what matters and what doesn't!

are we that fickle? do we turn our backs?

It's reciprocal. DCI has made it very clear they are turning their backs on us. I'm just returning the favour.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so what you are saying is it's the old "it's all about me" thing. Sure people can attend or not. but most people will still regardless of how fired up so called "legacy" fans get about any of this.

the same things were uttered in the 70's when asymetrical drill began.

the same things were uttered in the 80's with pits and dance and unamped vocals added.

the same things were uttered in the 90's with 3 valve "bugles"

well you get the idea...

why should we be so personally insulted when rules change???

It's reciprocal. DCI has made it very clear they are turning their backs on us. I'm just returning the favour.

I guess I did'nt get that press release. please elaborate.

I guess I did'nt get that press release. please elaborate.

To do that would be to re-create just about every other thread on this rules forum. In short - by morphing drum corps into band, the legacy fan has been hung out to dry in favour of the high school band member demographic. In short - we don't matter to DCI anymore.

If you wish to discuss this further, fine, but there are a ton of threads following that theme already. Please jump in on one of those. Cheers.

Ok. I see where you are coming from. I just don't wish to be involved in a speculative whine fest about BOA at this time. So I think I pass on those threads. thanks for the conversation though

cheers back at ya.

R-E-S-P-E-C-T, find out what it means to me... OOOOHHH little respect, OOOOHHHHH little respect --- :shutup:

It is needed on both sides.

What would DCP be like without the flying poop? :rolleyes:

are we that fickle? do we turn our backs? Did the people who came before us turn their backs on us when we changed the activity in our day?

Some did leave, so I guess you could say "yes".

what gives us the right to be the arbiter of what is really drum corps?

Our financial support.

so what you are saying is it's the old "it's all about me" thing. Sure people can attend or not. but most people will still regardless of how fired up so called "legacy" fans get about any of this.

the same things were uttered in the 70's when asymetrical drill began.

the same things were uttered in the 80's with pits and dance and unamped vocals added.

the same things were uttered in the 90's with 3 valve "bugles"

well you get the idea...

why should we be so personally insulted when rules change???

Oh, I see where this is going. You view this reaction as "spite".

Emotions are running high right now. Several posters (not you) are deliberately rubbing salt in these fresh wounds. And, in response, you are hearing responses that sound spiteful.

For many people, though, it is not a matter of spite. At some point, if you change the activity dramatically enough, some will simply lose interest in it. They will "leave" the DCI audience - not out of spite, but out of disinterest. That wouldn't necessarily be a problem if the activity didn't require the financial $upport of bleachers full of fans - but the DCI touring model must have fans in the stands to survive.

Each change is different, though. Some affect more people than others. For instance, I don't think too many people lost interest in drum corps because inspections aren't part of the judging anymore. I think it's safe to say that changes like amplification and electronics have more of an effect in that regard.