convince the YEA Board of Directors that the Cadets can pull this off financially. I'll tell you right now...they can't.

Long story short, woodwinds ain't gonna happen. The instructors don't want it and the directors can't afford it. And while I understand that amplification and electronics is not exactly cheap, the cost of that is a drop in the bucket in comparison to what adding woodwinds and buses and all that other stuff would cost. Even with sponsorship deals.

The only other possible scenario I can think of would be if DCI added an anything goes division and I simply don't see them as being ready to do that now or in the foreseeable future. Even if they wanted to.

Edited by rut-roh

On topic - for all those people that like to sign petitions and ####, why not start a proactive petition urging people not to consider woodwinds? We spend so much time doing stuff after the fact, why not get the jump on this issue.

Point taken, but petitions are for change. How can you petition to not change?

Start sending letters to directors, or simply ask them how they would vote on the issue if it came up so we could get a read on it? I think this is one decision that the fans could really have an impact on.

Yeah, those are steps that can be taken.