Artsy fartsy?

If George were alive today, he would be on the cutting edge of the activity IMO, which includes dance. He was one of the most innovative minds the activity has ever seen, and I bet if he were alive today, he would fully approve of the direction we've gone.

I can't say what George would approve of, although I did know him pretty well, because he was so innovative, he did it within the realms of the rules and he created alot of what you are talking about from the past.

That was my point that he created alot of what they are doing in today's drum corps, that's why I was saying it's important not to dismiss it.

I wonder how many color guards today can catch a rifle without moving forward to catch it?

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't say what George would approve of, although I did know him pretty well, because he was so innovative, he did it within the realms of the rules and he created alot of what you are talking about from the past.

That was my point that he created alot of what they are doing in today's drum corps, that's why I was saying it's important not to dismiss it.

I wonder how many color guards today can catch a rifle without moving forward to catch it?

I'd like to see you throw a 6 or 7 in the wind and not move to catch it.

Sorry, perfect rotation every time on those tosses is a lot harder than the triples and quads that were thrown in your time.

MANY guards can catch a rifle without moving...its defintely easier indoors.

It seems that you're just focusing on the times you see some take a step to SAVE a toss.

I'd like to see you throw a 6 or 7 in the wind and not move to catch it.

Sorry, perfect rotation every time on those tosses is a lot harder than the triples and quads that were thrown in your time.

MANY guards can catch a rifle without moving...its defintely easier indoors.

It seems that you're just focusing on the times you see some take a step to SAVE a toss.

I'm not a color guard person. I'm a horn person who admires great color guards and what they did. Oh and No I'm not focusing on the times they step to save a toss, I see it ALOT in todays drum corps stepping out to catch and then "oops" a drop. Sorry but it's what I see as a fan.

I was making an observation on what the guards of 27, Cavies and Madison did back then...and in my time..if you watch the 86 video of our show they were throwing 6's and I believe an 8 in our concert number. You can go and listen to our concert piece on the website. And during the number you hear a perfect "catch" sound? That's the color guard catching in unison a 6 (or it could be a 8). And no, we weren't standing still in our concert number. Those were the times when innovation was taking form.

No, what I'm focusing on is how color guards were taught to catch that rifle. I know they were taught to stand against the wall and not move and if it hit you in the face that would be all the more reason for you to make a perfect catch.

I'm not here to argue who is better, frankly it's getting old and I'm sick and tired of it. I just was trying to point out, not to dismiss the history and what it brought to the future.

Edited by Lancerlady

No, what I'm focusing on is how color guards were taught to catch that rifle. I know they were taught to stand against the wall and not move and if it hit you in the face that would be all the more reason for you to make a perfect catch.

You know, there are some things I'm very glad we don't do anymore.....

I think guards of today could very easily do the guard work of yesteryear,however like some of the posts state, there is much less guardwork and too much prancing. Too much of the dance gets lost higher up in the stands.

Easily.....really?

I have a feeling some may be offended :thumbup:

You know, there are some things I'm very glad we don't do anymore.....

True, but I'm telling you what a guard captain told me once on how they were trained. I thought "Man that's really hard core".

Edited by Lancerlady

I enjoy the precision of the "old school" guards as much as I enjoy the interpretive nature of the "new school" guards. What I tend to miss nowadays are the bold spashes of color and the synchronization of movement associated with equipment work.

we must be from the same school of thought.

the thing that strikes me most about today's designers is the anti-visual crescendo. The brass and drums reaching a big crescendo and the guard is dancing with little or no equipment. I always thought color was one of the best ways to emphasize the big impacts within the show structure.

on the flip side...I love how much more integrated the guard is within the body of the rest of the corps. No more backfield off 25 yards waving to and fro...but right in the mix of things.

my thoughts at this moment.

I've been going to indoor shows since before they had music. I've watched the development of the indoor show into something incredible. I really, really enjoy going to indoor shows. They are absolutely amazing...INDOORS.

What we seem to be missing here is that winter/indoor guards are a completely different facet of the guard activity than summer/outdoor guards.

You have to write for the venue. If you can't catch a 7 , or 8, or 9, in the wind, don't write it into the show. From the layman's POV, it just looks like a mistake. Heck, from my POV, as someone who has been watching drum corps and color guards for 4 decades, it still looks like a mistake. Sorry, I can't just excuse it because it has infinitessimal rotations. Throw something you can catch, or don't throw it. And, please, throw something I can see.

There are some things that are amazing inside a gym that just don't work outside in a football stadium, or even in an indoor stadium. The setting is just too big for subtle nuances. A big stage requires big performances. Little hand gestures don't work from the third tier. Sabers are hard to see. We've already addressed earth tones.

You know why so many drumlines use white sticks? Because it looks so cool in unison, and it can be seen against most uniforms. Remember when Regiment used yellow sticks? White uniform jackets.

If you think about it, most corps/band uniforms are designed and made in shades that will look good on a green field. (Which is why a lot of uniforms look terrible at the Boise show on the Smurf Turf.) Why not use colors that look good on the given background and compliment the corps-proper uniform?

Here's an example. One of the HS's I used to teach in SoCal had a different uniform for the drumline. It was a completely different style. When I got there, I had them put into the regular uniform for Fall season. What happened was that the whole music ensemble looked bigger, and the drill design worked much better visually. (And we still had that other uniform for winter drumline, too.) The guard uniform was chosen to compliment the band uniform, and that made the whole visual package complete.

Now, go back to BD's guard uniforms in the early 80's. Different than the corps-proper, but complimentary. Regiment in 89. Different but complimentary.

Which brings up the concept of "uniform." What I see on a lot of guards now is not uniform at all. Each costume (which I think is a better word for what's out there now) has to be a little different. Well, heck, why not put each corps member in something a little different? Because it will muddy the big picture.

So, to reiterate, big stage=big performance. Small stage ideas don't work on the big stage. I just think the focus is so much on the small picture, the big picture isn't defined and the subtleties just get lost.

I don't want electronics to include JumboTron screens so we can see what's going on.

Garry in Vegas