The Death of Drum Corps

Here was an 11th place corps, but as they wind up for the push in “Softly as I Leave You” the crowd is going crazy! I mean, you can practically hear the flying babies hitting the artificial turf!

Get your babies ready August 8th! Hint; the Cavalier Alumni Corps (aka CAC888) will be performing after semi's this year.

Drum Corps is not yet dead ... Just kinda' hangin' on like the von Bulow woman after her husband tried to off her with insulin so he could run off with his lover, who used to act on Dark Shadows, but just kind of put her into persistently vegatative state while hubby got put on trial for attempted murder and, and ...

OK - I am stretching this, but the old school visuals and instrumentation could not survive. We you realistically go to a show today to see corps coming off the starting line, marching at 120BPM, standing still for minutes at a time (a la concert)? I doubt it.

It's not to say, I understand what some corps are trying to present, but there is a style that many corps align themselves with, and that what continues to capture me and my $$$$ support.

How right you are! Sorry to shorten your quote but as you may remember, I was in the first corps to introduce the gene that began the mutation to what the drum corps genus is now. I will never forget the day Carmen Cluna introduced to us the idea for our 1971 Woodstock show! We were flabbergasted. Simulate a riot? Run out of step on the field? The Contras are going to "attack" the American Flag guard? Smoke bombs? Gas masks?

And I will never forget the crowd reaction on the June night in Chester Pennsylvania when we unleashed that monster. Entertainment? You betcha! A fluke? Nosireebob! Same thing next night at Blue Rock's show in Wilmington - only that night an electrical storm erupted just as we started the intro to that portion of the show and as if on cue, a lightning bolt blew the sky into almost pure white for almost two seconds and we ran (just doing the show, mind you!) then the sky opened up with a torrent of rain. Our black plumes leaked dye all over our uniforms and we finished the show minutes later completely drenched and literally surrounded by the people who had left the stands!

No. There was no going back after that!

The production gene was introduced and evolution once it starts, never goes backward.

Yeah there are things I would like to incorporate into the shows again. The Color Presentation, for instance. If for no other reason than to speak to the quaint history of the activity - I'm sure there's a way to dance and salute the flag at the same time.

Like Dr. Frankenstein said: "It's Alive!"

Puppet

from Webster's

Main Entry:

2bugle

Function:

noun

Etymology:

Middle English, buffalo, instrument made of buffalo horn, bugle, from Anglo-French, from Latin buculus, diminutive of bos head of cattle — more at cow

Date:

14th century

: a valveless brass instrument that resembles a trumpet and is used especially for military calls

Any mention of key? No.

Hold your brass instrument with one hand, depress no valves and execute "To The Colors".

Oh, you don't know "To The Colors"? Then perhaps you are not a bugler.

Do the rules require a massive grounded pit?

Do the rules require stylized uniforms for separate units within the corps?

Do the rules prohibit a traditional entry and exit or a "Color Pre"?

The drum corps activity is populated with passionate people who may interpret the traditions differently. The fact remains that kids of all ages are preparing for a summer they will never forget.

I think the question is, has your passion for excellence performed on the field of honor been doused by your tears of nostalgia?

As someone who was on the field in 1982, I cherish that memory, the electricity of the night that I knew would be my last.

It is a memory that will be created anew this summer for others and I look forward to cheering those performances.

from Webster's

Any mention of key? No.

Hold your brass instrument with one hand, depress no valves and execute "To The Colors".

Oh, you don't know "To The Colors"? Then perhaps you are not a bugler.

Do the rules require a massive grounded pit?

Do the rules require stylized uniforms for separate units within the corps?

Do the rules prohibit a traditional entry and exit or a "Color Pre"?

The drum corps activity is populated with passionate people who may interpret the traditions differently. The fact remains that kids of all ages are preparing for a summer they will never forget.

I think the question is, has your passion for excellence performed on the field of honor been doused by your tears of nostalgia?

As someone who was on the field in 1982, I cherish that memory, the electricity of the night that I knew would be my last.

It is a memory that will be created anew this summer for others and I look forward to cheering those performances.

It is interesting (and perhaps ironic) to note that most of those "kids" are attendees of Colleges and Universities.

What is the age out now in World Class? 24?

I'm just saying…Still love the activity…don't get me wrong…but riddle me this: because while I too cherish every show I marched and every winter we rehearsed and all the friendships built; was there a time when you found yourself a seventeen year old on a stifling summer's night in the middle of executing and playing "The Exit" and then waking up in an ambulance being revived after passing our from exhaustion, oxygen deprivation or both? Many of my era can claim that experience. We ate, drank and slept Drum Corps. It was not by any means a summer diversion. Didn't mean to go on this way, because I do understand we live in different times now and words like passion and devotion do not have the same meaning on their face as they once did. It is for that I shed tears.

Puppet

Hey Puppet!

I think I hear what you're saying and let me see if I can help.

For me personally, at the show in Riverside CA in '82 I was sick with a flu.

They left me on the bus, lying in the aisle, half dressed. I missed all of warm-ups.

Someone came and roused me before the show and asked if I thought I could march.

I don't remember the show but I remember that I collapsed while trooping the stands and the guys behind me caught me and carried me, one under each arm, the rest of the way.

This last DCI there was a story here of a gal from Devs I think whose knee was a mess and she still went out and did the victory concert.

There was a bass drummer a few years ago in SCV whose knee was a mess and he finished the season even though he probably shouldn't have.

So, I am saying, get out there and meet the "kids" marching today and then adjudicate their level of passion and sacrifice. You may be pleasantly surprised.

Edit: w00t, 100th post!

Edited by the_aborigine

Hey Puppet!

I think I hear what you're saying and let me see if I can help.

For me personally, at the show in Riverside CA in '82 I was sick with a flu.

They left me on the bus, lying in the aisle, half dressed. I missed all of warm-ups.

Someone came and roused me before the show and asked if I thought I could march.

I don't remember the show but I remember that I collapsed while trooping the stands and the guys behind me caught me and carried me, one under each arm, the rest of the way.

This last DCI there was a story here of a gal from Devs I think whose knee was a mess and she still went out and did the victory concert.

There was a bass drummer a few years ago in SCV whose knee was a mess and he finished the season even though he probably shouldn't have.

So, I am saying, get out there and meet the "kids" marching today and then adjudicate their level of passion and sacrifice. You may be pleasantly surprised.

Edit: w00t, 100th post!

Precisely, my brother, and friend.

PS - You are missed.

DCP's favorite strawman argument.

One of my kids is now a competitive fencer . That activity has a high level of passion and sacrifice. Surprise - those qualities don't make it drum and bugle corps.

We can all point out admirable qualities about the participants in DC, and we should where appropriate.

But its irrelevant to whether DCI is drum and bugle corps.

On the topic of bugles, how ironic that the same individuals who come on DCP and bloviate about the "evolution of DC" and DCI trumpet bands being drum corps 'cause they say they are, will also argue that G-bugles aren't actually "bugles" even tho the G-bugle advocates (and all prior generations of DC fans) have said for years that such were bugles.

Edited by GuyW