what matters and what doesn't!

Members are not the same, back in the day it was more about local communities, many members could not even read music, people went out and participated for reasons that don’t really exist today

so your critique is really with society, not drum corps, if those reasons "don't exist today." shall we also blame george hopkins for changing the united states into one single community via capitalism and the invention of cable television and the internet?

Now, it’s a lot of elite bandos padding their resumes

this is the least accurate thing i've ever seen posted here -- clearly written by someone who hasn't been around a corps lately.

The members are not the same at all, so I don’t see how I can take your opinion seriously when the premise is so flawed and displays such a vast lack of knowledge regarding the history of drum corps

you are again trying to separate the "change" in drum corps from the overlying change in american society. this simply is not possible. it has nothing to do with the history of drum corps.

I’d rather give an under- privileged kid a break, a chance to really succeed when they did not have that chance before something the corps of old frequently offered. If some over privileged bando doesn’t do the dance I like, good bye…I’ll take my entertainment dollars elsewhere and they can get mommy and daddy to pay for their band camp next year !!!

you'd be surprised how many "under- privileged" kids bust their tails to join the corps of their choice. (raises hand.)

you are so uninformed regarding the current composition of drum corps, i'm not even sure how to respond to you. maybe go read some thomas kuhn -- "The Structure of Scientific Revolution". today's kids are challenging your very paradigm, and you won't even acknowledge it.

sincerely,

an elite bando who is padding his resume.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this thread has turned into something it was not intended to be. for those of you who wish for a return to yesteryear. maybe someday you wish will come true. the purposeof this thread was to remind people that drum corps is more than the sum of it's parts. many people are getting too hung up on things that are not importnat in the long run. the people who make up the drum corps community are the real assets. not the instrumentation or rules.

It is the current and future marching members that add to family of drum corps. I for the life of me can't fathom why some of you believe that you need to leave the activity. Of course you are free to do so. you are also free to write angry letters to george hopkins or whomever if that is what you wish to do.

I will continue to help the current drum corpsand it's members.

to the moderators: please feel free to close the thread. I do not wantthis to degenerate futher